snagglepuss

Snagglepuss Motors - Wheely good

Never seen it down to days, but how long you have owned the car makes a difference to the premium.

Remember a Xantia I changed for the exact same model, year etc et just lower mileage. and they wanted £100 more for the new car.  Queried and was told as above.  Out of curiosity ran a quote for new car owning it a year, and sure enough was same price as old Xantia. 

Apparently it’s down to how organised they reckon you are.

People who need a policy to start straight away are, in their eyes, likely to be the sort of person who takes unnecessary risks whereas those who plan ahead are deemed to be a safer bet.

Apparently.

Just don’t tell them you’re the type of person who sets off across Manchester in the evening rush hour to collect an unseen K11 with a sticky caliper and a suspect fuel gauge that you’ve ‘won’ for pennies from someone you’ve never met on a strange website with ‘shit’ in the title whilst equipping yourself with nothing more than a pair of borrowed trade plates and 20 litres of water to throw over the aforementioned caliper on the hard shoulder of the M60 should the need arise.

10 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Just don’t tell them you’re the type of person who sets off across Manchester in the evening rush hour to collect an unseen K11 with a sticky caliper and a suspect fuel gauge that you’ve ‘won’ for pennies from someone you’ve never met on a strange website with ‘shit’ in the title whilst equipping yourself with nothing more than a pair of borrowed trade plates and 20 litres of water to throw over the aforementioned caliper on the hard shoulder of the M60 should the need arise.

You're full of good ideas. You can tell you're in the trade.

In a slightly complicated deal, I have bought back a car and then swapped that car plus another one for a Saab Aero estate with no MOT. More of that later

Part of the deal includes as set of alloys that had a few marks. Mr N Monkey helpfully suggested that I should be able to home refurb them to make then look ok.

At his garage we had a poke and then he whipped out the air sander to start getting the worst of the marks off

29ef423a9b4c061449ad27210caff5d6.jpg0950e7e8fd2e4280a52f06b0f617a9d4.jpg30ac0f9e61ca35fc5c07fc9de0a6e56b.jpg

This got quite a lot off. They had obviously bene powder coated in the past and that was where most of the marks were. 8ae148af18e8d8b73d29e3a12bf0416e.jpg1ea574f6f2d6c728dad27ed981a54440.jpg

Micra doubling up as courier wagon

8a403f2219f488ab36d3d4a150982653.jpg

Missus Puss is away this weekend so I have been using the time fruitfully. Trip to Halfords on the way home from park run sorted the bits

c34b6f09cf51fb2092a60fdf8c8c39c0.jpg32435b40d47c7a3020d9c68fb266d64e.jpg quite a comprehensive pack, also easy to use.

Also picked up lacquer and down anthracite wheel paint.

Into the garage and have a look at the wheels

096f2d31e279758ba578713d11eaf7e6.jpg6610bd679e8b8a05ddb0bcb0b6ef36c1.jpg

Grubby and needs some work. Cleaned down with thinners to get rid of the dust and grease

0de4c5a189fe7f78d769efd85df7d095.jpg

Then the wheels were sanded all over with 320 grit to get rid of small marks and key the surface. 4364232f12e3d3ba067a911efe53bb1e.jpg

Bolt holes needed to be covers so the 2ps I used on BAL came in use

b5feb8347e4595859e5365b91e830f01.jpg

Primer dug out of the cupboard and ready to spray

8ad3732e9dfafe31229c13659d4f068d.jpg

After two coats it doesn't look bad

4ba488276ef2d7d8dac0b1a7f2b936f5.jpg

Second wheel got the same treatment

5e74a4a0e0061e96a8ffff2511b2c9fb.jpg

The second wheel had some small gouges so the filler was out into action.

f0967b222b263dbccc7cf855f6798234.jpg9a5015b1400475beaec0494cb0edae7d.jpg

The kit has a mixing board with a hardener line so you know how much to mix

93b4b47abb32924dfefe04516e3ff1af.jpg

e796d6fef54f3bbc68da0203657b0a4c.jpge6d3769a0b833ff93fa06138b0e50969.jpg

Mixed and left to go off

d5a28c6d1c49d164e116eedba88a708f.jpg0a8dd4ec60e7fa300c6c8c12ffd1ef3f.jpg

Some sanding action got them smooth and flat

3d5aa95924a7f9c12a5391855e5acdc8.jpg

Now apply first primer coat 83b48a31f5eb3b1dfb505c6405858146.jpg

That is where I am up to. Idea is to get these two with two coats of paint on by the end of tonight. Let them cure whilst I then work on the second ones.

Overall I think they will come up ok. The kit is pretty good - £20 for everything you need.

Biggest trick is using the air sander. It got the marks our really quickly, I think by hand I would have given up!

Part two once I have got them sprayed up.

Those wheels look like they will come up nice for a relatively small investment. So does this complicated car swap deal mean the Micra is going?
Nope. I think the Micra is going to be a keeper. I love the simplicity of it all. It needs stuff doing such as 12v socket and stereo fitting but beyond that it is a lovely car.

3 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:
7 minutes ago, Broadsword said:
Those wheels look like they will come up nice for a relatively small investment. So does this complicated car swap deal mean the Micra is going?

Nope. I think the Micra is going to be a keeper. I love the simplicity of it all. It needs stuff doing such as 12v socket and stereo fitting but beyond that it is a lovely car.

That's nice to hear. A shitter needs a super simple, utilitarian runabout on the fleet anyway and that particular era of Micra is rather alluring. Other cars that satisfy this need and are also cool in my book are the Citroen AX and of course the Lupo!

Couple of coats of paint on

It is far from perfect but for spraying in freezing cold in a damp garage by someone who thinks good enough is the answer, they aren't bad.

5127cdbdd69712e0af519c0695c63e46.jpg5ea867fee5934558504c3cbe38f91128.jpgba77858401419a0349f23f513e4107e8.jpg

Colour was anthracite.

Will let the paint dry then PU lacquer them.

fuckin oem right there
tomorrow looking v cold will it be ok spraying stuff?

I think it just takes longer to dry. Ideally if I can get the other 2 sanded and primered tomorrow, I will be happy