snagglepuss

Snagglepuss Motors - Wheely good

I don't think this will be going anywhere as it becomes Missus Pusses daily. I am hoping that a little bit of fettling it will be good for many years.

As for Dibs I think currently there are 3 in the queue!

Belter. The oil leak is a serious win! Makes this even more of a bargain.

Nothing scary on the to-do list, if I may offer one or two tips:

- brake discs and pads. Piece of cake, but you will need an E socket (think thats just female torx), E18 from memory, to remove the pad carrier to allow the disc to come off. Pads just need 13 and 17mm spanners. 15mm socket for the wheels, T30 bit for the brake disc retaining screw. Plenty of E/torx stuff on these.

- drop links. Bit of a pain. The upper fixing will come off fine, the lower nut will not. It faces the road and gets all the water/salt/crap. You won't manage to counter hold it as it'll be too corroded. Best approach IMHO is get a windy/impact gun on it then (you may be lucky with a standard ratchet), assuming you manage to move the nut even a little bit before it siezes on the rust, push upwards on the thread. This will give a bit of room to allow you to cut the thing off just below the joint on the top of the wishbone. Pic of what I did hopefully below. ETA Northern NGJ Monkey Leeds will prob have relevant tools and experience to make this much easier than I found it!

From memory the turbo oil feed is two pipes that enter at the bottom of the unit, almost facing the ground. There is a gasket here (or should be) so perhaps this has failed. For reference, this is the pipe you're looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Fortwo-Roadster-450-452-Turbo-Oil-Coolant-Return-Supply-Pipe-0003152V005/202435156792?hash=item2f22135b38:g:ZpQAAOSw3KhbmVvP

It looks like it has had a sump with a drain plug fitted, which is a great addition. As standard the oil has to be sucked/pumped out of the dipstick hole. Use a decent quality oil filter, I've seen a number of cases of cheapo items breaking up.

What style were the spare alloys you got with it, out of interest?

drop link 2.JPG

drop link 3.JPG

All good info - Mr northern monkey is going to be sorting the bits when I am off in Thailand in July so I won't have to worry about that !

I have only got 3 of the wheels here the rest are in Plymouth as Montytom is holding on to them for me until I can get down to collect.  They look to be in good condition.

Oh I am so sorry I never realised it had all these problems i feel awful now. (I never meant to dupe you) if you want me too I can transfer some money back to help pay for the Bill's. Again I'm so sorry

8 minutes ago, montytom said:

Oh I am so sorry I never realised it had all these problems i feel awful now. (I never meant to dupe you) if you want me too I can transfer some money back to help pay for the Bill's. Again I'm so sorry

Sent you a PM - honestly mate I am over the moon with the car.

It's all bits that all cars need doing - it keeps me out of mischief 😀😀

30 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

Sent you a PM - honestly mate I am over the moon with the car.

It's all bits that all cars need doing - it keeps me out of mischief 😀😀

Ahh thankyou I just didn't want people thinking that I did that on purpose. Thanks again

And the Getz has gone to another AS.

dedd916c3e065257d048c64ddcfe3fae.jpg

Little bit sad about it to be honest, I hadn't realised how much I liked the fact it was low hassle, easy to drive and never let me down.

In between rain showers I decided to fit a new earth strap to the little Mazda. It has been having little electric issues (mainly due to the PPF frame earth has broken) but when I checked the battery earth it looked a bit manky with slightly frayed wires.

New cable was £3 from Halfords so seemed rude not to.

Old

cb54a85650d003544120c7b259ebc321.jpg

25cb1d4424af4d661321bcbc5a222337.jpg

The new one is a wee bit better wrapped

d10a7ed385d30436b759fec42e63708d.jpg

Plans for this weekend are to fix mx5 earth underneath, swap in poly drop link bushes, do 14 degree timing mod and if I get a chance change front ball joints plus tie rods.

The new hood is doing its job and the car is nice and dry inside which is great!

Mx5 fettling at the house of northern monkey.

First up was to fix the dodgy earth. It had snapped off the PPF.
6815eff65bbb4b392827ad5a5fa3996b.jpg

I had bought some new earth rings plus heat shrink
0669a01bbacd4ec2d5097de298fb8e5a.jpg

Man applied fire
074f96622764e8fa94562a516d9bccba.jpg

866aa91022dceaf9cba19f51f7ea2a2c.jpg

Cleaned up
PPF592b6ef6d31c9c63debab531f05fcdcd.jpg

Bonded
b425d1b3f6cea5e8f60cefe72932f711.jpg

Sadly it hasn't fixed the earth fault. I think I am going to have to have dash out to sort that.

Next on the job list was polybushing the drop links. They had been knocking a bit and were an advisory.

Unbolted - bit manky
4777e00a75627f7207c4da1b28a2705a.jpg8694ebd1bdd3b8d73686ec47d2bcc217.jpg

NM is a whizz at getting old bush out
65ff80ff216a55f1ad607c36bc2049eb.jpg6b18f9a343fb7d661428000a3b2a9373.jpgfdd2a58f04ab231aead2dfb9fcd5804c.jpg

Poly pushed in
04315f2cbd863870cec8391960892483.jpg029839492a425d682423b80b8306f05e.jpge3e04c988d145e0a4b4443fa88df3524.jpg

And fitted with new bolts (slightly too long I know)
8ce20f04edad028e28aa7360efe737c3.jpgb33c8b8258a8a9d66f53b022c6f47803.jpg

Drive home showed what a difference they made. No more knocks or bangs!

Whilst we were at it - ball joints and TRE.

7c636d415341b0c7d3d6fb554b3190a4.jpg847c9eab8d255fc5bdbbcb7de102eabf.jpg

TRE old and new
95e12c7ea91290d1e7b55be9496767ff.jpg

The balljoint on the drivers side put up a fight. Wouldn't yield to hammer blows, first splitter
66435040c1f607246c990f47b7935033.jpg

Fucksticks

Fork it
8145ab704cb85e0cbf5f09fedb7528b3.jpg

Job jobbed.
More work
c6a5a460c16341e4b8f70848349a06b9.jpg2c4e1f61f0b8a819e8e0b43278adbbed.jpg15529e3164443192e032150c99e72aaa.jpg

Excellent job.

I had an odd noise driving home from having the hood fitted. We had fitted an odd bolt last week so to eliminate that we swapped in same bolts

Rattle gun improvisation

b4c7cdaf3ac47ec0a802a1ca0d3ffe71.jpg

All fitted987b84a7885c83e1dd98c77161fa5e4b.jpg

Other issues to sort - earth issue, battery drain issue,exhaust is running against rear bumper and need to change top dust covers on front ball joints. Also thinking of changing all the new bolts for stainless items to avoid rustage.

We put the little car up on the ramps and ran it in gear to see if we could find the noise. It was very quiet and nothing obvious.

On the way home the noise started again. I think dust shield on the brakes are rubbing at the front - so that is next port of call.

Great result. Is that your own lift?
Nope - Northern Monkey lets me borrow his. Its invaluable in getting stuff done quickly, well plus the professional experience and impact gun :-)

We are doing autotesting next weekend so needs to be in decent fettle for that. I also need to slip a stereo in as Mr N Monkey doesn't do silence on his runs!

MX5/Eunos are the ultimate in terms of the pleasure principle,  fun vs cash spent there's literally nothing that comes close for me.

I think I'd actually had 8 of them by the time I sold the last one, if things were different life wise I'd be driving them now but times change! I'd like to think in another 20 years time I'll be growing old disgracefully and razzing round in a ropy Mk4.

Last night having beers and pondering the strange mx5 noise I realised I had upgraded the front brakes. When you do this you have to trim the back plates because otherwise they run on the bigger discs.

Guess what I hadn't done! With the hood being fitted I had forgotten I had done them. Time to rectify it today

Bits at the ready588b3b3dd498b0e9dd6ae97d746c6a7f.jpg

Backing plates are a bit rusty but not too bad.
f2f2eb93d506af4eb5abb4c6425ee5ee.jpg

My new aldi grinder (cheaper than a new battery for my Ryobi one) plus full face shield - after having explained to me how much fun* having metal picked out of you eyes is I have started being a bit more careful
2d6c48293a1525e233a40f5a9b58f439.jpg
Trimming
d6dec3f07d011c54783ba0f9fa422824.jpg

Other side
b18b2eaa2b02141cd9f1496342ff54b4.jpg
You can see here the issue
d4b19fc9a39e3756f5e5659a693c0a39.jpg
I guess this counts as weight reduction as well
5ff15f56c0e8ec946d13c08aa814b49b.jpg

Took it for a spin and noise is gone! I call that fixed :-)

Sadly the electrical issue hasn't sorted itself. Looks like someone has been in there before
a1e2ed76c4291c2293de7f8ed4d8c7e9.jpg

Just hanging down under the dash on passenger side - I think I am going to have the have the dash out to get to the bottom of it all.

Will remove the immoboliser at the same time - although may replace it with a different one.

dash out is a horrible job, when I was stripping the v-spec, I tried to take the dash out to paint but gave up and just masked and painted in situ. good luck :)

Took the mx5 for a spin which was very grin worthy.

I tried to have a look at the wiring.

These are the boxes dangling down
4455731168cc743ef7eda34465dcaea3.jpg427d73da5b7eebf24c4ce435e279d5cd.jpg

Googlefu brings up a post saying these were Mazda fitted alarm things.

This wiring is a bit scary
c7a7f7d5b1fd7f84dce7e3caac8dc68a.jpg

if they are genuine mazda, they are a disgrace :( what if you just disconnect the boxes and see what happens ? 

mine had those little ultrasonic things stuck to the top corners of the windscreen - I carefully* took them off and binned them, the alarm still works (I think) 

Reading mx5nutz it seems these are factory fit boxes ( to control windows and central locking) that once they stop working people replace with a new immobliser plumbed into the system.

This is what I suspect has happened. So aftermarket system tied tot the Mazda finish line.