Connector for the headlight arrived
eeb73ecadca47173b2f2c244b6848063.jpg

Electrical kit out
b6a264a71926772d36805ccf3ce05f05.jpg

Old connector off
ae4bf60dbbbe75d249c29d95ad64790c.jpg

New ceramic one fitted
f42def389c61eea76b2c0537fe0f5167.jpg

Drunk will also ordered a door bush set.

I hadn't remembered I had ordered them so was quite surprised when this package arrived
87773cc57e34a2b7b27b2f39c8e2f9c4.jpg

The old rubber ones get worn so some cheap 3d printed ones from eBay appeared today.

The doors then bang and flex when pushing on

Old ones
4af76a3c8818927d452a37f6064bed69.jpg
They go into this metal enclosures
4713cdcab403264eb9fdcb3f06dcaeb9.jpg

Old bush off and compared to new
618b90ec34bf57973c7d723eed3e9c89.jpg

New one on and given a squirt
8b57d85aa33cad4551676f24cb967f49.jpg
7735aa759e1712ce535f7e746a02d351.jpg

Doors miles less bangy now.

3 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

Post work quick bits done.

Connector for the headlight arrived
eeb73ecadca47173b2f2c244b6848063.jpg

Electrical kit out
b6a264a71926772d36805ccf3ce05f05.jpg

Old connector off
ae4bf60dbbbe75d249c29d95ad64790c.jpg

New ceramic one fitted
f42def389c61eea76b2c0537fe0f5167.jpg

Drunk will also ordered a door bush set.

I hadn't remembered I had ordered them so was quite surprised when this package arrived
87773cc57e34a2b7b27b2f39c8e2f9c4.jpg

The old rubber ones get worn so some cheap 3d printed ones from eBay appeared today.

The doors then bang and flex when pushing on

Old ones
4af76a3c8818927d452a37f6064bed69.jpg
They go into this metal enclosures
4713cdcab403264eb9fdcb3f06dcaeb9.jpg

Old bush off and compared to new
618b90ec34bf57973c7d723eed3e9c89.jpg

New one on and given a squirt
8b57d85aa33cad4551676f24cb967f49.jpg
7735aa759e1712ce535f7e746a02d351.jpg

Doors miles less bangy now.

Probably the wrong time to say this, but those rubber doorstop things have some adjustment in them to allow you to firm up the doors as they wear, swapping them from one side to the other coupled with some tinkering almost always makes them work as good as new.

Back in the mists of time I remember someone in MX5 circles ('Revlimiter perhaps?) making delrin ones and flogging them for something silly like £50! Crazy.

I hadn't thought of that.

Delrin ones are still £££. I have kept the old ones but you can pretty much squish them by hand so I think even swapping them over won't stop the knocking

Or perhaps drunk will just seduced by shiny things.

General mx5 lickers question - headlights. Won't always pop up when turn on the lights - I was hoping that he connector might fix it.

Symptoms

Turn headlights on and 40% of time they won't pop up. Lights are on. If I push the manual up button they always pop up.

Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

General mx5 lickers question - headlights. Won't always pop up when turn on the lights - I was hoping that he connector might fix it.

Symptoms

Turn headlights on and 40% of time they won't pop up. Lights are on. If I push the manual up button they always pop up.

Any ideas?

retractor relay

EDIT to say either that or the stalk.

Good work here, you're really getting this wee car sorted out. 

You can get similar door bush things for MR2s, be interested to here your thoughts on yours.

When do you fit the turbo?

Earlier today in a monsoon I had a visit from Bolton's Premier car whisperer to do some work.

As is the case with these celebrities I had to sign an NDA before he entered the premises.

He had the rover on a ramp
46650d5ba6da9e5da938945cefa5df0b.jpg

Then dodging the rain he cut out the rear sill one side
8fb32eb7490ca041dd745d9df08df245.jpg

Fed up of getting damp a hasty shelter was erected... f8ff6fe0df33394d5b65aba611fccd19.jpg

And more fettling happened.
00dcadbafcb63273b4fd7cd33f812c57.jpg

So rover is now metal tight - just needs an MOT before I can pass ownership along.

Thanks to Flat4alfa I have got a smoll haul of mx5 bits.

Collected them all in the great car swappage of this week.

First up is a bucket seat with side mounts - this is going to be sold on
3c373eae7bc3d5abf0c73b575b99d7a5.jpg20b5ba5d066f8f0c41dc69ac055a96ab.jpg

Next is a Nardi steering wheel in decent nick - again will stick it on eBay to see how much I can get back
79a4b2c553bb43f0140ef096f00140b3.jpg

Random brace
330afa95c1c40be6723a41610775d68b.jpg

Set of 3 point harnesses - undecided at the moment with these but come with all the mounting hardware
93a841477027d5580f97de3ca6c36c3d.jpg

Also got soft top catches, sunvisor and some bits.

The reason I got the bits was the exhaust as I need a new back box and this was cheaper. It's a bit bigger than I thought!

0408160aea8b1a746a38b0adf33165c5.jpg9de171e36962e4a108311fb45143ea17.jpg

If anyone has any desires on a Nardi steering wheel or bucket seat with side mounts give me a shout. Will be going on eBay once I am back from Scotland next week

Is it for sale?
Nope, once I work out where it bolts on to it will be suitably bolted on.

At moment I am just going to get rid of the bucket seat and Nardi steering wheel.

7 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

If anyone has any desires on a Nardi steering wheel or bucket seat with side mounts give me a shout. Will be going on eBay once I am back from Scotland next week

Have alerted mx5 perv

The best thing I've bought for mine is the brake booster that stops the master cylinder from flexing...
On my list of things to buy. This was silly cheap for the whole lot
Can't wait to hear that exhaust - should be fun 
That will be one word for it. I am probably going to test fit it before I cut bumper or anything. Not sure whether it will pass dB test at trackdays.
You didn't like the cherry bomb on the 205, have you considered what that exhaust is going to be like? 
This technically has more silencing than the 205

I may not have looked too closely at the pictures of the exhaust when I bought the bits.

I can always fit a turbo to quieten it down.

As it's Will's car and just on loan to me, I'm updating the progress of the 205 here.

IMG_20190501_134227119.thumb.jpg.1353d226ead201d829182d653a6985a6.jpg

In the last five years this car has only done a few thousand miles and in the last month or I've stretched it's legs a bit more. The car enjoys the regular use and has happily plodded all over the country. I've calculated the economy over two tanks so far and got 54mpg and 57mpg. This is despite me eschewing my usual smooth economical driving style in favour of treating the accelerator like an on/off switch, because cherry bomb hooligan noise immature fun.

The scruffy appearance was almost a little too attention grabbing for me early on but I've grown to love it. I see it now as Condition: French farmer. It's a RHD version of the car you see in rural France pottering to the bakery or across a cow field with a wizzened old boy behind the wheel, when you think 'that's the life'.

It has a few dings and dents, and lacquer peel, and each of the panels are a different and unrelated interpretation of the colour red, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

IMG_20190519_194723316.thumb.jpg.77533de0fd157b75999cb58947175b80.jpg

To drive, it is fine. You can have a bit of fun in it through the bends. The suspension gronks and bonks occasionally and is pretty soft, and the seats are made of Flumps, so you roll around a fair bit but there's some handling fluidity there.

It's a happy car, and it makes me happy to drive it. Quite a lot of that is down to the cherry bomb exhaust. Who knew a simple tube of metal was the elixir of youth. I revert to a seventeen year old hooligan whenever I drive it.

IMG_20190521_155129722_HDR.thumb.jpg.f15301876000e18dc46311c4c7424242.jpg

I've got my AX back now, so Penelope will be heading back up to Accrington soon. And that will make me sad. She's helped me out immensely and been a proper little companion.

IMG_20190513_121618870.thumb.jpg.b1998951bcf3604a2e65a0629113edf8.jpg

IMG_20190513_134523033_HDR.thumb.jpg.fc625ded45210b7a9ef71d2be8523772.jpg

IMG_20190530_090509393_HDR.thumb.jpg.246849a1103a1623e3f1425913b5a940.jpg

Some very nice calendar shots there... 

Problem is that I am supposed to be selling it and then you mention the Flumps thing and the economy ... let alone the exhaust (although still not sold on it) as someone once said hnnnnnng 

40 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

Some very nice calendar shots there... 

Problem is that I am supposed to be selling it and then you mention the Flumps thing and the economy ... let alone the exhaust (although still not sold on it) as someone once said hnnnnnng 

Mmmm....suits you, sir 😉

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BoggyMires
      Now in my mucky hands is this S Type Mondeo Lincoln. It's not like a Mondeo Lincoln  though, just uses some of the bits as it's from a time when jaguar was experiencing some 'technical' issues. 
      It has managed to hang onto the feel of a premium car but for the use of cost saving interior plastics made from the same gear that land Rover used in the discovery 2 of the same era, I know, I have one of those too! That has some BMW switches in it though.

This jaag was cheap. Why did I buy it? All I wanted really was a small convertible for the summer to smoke around in, this is the polar opposite. 
      The price was good but these cars are without their expensive issues. I liked the body. It's virtually rust free, a freak of nature and it had a set of premium tyres on it which suggested it's had some money chucked at it.

That's all I wanted really from it. The bolt on stuff and mechanicals are fairly easy to sort out, plus I can upgrade as I feel fit.

Today I've been bonding with this machine. It's got to beat the 3 series I have as a good daily or it's out. It's going to be a tall order, the 318 is bionic!

I have many miles to do in the next few months, I need a motorway cruiser auto. The odd jaunt for a few hundred miles is the 318's and my clutch legs limit!

Now, this car has been owned previously by a few members on here, the work it requires is because it is a cheap car and 20 years old and has a jaguar badge on it. There are a few issues with it.

As said, it has to be put into immediate service. I've owned it 2 days and it's already done over 300 miles, and will do all that again tomorrow! So let's get started!

After about 100 miles yesterday, I reversed it for the first time in my ownership and when braking the noise was alarming! Had a look and the outer rear brake pad was metal on the disc. I only had another 60 miles to go!
      A phone call on the move saw a set in stock back home to be picked up. Sweet.

That was yesterday, I've got a day now to change the rear pads and sort out the dropped headlamps with a couple of screws... A couple of hours it'll be Sorted... He says...

WIND BACK CALIPERS! Yes, they are. My special tool? Sorry? What? No tool?
      Well, I cobbled together a bar and a pair of molies but Christ, that was messing about! I wanted to secure the caliper to the mounting to hold it still but the sliders internal thread was cross threaded on both sliders, so I had to tap them out first. It worked but not without a fight. Then my neighbour came over to have a nose at the new aquisition... Him: Morning, how you getting on"?, Me: "Shit, you haven't got a brake caliper tool have you"? Him: "Yeah, I'll go get it". 

LIFESAVER!!!

Sticky slider syndrome ^

Fully padded up ^

I took a look around under there, it's nearly all shot. Most ball joints are exposed to the elements so all need replacing but not before a decent jet wash.

There's little play in the joints so all that goes on the list of parts and graft! Wheels on, I loosened and torqued all the wheel nuts around the car and done the Tyre pressures, we were running soft all round.

Next was the front lights. A screw mod can be done but I took the back off the units and they were, well toast. Nothing much holding the inner lenses still at all. There was only one thing for it...

I had readied myself for this. I got hold of a replacement lamp mounting kit with all parts made from nylon. This involved dissecting the lamp which was tough! The mounts that came out, or what was left of them were weaker than Jacobs crackers and just crumbled. To get the bumper off, the plastic under tray bolts were all seized so I had to grind them off. More knackered parts were seen. The auto box cooler has shed most of it's cooling fins, the radiator is sweating and the power steering is hemorrhaging fluid on full lock. There's also a coolant leak at the thermostat housing and there's a high pitch whine at 1000 RPM which turns out to be the alternator. More for the list.
      Still, back to the lights. I need to be able to see tonight so I took a level off the tourings lights and marked on to a wheely bin, these are pretty spot on. Then I can use the bin for the Jaags lights and I won't be far off 

Going back together nicely it was a good time to run some tcut over the faded lenses. They need a more intense compound and a machine but will do for now.

Looks smart yo!

Then it got dark...

I then drove 120 miles in it and drove it like it was stolen. It had it, all of it! Slight brake judder at 90 and I couldn't get the alignment done as I had no time (see above pics)

So now we have to price up priorities like the knackered joints on the rear and a full service, two Goodyears and investigate the power steering leak which, I'll hazard a guess at the rack seals are fubard. 

So in summary, I got a bargain barge that has it's fair share of issues, the interior quality is a bit shocking in places but when the hammer is down, none of this matters! It fits in, it can be a proper giffer cruiser with radio two on at 30mph but it'll turn into a bruiser with some oldskool hardcore at a tonne. It's come to a good home.
    • By strangeangel
      I thought I'd start a thread for this as I'll probably end up asking all sorts of questions, given that this is my first 'proper' Citroën.

So... the ground clearance lever won't go all the way to the highest setting (all others work), which is bad 'cos the book says I need it to do that in order to check the LHM level. It feels like something's seized, so I don't want to force it. Any ideas for a plan of attack would be much appreciated.

Next up are the wheels. I now have a set of 205 pepperpots that have just gone off for powder coating & I need to get some tyres for them. The handbook says the car should have 165/70R14s on, the wheels came with 185/65R14 on. Any thoughts about what size I should get please? Cheers.

• By Fumbler
      To mark the genesis of my fleet project thread I here present my new car: a 1997 Nissan Micra Shape-

It really looks that good. There is a reason for this: its previous owner was an old lady who loved the thing so much so she made every effort to keep it in good shape. It originally came from Fleet in the GU postcode which suggests to me it was bought by the present dealer at auction, hence arriving down here in Kent. Before seeing the car I checked its MOT history and its only fails were thanks to broken stoplights, which shows me that it was very well cared for. I suppose an example of this was that on the last MOT, an advisory was a corroded rear silencer. The silencer on the car when I saw it was new. Methinks the lady wanted to keep it as good as possible. It was kept in a garage and so all the bumpers and black trim are very black and the tyres are in very good condition. Spare never used! Also included a free Dettol first aid kit from 1997.
      This car has 15000 genuine miles on the clock. We clocked over 15000 during the test drive! The lady owner really only trundled around her village in it and the MOT shows that it only did some meagre miles between tests. This, of course, came at a price. We saw a cherry red Micra from 2002 at the same dealer. Paint was shoddy and when they washed it the boot had massive sections of bare metal and it wasn't very happy. This car, however, is in fabulous condition and there was no contest between the two cars- it really is that good, inside and out. Immaculate interior, driver's airbag, cassette player... all there and all functioning (apart from cassette thanks to new battery and failed display). This meant that I bought it for £1600, £100 over what was my uppermost limit, but I knew I wouldn't see another like this that was in as good shape for a fair while. It was priced very ambitiously, at £1990, so I'm content in the fact I managed to slash a few hundred off the price. There wasn't that much paperwork though. All the dealership received was the logbook with 3 service stamps from 1998, 1999 and 2000, the radio key pass, a National Trust sticker, and the original paperwork holder. I suspect the old lady died and had her car auctioned, and the massive file of paperwork is now someone's egg carton, along will everything else she owned.

As always, this car isn't exactly in showroom condition. While the inside is great and the floor is solid, and the underseal is in great shape, the not undersealed parts need a small looking at. Mainly the rear of the driver's side sill. It's really the only bubbling on the car. I suspect a well aimed stonechip managed to fester over the wintery salted roads, making it rust even more. It's around the size of a 5p piece, and will give me the opportunity to spray the insides of the sill with some chain oil to prevent any further corrosion. Behind the fuel tank there are a few rusty joints- places where the spraygun cannot get paint onto- which some Vactan and Dynax should put to rights. Alternator belt looks original because of the cracking and Nissan badges and will need doing soon as well as the front plate. As much as I like the 90's font and original dealer surround, the dishevelled R and general water ingress is a persistant MOT advisory. It could be the MOT station being strict (and most likely is considering there's a Saxo down the road with far worse blackening), however for the sake of peace of mind and all that, I'll get a new one made. The rear has already been replaced indicating this has happened before.
      All in all, I think this is a nice plucky motor. I'll have it by the end of the week; just got to sort out tax, insurance, and it's going to have an MOT. As part of the deal it's getting the MOT and an oil and filter change which will be something ticked off the list. It has some love scratches and chips here and there, but it drives well, is stiff and controllable, and should make out to be a nice summer project!