snagglepuss

Snagglepuss Motors - Rover lives

No starlet love ? 😢

Starlet is resting in Scotland. It needs a gearbox oil change in prep for knockhill in July.

May also do new front brake pads and find a set of spare wheels for it.

I think Bucketer will be piloting it then. Might even make him do the work!

Starlet is resting in Scotland. It needs a gearbox oil change in prep for knockhill in July.

May also do new front brake pads and find a set of spare wheels for it.

I think Bucketer will be piloting it then. Might even make him do the work!

If you need a location to do the work gimme a shout- I have a workspace out east:)

V40 failed mot on

Track rod end

Drop link

Rear pads

Handbrake not efficient enough

Cracked windscreen

Missing rear number plate holder

Emissions

Advisories on tyres and few other bits.

Whilst not the end of the world it is a fair few quid for a car that probably isn't worth it. So going to stick it on eBay 99p no reserve to get rid.

Missus moog is back in the civic after having a toys out of the pram moment about buying ANOTHER car. Not sure I can see her issues :-)

I did suggest that.

Boils down to she wants a small car and an auto and doesn't like change. So civic has calmed her down. Just need to find a way to fix the right rear ABS sensor for less than mega money

This is probably pie in the sky but currently I have

A blue swift with 1.3 engine plus PAS

A red swift with 1.0 engine and no PAS.

The blue one has loads of little niggles and some cripsy bits. The red one is in much better shape overall with half the mileage.

The 1.3 is a much better engine and the gearbox is much better suited to motorways.

How difficult would it be to do an engine (and gearbox) and PAS swap?

A weekend job?

Would ecus etc be a problem?

Or is a world of pain?

How did you get the interior door handle trim off? Mine has the same flippy floppy window problem and I would like to add a cheapo Ebay remote locking kit but the trim around the handle seems to be steadfastly in place.

As for an engine and PAS swap, you would probably want to swap the ECU and wiring etc over anyway. I can't imagine that a car produced for so many different markets at such a low price would have much different in the steel so I would imagine that most things, if not everything, would bolt straight in. If anyone has done it before it will be someone on geometroforum.com, ask there, those guys are very knowledgeable and Geo Metro's are virtually identical under the skin.

How many miles do you find you are getting from a full tank and how much does yours take from empty? The handbook says the tank is 40 litres so you should get about 400 miles to a tank but the fuel guage in mine makes me rather worried at 300 miles.

Yo Moog, I know nothing about the Swift in particular but the age of them is well into modular type assembly.

This means I would expect the engine, ECU and wiring loom to be 1 big subassembly that just plugs into the car wiring loom at 1 or more large multiplugs, probably in the engine bay.

Have an inspect and see if you can see where the looms connect, if both cars have the same connector and which side the ECU is connected to.

The only other potential complication would be if there is an immobiliser chip in the key, you might have to disassemble the keys and swap the chips round or possibly swap other immobiliser related components, if it has one.

I'm sure there is probably a forum somewhere where it's been done before, http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17906 any good?

Slight change of plan

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date

2 May 2016

Test Result

Fail

Odometer reading

80,062 miles

MOT test number3779 8981 7924

Reason(s) for failure

offside front Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

nearside front Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

nearside rear Suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

offside rear Suspension arm worn and seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

nearside front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded under body near sill (5.2.6)

offside rear inner Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded sill (2.4.A.3)

offside rear Rear position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)

Advisory notice item(s)

rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)

front coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

offside front Seat belt damaged but webbing not significantly weakened (5.2.2a)

front cross member corroded not in prescribe area

nearside rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Red one it is then!

Although that MOT is due sooner rather than later.

Will cartakeback take a car with no wheels?

How did you get the interior door handle trim off? Mine has the same flippy floppy window problem and I would like to add a cheapo Ebay remote locking kit but the trim around the handle seems to be steadfastly in place.

Door trim was removed using plastic trim tools. Well worth the cost then popped off easily.

I get about 45mpg from the red one and a bit more from blue.

The red one doesn't like the motorways as 70 is around 4krpm and most has been motorway runs. Bonus is the red one has obd2 so I can use the scan tool.

The only other potential complication would be if there is an immobiliser chip in the key, you might have to disassemble the keys and swap the chips round or possibly swap other immobiliser related components, if it has one.

They do have imobliser chips. The newer one has obd2 which the older one doesn't which may make it a challenge.

Will have a look at teamswift to see what they say

Door trim was removed using plastic trim tools. Well worth the cost then popped off easily.

I get about 45mpg from the red one and a bit more from blue.

The red one doesn't like the motorways as 70 is around 4krpm and most has been motorway runs. Bonus is the red one has obd2 so I can use the scan tool.

I do have trim removal tools and I can get the bottom of the door handle trim off but the top says no. Maybe I'll just yank it off and get another.

Crikey! I usually think these long fail sheets aren't as bad as they first seem with mostly trivial stuff but yours is really not very good is it. All I see is lots of 'suspension' and 'corrosion'. Maybe a good thing it won't be getting any track day action.

Does that mean full steam ahead for the engine swap?

If it breaks I will have two spare that you can have.

Awesome, thanks man. Something else; did you see how the door 'poppers' were mounted inside the door? When you turn the key it unlocks both doors regardless of which door you use which should make adding the remote kit easier but it'd be nice to know ahead of time how accessible the stuff is.

Will have a look at the central locking for you .

Decided to sort the squeak out of the rear driver's side on the civic. Ordered a new rear wheel bearing.

Took 20 mins from getting tools out to wheel back together. I heart my new impact wrench, makes light work of jobs like this.

10 minutes to get this far

c303b056d391477c3b292f70a74eb4ee.jpg

Old and new

0264b2df3f3df76ba317a9b2c7835a61.jpg

Back together

8a7bb11714d6199fc90aaca236a32008.jpg2802ceb8359e3058d56d6ace53bdb747.jpg

Downside is the abs light isn't fixed but rear squeak is gone!

Took the red swift out for shakedown before being pressed into service this week.

Lucky I did as the tyre popped on motorway. Sounds like a stone hitting the windshield, when I pulled off the motorway it was flatter than a witches booby.

Swapped it over for the spare, but couldn't see any obvious damage. No splits or damage anywhere. It is a brand new rainexpert. What would cause it to pop?

Also grumbling sound has developed from waterpump area at idle. Joys.

I am scrapping the blue swift on tuesday next week. 

I would like to keep the wheels to use as spares for trackday.

Car take back will only collect a car with wheels

The red swift has steels but pretty much brand new Uniroyals on them 

The blue has alloys with rubbish tyres 

Car take back is giving me £60 for the car. 

Quick ebay search shows that if I want a set to stick on the car it will cost me the best part of £60 to buy to put them on a car for scrap. 

Do I look for another set of wheels to stick on the car? Just let the Alloys go? Something else? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Fumbler
      To mark the genesis of my fleet project thread I here present my new car: a 1997 Nissan Micra Shape-

It really looks that good. There is a reason for this: its previous owner was an old lady who loved the thing so much so she made every effort to keep it in good shape. It originally came from Fleet in the GU postcode which suggests to me it was bought by the present dealer at auction, hence arriving down here in Kent. Before seeing the car I checked its MOT history and its only fails were thanks to broken stoplights, which shows me that it was very well cared for. I suppose an example of this was that on the last MOT, an advisory was a corroded rear silencer. The silencer on the car when I saw it was new. Methinks the lady wanted to keep it as good as possible. It was kept in a garage and so all the bumpers and black trim are very black and the tyres are in very good condition. Spare never used! Also included a free Dettol first aid kit from 1997.
      This car has 15000 genuine miles on the clock. We clocked over 15000 during the test drive! The lady owner really only trundled around her village in it and the MOT shows that it only did some meagre miles between tests. This, of course, came at a price. We saw a cherry red Micra from 2002 at the same dealer. Paint was shoddy and when they washed it the boot had massive sections of bare metal and it wasn't very happy. This car, however, is in fabulous condition and there was no contest between the two cars- it really is that good, inside and out. Immaculate interior, driver's airbag, cassette player... all there and all functioning (apart from cassette thanks to new battery and failed display). This meant that I bought it for £1600, £100 over what was my uppermost limit, but I knew I wouldn't see another like this that was in as good shape for a fair while. It was priced very ambitiously, at £1990, so I'm content in the fact I managed to slash a few hundred off the price. There wasn't that much paperwork though. All the dealership received was the logbook with 3 service stamps from 1998, 1999 and 2000, the radio key pass, a National Trust sticker, and the original paperwork holder. I suspect the old lady died and had her car auctioned, and the massive file of paperwork is now someone's egg carton, along will everything else she owned.

As always, this car isn't exactly in showroom condition. While the inside is great and the floor is solid, and the underseal is in great shape, the not undersealed parts need a small looking at. Mainly the rear of the driver's side sill. It's really the only bubbling on the car. I suspect a well aimed stonechip managed to fester over the wintery salted roads, making it rust even more. It's around the size of a 5p piece, and will give me the opportunity to spray the insides of the sill with some chain oil to prevent any further corrosion. Behind the fuel tank there are a few rusty joints- places where the spraygun cannot get paint onto- which some Vactan and Dynax should put to rights. Alternator belt looks original because of the cracking and Nissan badges and will need doing soon as well as the front plate. As much as I like the 90's font and original dealer surround, the dishevelled R and general water ingress is a persistant MOT advisory. It could be the MOT station being strict (and most likely is considering there's a Saxo down the road with far worse blackening), however for the sake of peace of mind and all that, I'll get a new one made. The rear has already been replaced indicating this has happened before.
      All in all, I think this is a nice plucky motor. I'll have it by the end of the week; just got to sort out tax, insurance, and it's going to have an MOT. As part of the deal it's getting the MOT and an oil and filter change which will be something ticked off the list. It has some love scratches and chips here and there, but it drives well, is stiff and controllable, and should make out to be a nice summer project!
    • By PhilA
      Well, here we go again. I bit the bullet and bought me this.

It's still up at the lot right now, there will be a miniature Collection Thread embedded in this thread when I go fetch it. Hopefully if the weather's good, that'll be this weekend.

So, what is it?

As the title suggests, it's a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain.
      It's got a flat-head straight eight hiding in the engine bay, 4.4 litres of it. It's bolted to a 4-speed Hydra-Matic Drive gearbox. No torque converter on this one, just a fluid coupling. 116 horses at a screaming 3700 RPM, 240lb/ft at 2000. It idles at 375 RPM. Redline just shy of 4k.
      Did I mention it's quite big? Sixteen foot eight from end to end and it seats six people in comfort. Every door has a quarter-light, too. Comfort is provided by properly sized tyres and (quite surprisingly for the age of it) double independent wishbone front suspension. Steering is via worm/wheel steering box so is moderately direct and the brakes are hydraulic drums all round. Modern and scientific!

It's an honest example; looks to have had a "restoration" about 15-20 years back and the rust is coming through the seams and filler. The bottoms of the door skins have gone, the bottom of the A-pillars have gone (the front doors, on a single hinge a piece still open and close with one finger!) And it's got a couple holes and blebs in all the places you would expect.
      Not much electrical works. It needs to be completely rewired because someone has "converted" it to 12V. Thankfully it was originally negative ground so that's a good start. Gauges and such can be driven from a 6V bucking converter.
      Engine has had some work done on it- starts and runs nicely with very little greb coming out of the exhaust. It's got a few gaskets that need replacing and the tappets need some major adjustment, the gearbox engages gears correctly, the steering is okay but has a lot of slack in the center and the brakes work well, dont sink or feel spongy but need adjustment.

More to come. I'll post up more pictures when I get it home.

--Phil
    • By Broadsword
      I think the Broadsword fleet has become sufficiently complicated to merit a combined thread so that gradually all new additions will appear in one place.

As of Sunday 17th March the situation is interesting.

Two Citoren Xantias (remember the white Xantia of Excellence is for sale people!)
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34699-w-reg-citroen-xantia-20-hdi-xantia-of-excellence-%C2%A3999/
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34596-citroen-xantia-double-madness-rust/page-2

A turquoise XJR6 pending overdue-collection (need that gone now!)
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34003-jaguar-xjr6-double-madness-double-sold

An XJS 3.6 manual project which will get in high gear soonish. Wont be a keeper but will be fun getting it back to something presentable. Drivers fantastic!
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34664-jaguar-xjs-36-manual

A Range Rover P38, which is turning out to be really rather good.

And to mix things up even more I'm off on a collection caper today. Had first refusal on it and was expecting it to come around in a year, but things soon changed and no way was I going to pass up on it. It may well render the second Xantia redundant as I've got a really good feeling about this motor.

In the meantime here are some snaps of the Range Rover. As usual it was a car I said I would probably never buy due to their reliability*. I have said the same of Jag XJR, XJS, XK8 and I have had all of those now. Basically the moment I declare buying a particular car is impractical or improbable, I end up buying one.

Things to note on the P38. It's a nice colour with tidy body. The EAS has been removed. It runs and drives lovely and it doesn't have enough electrical problems to hinder progress. The main one is the driver's side window not working, but that should be fixable. I've tried changing the outstation, that didn't fix it. Might be wiring under the seat. Other than that I bought it and took it for an MOT the very next day, and it passed. Since then it had what seemed like a battery drain, but since unplugging the RF thingy for the remote locking and putting on a proper lead-acid battery, which the car can actually charge, unlike the modern lead-calcium batteries, it has been perfect. I will treat it to a full service soon.

Stay tuned for the latest collection later today!

• By Shirley Knott
      Greetings all.

After lurking here for a short while, frankly liking what I see and enjoying the various shite, the site has well and truly struck a chord with me. I'm a serial buyer of ropey sub £1k vehicles, don't have to but genuinely enjoy it.

I feel like I might (Just might) have found my 'spiritual' home here

I've been posting across the web on owner specific forums (Usually using either my JoeyEunos or RandomPrecion handles) for a while now, but from here-on-in I will pull my threads together and merge them here into one ghastly topic.

My current steeds...

Lupo 1.7 SDI

SAM_5560 by

and the work/story so far...http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102863-joeyeunoss-sdi-beater/

Golf Mk4 SDI

SAM_5531 by

and the thread.... http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/597074-project-slow/

Early (1989) Mk1 Eunos (This one was recently sold)

SAM_4656 by

the thread...http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213274

Other shite I've owned and moved on in the last year include this ropey Passat...

SAM_6011 by

and this legendary £300 Fiesta Finesse...

Festa by

Cars I'd like to own/actively looking for in the forthcoming weeks/months/years...

Rover 75 (Dizzler)
      Peugeot 405 (XUD)
      Mk1 Octavia (Estate/dizzler, pre pd or SDI)
      Honda CRV (Gen1)
      Volvo 240/850