White good hillclimb tool - Her Name Was Rio

Elstro1988

If you were closer I'd honestly let you have a go at the Pride; 795kg in three door trim and that B3 63bhp Mazda 8v mill hurtles it along at a proper pace. Also no power steering helps aim it through the corners well too.

Sorry to hear the Rio has been a disappointment though :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you were closer I'd honestly let you have a go at the Pride; 795kg in three door trim and that B3 63bhp Mazda 8v mill hurtles it along at a proper pace. Also no power steering helps aim it through the corners well too.

Sorry to hear the Rio has been a disappointment though :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Pride would be decent I imagine if that's all it weighs! The Rio is heavy and it has to compete in a road legal condition so the back seat has to stay in! Is the engine in the Rio a Mazda B3 as well? Shame its mated to a nasty gearbox as it feels like it's got some go in it.

Shame the saloon wasn't sold here as they're actually neat-looking wee cars.

Yeah I was gutted the Rio really did have no hidden depths but I guess journos knew best! It's got one more event lined up before I get it out my hair - my final event of the year will be contested in the Nova; next season who knows ?

As to what chod I may have for 2017? I'm tempted by the the 03-08(?) Daihatsu Charades as they were said to be great fun to drive for a cheap city car and plus theyre light...watch this space.

I can vouch for charades being hilarious to drive but they understeer comically and light up the inside front tyre rather easily coming out of corners. Probably wouldn't be too hard to sort out with a bit of work though, and the 3 pot engine is pokey enough and makes a great noose

I can vouch for charades being hilarious to drive but they understeer comically and light up the inside front tyre rather easily coming out of corners. Probably wouldn't be too hard to sort out with a bit of work though, and the 3 pot engine is pokey enough and makes a great noose

Pretty much all contemporary road tests i can find mention what a great sound the little 3-pot makes. I am definitely tempted....plus I think theyre really cute to look at as well. And theyre light which is important in hillclimbing.

Keep it Kia, 1800 Shuma 2? Plenty for no money.

1800 would put me in the mix with Renaultsport Clios and tuned MX5s - and I am not a good enough driver to pull off any upsets - otherwise I would. I was actually originally planning to use a Shuma.

Pretty much all contemporary road tests i can find mention what a great sound the little 3-pot makes. I am definitely tempted....plus I think theyre really cute to look at as well. And theyre light which is important in hillclimbing.

Keep it Kia, 1800 Shuma 2? Plenty for no money.

1800 would put me in the mix with Renaultsport Clios and tuned MX5s - and I am not a good enough driver to pull off any upsets - otherwise I would. I was actually originally planning to use a Shuma.

Would have loved some Shuma action. Shame the Rio was crap. Gearbox in my Shuma is fine, go on you could get a 1549 one?

• 2 months later...

I have been away for a while from here, so thought I'd better update this thread!

The Rio is gone. And good bloody riddance to the nasty thing. I took it for its final outing at Blyton Park on July 9, and to be fair to it, it performed reasonably, scoring me a personal best there, but still wasn't potent enough to keep with fellow classmate Andrew Rollason in his rapid Ford Ka (yes, it was a 1.3 Kent engined one but he's an experienced pilot and it also had bigger wheels, a roll cage and tuned suspension).27926444310_cb71851df0_b.jpg

27926412540_a075a75c03_b.jpg

However, nothing by now after the humiliation at Shelsley was going to convince me to keep this horrible silver bag of nails, so on the 30th of July, it went (for £75!!!!! insult to injury) to We Buy Any Car for convenience - that was how badly I wanted it gone!

Next season, I think, may be done in the Nova. While it's no sports car (still faster up Shelsley than the Rio despite being 300cc and 40bhp DOWN) it's just so much more fun to own, simpler to fix, still fits the Autoshite mentality and also has the misty-eyed 'car of my childhood' thing to its name. Plus there's actually go-faster bits out there for Novas without going the basic, overdone redtop route.