White good hillclimb tool - Her Name Was Rio

Elstro1988

I think White Goods was more about their attitude to selling them rather than the care and attention to building them.

All the adverts for Korean cars, much like Japanese ones back in the beginning, focus on reliability and cost - much like the advert for a Hotpoint washing machine. Meanwhile Ford want you to go on a road trip and wake up in bed next to three lesbians, and BMW will tell you buying a 320i will get you a new job in the city and you'll wake up on bed next to three lesbians.

All cars are appliances now.

Somebody used to run a standard 1200 Lada Riva at Doune. It always seemed as if the following car, Graeme Wight Jr. in his Imp, would catch him.

Wow GWjr came a long way - outright SHelsley Record holder a few years back and still very quick in his GWR Predator V10 today. 

I'm chuffed at the responses here. I know it may seem ludicrous but, hey, Autoshite's about celebrating the unloved, right? The Rio is one of the most unloved cars out there save for Eastern Bloc stuff. 

First event will hopefully be Loton Park, April 16. I'm well aware I'll be laughed out the paddock but I don't care. The thing about getting a 'sensible' choice such as  90s BMW, Impreza, MX5, 106 or 205 is that there'll always be someone better than you at driving. I'm doing this for fun so I may as well make a statement with an unusual/inappropiate car choice. 

There was a guy in 2014 who hillclimbed a 1958 Dodge Coronet on cross-ply tyres, whilst the championship secretary of the Service Hydraulics championship which is the one I;m entered in uses a Mitsubishi I-MIEV. So there is room for the outrageous in hillclimbing. It's grass roots motorsport after all.

Update on the beast...

Bought an induction kit but alas, the filter was too big to fit in the space in the engine bay, so still standard Kia/Mazda power for the minute. Also, a bit irritated that I can't get the wheel trims off (they're not allowed for hillclimbing) but I'll address that when I get the Pirelli Cinturatios (list 1A-compliant) fitted.

So the only updates have been cosmetic - gone for a Chevette HSR look with concentric red stripes along the sides (and eventually around the window line) and some decals. Compulsory championship stickers, Pirelli logos and some retro Shell Oils ones too. And we all know every sticker adds 5 horsepower ;)

gY3J9u.jpg

I'm now pretty used to how this car drives (like a fridge. Competent but utterly bland. Pure Autoshite.) and it feels fairly swift, but it really needs a Cherry Bomb exhaust and an induction kit stat to make it sound more like a sprint and hillclimb competitor. Doesn't have half the character of my wee 1.0 Nova. It has been entered for Loton Park, April 16 (so if any local shiters want to come and watch/laugh at the ridiculousness of a Kia Rio DC in competition...) so just awaiting confirmation from that.

Maybe silly question but are these trims held on with the wheel nuts? My shuma ones are.

Yeah they are. I'll ask the tyre fitters to get them off (hopefully without breaking) and sell them. I want to spray the steel wheels silver. It's also due to get some Calibre alloys with Toyo R888 road legal track tyres as well as it needs all the help it can get!

I'll have a rummage as I should have a spare Autoshite sticker or 3 somewhere.

Be warned though use of these may cancel the benefit of the go faster stripes.

Awesome! I'd like one for the Nova too!

Speaking of the wee Nova, here it is captured by Andy Leivers at Snetterton in May 2015:

WPEFCm.jpg

Idle Ramblings..... Are there particular makes/configurations of 'road/un mod' cars which [during a long high speed tight turn] will go NO OIL & BANG??

I'm aware modded cars have sump mods (not dry sump solution) like flaps and extra capacity......

BOL with this M8 :-P

TS

Idle Ramblings..... Are there particular makes/configurations of 'road/un mod' cars which [during a long high speed tight turn] will go NO OIL & BANG??

I'm aware modded cars have sump mods (not dry sump solution) like flaps and extra capacity......

TS

much like your posts..

Baffling;)

TS

I've got very limited experience of hillclimbing but the corners tend to be over with pretty quickly. Reckon the Rio will survive

I'd have gotten a Pride. Except I already have one. 1324cc, 63bhp and they are a proper hoot to drive.

That said I think I've just replaced mine with the manky old 205GRD... I need to punt the Pride into a lockup and wait for KDMYO! scenetax to kick in.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd unearth this thread with some progress (I'm working on an article/blog for PetrolBlog detailing the experiences I've been having).

Firstly, the dealer took 2 months fannying around with the V5C, assuring me tax was being paid whilst I waited for it to show up so I could finally start paying tax (it wasn't which meant he lied to me, and it had to come off the road immediately) so I had to cancel the Loton Park debut in April.

Anyway, to cut long, boring story short, it finally made its debut in May at the Borough 19MC sprint at Snetterton:

27138578602_4c04b7b302_z.jpg

On hand I had some advice from Pistonheads regarding how to get the best out of an Astra GTE 16v on track (well, it;s an FWD hatch, sort of the same?) and a whole lot of thick skin. Was not expecting anything resembling handling obviously. A Rio hates the track. The gearchange is not suited to any sort of sporty driving, being too short and giving you no room to use the meagre 82bhp on hand. It was only just quicker than my 1.0 Nova which has 40bhp less around Snetterton. But I came away itching to do it again.

26965558420_5462bdce10_b.jpg

27171684891_ca20f498dc_c.jpg

26633997344_3cf75c29f4_c.jpg

Fast forward to the Saturday just gone (July 2) and I'm parking it, undeservedly so, in one of the famous little wooden huts in Shelsley Walsh's paddock. Alongside an array of much more suitable machinery including many BMW 3-series, MX5s, an RX7, Pug 106s and 205s, your usual hillclimb fare. Oh, and ERA R4D, the most iconic car associated with the venue:

It's one of the most beautiful motorsport venues in the country and anyone who's not been, I suggest go.

27977323881_18030c37b1_c.jpg

27977344481_64d9fa7815_z.jpg

It doesn't belong here.

27774033120_bcb17119b4_c.jpg

What sensible hillclimbers use:

28056995935_af9170e3ff_z.jpg

What was once an 80s Mazda B-series engine. Attached to the worst 5-speed manual gearbox in history.

28059826955_37e07639f1_c.jpg

If I needed any reminding that this whole scheme was stupid from the off, this day was it. The Rio was nothing short of an embarrassment up Shelsley. For those who don't know, this 1000yd hill is STEEP which means POWAH. I thought it would do OK. Turns out its 40bhp advantage over my wee Nova meant fuck all when it was 350-400kg HEAVIER. Had to change-up-then-down-then-up whilst making the climb, and the best it could manage at the speed trap was a paltry 39mph. Even the finishing straight couldn;'t claw back time as it could only hit 50mph by the finish. The gearbox is quite possibly the worst thing about it - notchy, ratios all over the place...does not deliver power adequately. Ugh. Even the Autoshite charm has worn off and the car is just shit. Even in these circles. 

It was slower overall than my Nova. Which basically rendered the whole point of buying it in the first place obsolete. Even justifying why I was competing in such a rubbish car was starting to sound less convincing everytime someone spoke to me about it in the paddock.

Kia. WTF were you thinking? Couldn't you have engineered in SOME driving pleasure into your cheap Millennium-turn offerings? The engine was from 1980s Mazdas ffs. 

I'm awaiting some professional photos from Shelsley and next weekend (9 July) I will be caning this Korean chod aroun the technical Blyton Park circuit for its final event before the scrapman takes it (unless anyone here would like to take it on?!).

Watch this space.

Oh and I'm already looking in the AutoTrader for next seasons' £500 hillclimb chod, and finishing my season in September back to Shelsley..in the Nova.

I don't know what the regs are nowadays for these events but my thoughts would be to reducing weight by removing all unnecessary stuff like bonnet lining, rear seats, spare wheel etc. For not just uphill stuff make sure the brakes are good.

I come from an era when the only difference between a road car and a rally car was twin carburetors. I used to compete in a V4 Corsair which was just as unlikely as your Kia.

Brilliant,hilarious and demented, all rolled into one. At least you've given it a go, even if it had proven the Rio is gobshite. Seeing the photo of your Nova reminds me of when my brother took his redtopped Nova around Castle Combe track, with me as passenger. He had to retire early after the plumes of blue smoke out the back eventually made him shit a brick. Turns out the engine rebuild hadn't incorporated a baffled sump, so long right-hand corners were throwing a load of oil out the back end. It was ridiculously quick for what it was, but handled about as well as your Riom , if your photos are anything to go by!

That Imp was out-of-this-world, though: Hartwell 410 cam, head modified beyond commercially available full-race spec, Jack Knight 5-speed dog-engagement gearbox (reverse was activated by a Bowden cable on a seperate lever to keep it road-legal, but was a bugger to use otherwise so it got pushed back instead), inspection hatch in the rear seats to allow clutch changes in 15 minutes, non-structural bolts drilled down the centre to keep weight down to around 550-600kg, that sort of thing.  I never saw it run with the proper engine - it blew up the week before I saw it go up Doune and so it had a scrapyard engine in when I saw it and still was there or thereabouts in the 1-litre class (it held the record for the 1.3 class, but only had 1040cc to use!), but I believe it sold (to Japan) for about 6 bags.

In 1993/4. Just let that sink in for a wee bit...