Van shite - what would you buy?

Kiltox

While we are on the subject someone please educate me as to why the newer shape 2.0 HDi Scudo/Dispatch/Experts are not as good?  More or less the same DW10 engines underneath, right? Is it cos they are 16v?  Have DMFs & DPFs? 6 speed gearboxes? Which/all of these is the problem?  One day the old shape ones will run out. The new ones are actually much longer and wider, more like a transit whereas the old ones are Transit Connect LWB sized.  And the LWB ones longer still. A 2.0 HDi old shape Berlingo up to 2006 would also be good but only a little bigger than a Kangoo.   

CAR_ID_2049_1.JPG

While we are on the subject someone please educate me as to why the newer shape 2.0 HDi Scudo/Dispatch/Experts are not as good? More or less the same DW10 engines underneath, right? Is it cos they are 16v? Have DMFs & DPFs? 6 speed gearboxes? Which/all of these is the problem? One day the old shape ones will run out. The new ones are actually much longer and wider, more like a transit whereas the old ones are Transit Connect LWB sized. And the LWB ones longer still. A 2.0 HDi old shape Berlingo up to 2006 would also be good but only a little bigger than a Kangoo.

CAR_ID_2049_1.JPG

Do like these so very interested in any horror stories with them.

Not quite in my budget but I might be able to stretch

I asked about the new shape Dispatch a while back here : http://autoshite.com/topic/19933-citroen-dispatch-new-shape-any-good/

I've been looking for a low millage Mk1 Hdi for bloody months, when they do appear on Leboncoin they sell instantly and sometimes for more money than

1.6 Mk2

Meanwhile my 1.9 is plodding sedately on to 380000kms

I have a 2002 Mk1 Doblo the car version with a 1.2 8v petrol engine and its been ok so far has some faults i knew about but was cheap. rear boot space is good and not too bad on fuel the onboard computer reckons low 40s taking me to work and back.

Got a 2000 Peugeot Boxer 2.5D van and thats on about 90,000miles but its on its second gearbox and the syncro is failing on 3rd as it crunches into it. Seems to be a common problem on them. i expect it will eventually loose 3rd gear Not sure if its a problem on all the engines but wasn't on the 2.0 petrol motorhome my gf parents have but that only has less than 50,000 miles 

I quite like doblos, need to look up how much they can tow

According to my MK1 doblo manual for the Cargo normal roof and Cargo High Roof its 1100kgs braked trailer and 500kgs without brakes. The Normal roof extra capacity and High roof extra capacity are 1000kgs braked trailer and 500Kgs without brakes.

I'm sure Señor Testicles used a 1.9d Doblò for A-framing for a while.

I once hired a new-shape Expert 1.6 HDI for a day, and it was shit.  Utterly gutless (not that much quicker than the old 1.9D tbh), and consequently surprisingly thirsty.  Interior felt and smelled cheap, and visibility wasn't good.  You can buy the 2-litre versions in daft states of tune which would help with the first two problems but not the last two.

We have a 61 plate Expert on the fleet at work, apart from an occasional unexplained EML issue it has been 100% reliable - to my surprise.

It is horrid to drive IMO with vague steering, narrow power band and snatchy brakes.

The 53 plate Expert it replaced was so slow I thought it was in limp mode.

When my 1.6HDi Berlingo blew it's 4th turbo in 4 years so many people told me to find a good '98 to '06 2.0 HDi Scudo, Dispatch or Expert with the 8v engine that I gave in and bought this:  

attachicon.gifIMG_20150308_115044 - Copy.jpg

Might sell as I need a white van and I've spotted a mint one with air con for strong money, but I'm prepared to pay (although I'm also considering an LPG). But it would be just about possible to find an OK looking one without air con for £1k.

@Alan_Green could you PM details on the Van please? FathaRuff's Dispatch is starting to show it's age and I've been tasked as lookout for it's replacement!

I'm sitting right now in my 224,916 mile Vito,capital on the radio and tootsies toasty. Never had any issues and its still mechanically fit, and it gets a HARD life. Our LDV has just lunched its engine after new glow plugs were fitted, one of the ends dropped into no4 and smashed the head.250k on that and was still good. Ecp are arguing not their problem. Wonder how this will go. We looked after the same parts suppliers vans,experts and bippers... Gearboxes,clutches,dmf's...now the bippers are lunching engines at 70-80k. Shite.

I asked about the new shape Dispatch a while back here : http://autoshite.com/topic/19933-citroen-dispatch-new-shape-any-good/

I've been looking for a low millage Mk1 Hdi for bloody months, when they do appear on Leboncoin they sell instantly and sometimes for more money than

1.6 Mk2

Meanwhile my 1.9 is plodding sedately on to 380000kms

Had already discounted anything with that 1.6HDi excuse for an engine. Interesting stuff though.

@Alan_Green could you PM details on the Van please? FathaRuff's Dispatch is starting to show it's age and I've been tasked as lookout for it's replacement!

Yup. Will do. It'll have 13 months MOT and a fresh service as of this Thursday. Timing belt etc done last year when I first got it. 

LDV Pilot, surely? I saw a Vauxhall Arena the other day, they are almost as shite.

Are there any non rusted out late Mk3 Transits still about, like a W reg or something, perhaps a Tourneo with the seats removed?. Most people I know swore by them until they rusted away from underneath them.

Fiat Doblo is a good call, although I'm not sure if one would be much bigger than a Kangoo.