Van shite - what would you buy?

Kiltox

Thinking about replacing my 2001 Kangoo with something a bit bigger. It'd be my daily driver and I work in IT when I'm not being a pikey trader so it needs to look half respectable.

Only looking to spend a grand or so and want something that doesn't rust for a laugh so a cheap Transit is pretty much out

Open to anything really.....

In all seriousness, what about a Fiat Scudo/Citroen Relay/Peugeot Expert? I used to drive a Scudo regularly at work and found it very acceptable. Wouldn't have thought it was difficult to find a nice van within budget.

Saw a really tidy Expert the other day, might well be worth a look. What are they like drivetrain wise for reliability?

When my 1.6HDi Berlingo blew it's 4th turbo in 4 years so many people told me to find a good '98 to '06 2.0 HDi Scudo, Dispatch or Expert with the 8v engine that I gave in and bought this:  

post-18080-0-37870800-1456271092_thumb.jpg

I've done 25K in it in a year and it's fast, comfortable, 11p per mile mixed city & motorway driving. Zero issues now and none on the horizon. No DMF or DPF. Took a while to find a good one with air con. Might sell as I need a white van and I've spotted a mint one with air con for strong money, but I'm prepared to pay (although I'm also considering an LPG). But it would be just about possible to find an OK looking one without air con for £1k.

But do you really need a van?  Why not an 806 etc with the seats removed? The only reason to have a van is to avoid insurance hassles if it's signwritten.  Otherwise vans have nothing but disadvantages. More expensive to buy...attract tool thieves...live harder lives....less luxuries like air con...get turned away at some dumps...breakdown cover issues...  This 806 is on my Gumtree watch list. 1 yr MOT. 2.0 HDi. (BTW 1.9 XUD is too slow for this size vehicle) £525:  https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeot-806-2.0-hdi-start-and-drive-limited-edition-5dr-7-seat/1153448642 $_86.JPG

Another vote for a Scudo / Dispatch / Expert HDI.  I have a Scudo 1.9D and it would be a brilliant van if it weren't so f***ing slow - HDI should solve this issue and be just as reliable in 90bhp form - and probably better on fuel as well, as the 1.9D is constantly flat out. 

Either that or, if you want to go a bit bigger, find a SWB Ducato / Relay / Boxer with the 2.8 JTD engine - they don't come up very often, but they're a reliable old bus and go like the clappers.