Engines and configuration.

Crusty Sills

Being a bit sad I was looking at the fleet and it dawned on me that I 5 cars all with different style engines or drive train configuration.

XC90 5 cylinder 4X4

Seat Ibiza 3 cylinder transverse

VW Beetle Flat 4 RWD

Audi Cabriolet 4 cylinder longitudinal FWD

Toyota Celica 4 cylinder transverse.

Do you have a fleet of different types?

Roadwork Towers Fleet:

Audi: I-4, Longitudinal, FWD, Manual

Rover: V6, Transverse, FWD, Manual

Peugeot I-4, Transverse, FWD. Manual

Distressingly I realise I have never owned a RWD car.

It's okay, I've never owned a car with a 'V' configuration engine - just straight 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s. FWD, RWD and 4WD.

My van has the most bog standard layout - transverse straight 4, diesel, FWD and manual.

I did have a thing years ago trying to get as many different configurations I could get and have had fwd rwd 4x4 and 6x6. Petrol diesel and lpg. I have had flat twins and in line twin water and air cooled. I think I haven't had a 3 cyl yet but 4 cyls in flat straight and v4 air and water cooled. I had a couple of 5 cyls then 6 cylinder both straight and v with and without turbo's. Then straight 8 and v8. Not to mention a rotary. Not been brave enough for a V12 and I have kind of given up now.

Mercury - front engine, V8, auto, RWD.

Granada - front engine, V6, auto, RWD.

Transit - front engine, straight 4, 4sp manual, RWD.

Capri - front engine, straight 4, 4sp manual, RWD.

All carb fed and all Fords too! I know what I like and I like what I know!

I've only ever had 3 FWD cars, mk2 fiesta, mk2 Orion, Volvo 850. I just don't like FWD at all. I've not had many cars with fuel injection either thinking about it!

Lacquer Peel, you've just made me realise that I've also never had a V6.

I've had countless straight fours, a flat four (Alfa Romeo Sprint), various straight sixes (BMW, Jag, Mercedes Benz), flat six (Porsche Boxster) and a couple of V8s (Lexus LS400 and Merc 500SL) but never a V6.

Transverse FWD inline 3 and 4 and a flat 4 all wheel drive at the moment. Sadly I have never owned a straight 6, flat 6 or anything with more than 6 cylinders.

I have had 1,(bike) 2, 3, 4, 5 cylinders in line, V4, V6, four different sorts of flat 4 and a 2 rotor Wankel. One a diesel, 6 were air cooled, two with turbos, 7 rear engined but only 5 front engine/rear drive.

Next?, a V5 appeals ('cause there probably won't ever be another one and they are cheap right now), a transverse straight 6 or a two stroke 3...........

I did have a thing years ago trying to get as many different configurations I could get and have had fwd rwd 4x4 and 6x6. Petrol diesel and lpg. I have had flat twins and in line twin water and air cooled. I think I haven't had a 3 cyl yet but 4 cyls in flat straight and v4 air and water cooled. I had a couple of 5 cyls then 6 cylinder both straight and v with and without turbo's. Then straight 8 and v8. Not to mention a rotary. Not been brave enough for a V12 and I have kind of given up now.

What was the straight 8 ?

Everything I have is 4 strokes, no wankels, all rear wheel drive, all 4 speed unless they're not.

Petrols.

AJS 500 1 cyl.

A35 van 950 4 cyl

A35 car 1100

Morris 10 1100

Wolseley 1500

MGB 1800 o/d 3rd, 4th. LPG.

Sunbeam 90 2200 o/d on 4th.

Rover 75 2200 6cyl freewheel. LPG

Diesel.

Landrover S1 2.5 8+o/d

Morris LD, 2.5 5speed

Morris C type "

Austin K9 2.8 "

Seddon Mk7 " "

Clearly I have too many vehicles, they all work though.

Just realised some cars have more power than this lot combined.

Also never had an injected or catalysed petrol. Don't own anything with power steering or servo brakes.

Flat H6 3.0 petrol engine full time 4WD through auto box running on LPG

V6 3.4 petrol engine full time 4WD through auto box...this bugger might yet get LPG

Straight 6 3.2 petrol engine RWD through auto box running on LPG

I like autos i like LPG i like 6 cyls min.

I dislike FWD and modern crap generally especially modern Diesels which have none of the virtues that made Diesels great for ordinary working bods

Challenger, V8 logitudinal RWD auto.

Silverado, V8 longitudinal RWD auto. Column shift.

GTA, Inline-4, transverse FWD manual.

The column-shift comment is pertinent because I'll either a- grab the wiper stalk and put the wipers on in the Renault or b- in the Dodge grasp ineffectually behind the right of the steering wheel before remembering the gearshift is on the center console in the normal place.

That's the current stable, have mostly owned transverse four-pots with FWD.

--Phil