FREE Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS

garycox

1996 Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS

99,000 miles

No MOT (Needs inner sill welding)

Bit leaky, some knackered paint, drives well.

Collect from Lewes, East Sussex ASAP

It's free.

I don't have a use for this and it's pretty grim so I'll probably end up scrapping it but I am quite fond of it so thought I'd offer it here first in case anyone wants it.

It's an early one, that my uncle bought new in February '96. I remember being taken out in it quite regularly when I was about 10. He moved to Wales in about 2001 though and I'd not seen it since then.

He called and asked if I wanted it as he'd inherited his sister's VW Fox and hadn't used the Vectra since it was MOTd a year ago. This was due to run out in a couple of weeks. 

I went to Wales to collect it and it has suffered a bit. The sunroof leaked so has been sealed with ugly silver gaffer tape. The rear quarter window next to the boot has also leaked and was sealed with some clear stuff but that's all come unstuck now. As a result the boot carpet is disgusting and the spare wheel's rusty. The actual boot floor seems OK though.

The paint on the bonnet and one of the mirrors is knackered, the rest seems better but I've not really looked at it that closely.

post-3248-0-46493500-1455414474_thumb.jpg

post-3248-0-25360000-1455414131_thumb.jpg

On the way back it drove well, it's always been serviced when needed and the engine and gearbox seem good. The car feels much more solid and nicer to drive than my 2.0 Mondeo.

I got the the M4, about a third of the way home and the ABS and airbag warning lights came on, then all the dials dropped to zero. It was dark and pissing with rain but I was losing power so had to stop on the hard shoulder and ring the AA. About 10 mins into the estimated 45 min wait the hazard lights stopped working so I was just staring at it from the verge in freezing fain hoping nobody drove into it as it was pretty much invisible. FUN. 

post-3248-0-71734900-1455414565_thumb.jpg

Luckily a Police car stopped after a while and parked their car behind it with all the lights on. The AA arrived after about an hour and towed me on a solid bar behind the van, along the hard shoulder to the next services, which annoyingly was only a few miles away. That was a fairly terrifying journey as I had no lights, wipers or power steering and could barely make out his tail lights let alone whether I was straying onto the carriageway. Luckily nobody died but a faulty alternator plus some sort of wiring fault meant that it wasn't fixable so I had to spend the next few hours on various AA trucks and in service stations.

post-3248-0-34809600-1455414595_thumb.jpg

Once I got it home I had some of the faults fixed in exchange for that Volvo 480. These were a replacement alternator and fixing the wiring issue that meant the charge light wasn't lighting, and a bit of welding in the offside rear wheel arch.

It failed the MOT on another bit of welding needed on an inner sill. I sent it to be done by my welding friend but it's worse then expected and is quite a big section that runs by the axle, and that would need to be dropped for access. I was quoted £150 but I can't really justify spending that when I need to fix all my other cars. 

Also advised on the MOT were ARB mounts, and I was told that they'll probably need welding for next year's test.

The radio is in some sort of SUPER LOCKDOWN mode and doesn't even bother asking for the code (which I have). Also the display screen on the dash seems to have stopped working, although it was working when I collected the car (Fuse?).

When I took the battery out to charge it, the clamp bolt sheared off. I never got round to fixing this so it has been temporarily* 'secured' with cable ties.

One wheel trim is missing (actually it's in my parents' garage as it had a crack in it so was replaced with a new one about 15 years ago. The replacement has now also been lost).

It comes with a massive carrier bag full of paperwork, which I haven't investigated but assume it has a pretty comprehensive service history etc.

It has been welded before and will probably need more in future, but the panels and visible parts seem fairly rust free. 

I would like to see this saved, but I'm aware that it's probably not worth it. Having said that, with one bit of welding I expect it'd go a year without needing much, it does drive alright.

I can only give it a week or so before scrapping it as the Clio has now taken its space and I've nowhere to put it, so be quick if you want it.

These are the only other pictures I have:

post-3248-0-85683500-1455414500_thumb.jpg

post-3248-0-81294800-1455414629_thumb.jpg

Not many N reg Vectras about now! Sodden boot carpet is standard Vectra issue, short of putting a can of expanding foam in the boot and then shooting it with an air rifle, it will probably always leak from somewhere!

Hopefully this will be saved. 1.8 will be the old big block motor too, basically the same as the 2.0, good old iron lungs these!

It'll be a shame if it gets weighed off, but you've done your best to save it and you can't win them all. As above, it's a bloody early one on an 'N' reg. Has it got an adjustable steering column? I think the earliest ones didn't.

How grim. I feel bad for it. I also feel I owe it a debt as it was pretty much directly responsible for me not taking on that Volvo, which would have landed me in much strife and misery. Shame to see it fragged but I can't imagine someone wanting to take it on. I'd also say banger racing is a likely candidate, at least it will go out in a blaze of glory.

• 1 month later...

I thought my friend had scrapped this already but it's still on his drive...

I considered paying for the MOT work and keeping it, but I can't really can't justify having this and the Mondeo, and I'd rather keep that.

Needs to go though, we can get £35 from a breaker but it's still FREE if you want it.

(I shouldn't get so attached to shit vehicles)