Sportys latest shite. Five pot pasta-blaster. Now with new shiter.

sporty-shite

Last Wednesday I thought I'd better go and actually look at tbe car I'd bought and paid for, just to see how bad it was. Loaded a few tools and way I went.

43ce7427051e4de4dc42515991bc6ddb.jpg

Arrive to find this fine* specimen. 8e22854a67d1cada2c518a205c55f8e1.jpg

With a few fine specimens growing g inside.

bba9084fbb8c80ced56fe005935a0014.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Glad you got back OK, JTD looks quality!

Thanks for the loan of the frame, Dave. I came back with it this afternoon because Megan wanted to go through the tunnel, but you'd left when er got there. Should have let you know we were coming!!

Anyways, it's here. Let me know if/when you need it, and I can sort getting it back to you.

Nice one sporty, once it's tidied and legal I reckon this could be a good motor for you .... maybe even something you'll keep longer than a few weeks.

It probably will "fit the bill" better than the Leon, but it won't be roadworthy quickly. It needs quite a few jobs doing, and a thorough check over before I decide whether it's worth testing. If it gets roadworthy, I might be tempted to see how easy it is to get it going a bit faster!!

Looking at the car before collectionizing? Very bad form!

Ben

Ah. Probably didn't word it well. Bid blind on the bay. Couldn't arrange to collect for too long, so met the seller at work, paid for it, got the keys, then drove down the road to the car park where it had been sitting for six months, and had a brief shufty. In the dark.  By the time I took the tools to it, I'd owned it about a week!

It should probably be one for the dumped cars thread!

Reckless and irresponsible, I know. WCPGW?

That interior shot makes me realise that I haven't yet truly experienced Car Mould. Even the SARS-infected spare wheel on Mason the Lexus and the chemical*-spillage on the boot-upholstery in the Volvo pale in comparison.

I've heard of steering-aids before but that takes the cookie.

As bad as this sounds, the last time I smelt a car interior like this one, it was in a scrapyard! A few wet wipes got rid of the worst of it, but i suspect it's going to be a seats out clean to get it anything like fresh.

Always fancied a 2.4jtd 156, in black, with red leather, estate format!

Then i remind myself that it's an Alfa Romeo with bits shared with Fiat, it WILL break in 2.4 seconds and it WILL end badly in whichever way! It wouldn't matter though because it would be one of the nicest paperweights to own and secure* a parking space outside my house :D

No it won't. Buy one.

• 2 months later...

When I bought this, it was running badly, and smoked like a lab Beagle when given any boot. Felt sluggish and hesitant, too. Had a quick look under the bonnet, and found a massive split in one of the induction hoses. Ebay, and a new one fairly cheap, had it running OK. A quick run around the block cleared all the soot, leaving nice big clouds every time it came in boost, until it eventually cleared. So, on a high, I took it home, washed and clayed it, and doused the wheels with brick acid, before jet washing it all off. Took the crispy roof bars off to make it look a bit neater. Also noticed the towbar wasn't wired up, and that there was some grot near to it on the boot floor, so I've removed the towbar, as it was easier than wiring it up, and might net me a couple of quid on Gumtree.

No pictures of work done, but it's cleaner now...

20160416_122312.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks and this lump of premium* Italian sporting load carrier is booked in for MOT. Tomorrow, in fact. I know it needs a CV boot, and there's that grot on the boot floor. I'm hoping it'll pass and advise on that, as it's more than 30cm from suspension. Otherwise, I've not had a really good look around it otherwise.

Wish me luck....... 

Results are in. Minor fails. One rear drop link, CV boot, rear pads, washers and a little hole on one sill. All jobs except washers and welding done today. Will do washers in the morning, as I broke the pump trying to get the pipes off to blow through. Having the welding done at the garage next to the resting station.

Decent result, I reckon.

These have a "Y" connector in the washer pipe and the check valve inside is restrictive and blocks up. I chucked mine and they worked fine afterward.

Thanks for this tip. It was this valve, although I only found out after I'd broken the pump! It'snow done and has been dropped off for welding and retest.