Kia Rio mark One Max Power!!!

outlaw118

A friend of a friend has got a Kia Rio for sale, one owner on a 53 I think, about 20k on the clock.Now, I know its a bit new, but I reckon this qualifies as shite.I'm toying with the idea of buying it (£1750 ono) and horror of horrors, "sprucing it up".It'll be a bit different, I'm thinking lowering it a bit, nice set of rims (superlites?) but I need it to be quicker. Any ideas?Or am I a madman?

Madman. Buy it and hide it in a barn for 20 years. These Rio's appear to have been sold mainly to plebbiest plebs of society* on £99 deposit rest-of-your-life finance, so even with decent build and long warranties I reckon they will be extinct in next to no time* No offence to your friend like!

Ummmmm. I'm sure there'll be some ironic laughs in 'doing it up' but there will also be many more people who think you're serious. Can you be bothered explaining why you did it every time you park somewhere?also, can you even get performance parts for these? Are they just an old Japanese engine of some description or an actual Kia design?Having said that, if you stick it on twin carbs, do some oldskool blueprinting and give it a 70's arse-up stance you'll be a Kia Hero.

Not sure whether I would do it up style wise - is the car ready to run as is as a daily driver? I would personally use it, abuse it and dispose of it when it expires and use the money and time saved on something that deserves it, like a mk1 pride with whitewalls.

I've had a quick google and there seems to be a limited supply of performance parts for them; exhausts, air filters etc, but I thought it was an old Jap engine, maybe I'm wrong.I just feel like doing something a bit different, but don't think I can manage on the puny powah it's got as standard.Maybe I am a mentle....

also, can you even get performance parts for these? Are they just an old Japanese engine of some description or an actual Kia design?

Based on the Mazda B3 engine as far as I'm aware, which was a very good reliable unit in my Mums old Mazda 121.I've toyed with the idea of a Kia Rio estate for cheap transportation and load capacity.They say the post '03 models are vastly improved - they have a few subtle changes - the front lights are the biggest clue.I'd say going for the 1.5L variant with AC etc could be a decent buy for cheap as chips motoring.

It'll be a bit different, I'm thinking lowering it a bit, nice set of rims (superlites?) but I need it to be quicker. Any ideas?Or am I a madman?

You'll probably be able to use a Mazda unit for an upgrade in performance? Perhaps something from the 323? There used to be a GTX engine in Japan/Australia for the Festiva/Aspire/121 which went like shit off a shovel supposedly :wink: