2001 Astra 1,7 sizzler.......won't start. Is it dead?

Charlie Croker

Well.....the other day I was driving along and the bastard just cut out....no warning nothing. I tried to start it and nothing at all. You turn the key and all the warning lights come on but turn the key to start it and nothing......no clicking or anything. The warning lights don't go dim either. I've changed the ignition barrel and the starter motor to no avail. Any ideas anyone? Thanks loads. Charlie.

Possibly the cam belt, but I'd have thought it would spin over with no effort to catch if it was. Obvs. if the belt when you were driving it may have just locked the engine up, but I'm not convinced as I reckon you'd have had some lights coming on.

I had an astra come in like that - it turned out to be a dead EDU as usual but the non cranking was odd. Turned out that the two yellow 70a engine control fuses had popped, and when I took the back off the EDU there was a huge blob of solder loose inside it which had shorted the thing out. I guess someone reworked it in the past.

I had an astra come in like that - it turned out to be a dead EDU as usual but the non cranking was odd. Turned out that the two yellow 70a engine control fuses had popped, and when I took the back off the EDU there was a huge blob of solder loose inside it which had shorted the thing out. I guess someone reworked it in the past.

Would'nt surprise me if somebody had been there before

I need to check the maxi fuses.....I had the edu soldered by the AA a few years ago. My pal who has looked at it saves that the small power wire to the starter has power but he's not sure if its getting to the starter. He tried to tow start it but it tried to run but wouldn't stay running.

Would a fuse or earth fault make it cut out while it was driving though?