Opel Calibra 2.5 V6 Cliff Motorsport Edition

agw9262

Finally got around to starting a thread after introducing myself.. I bought myself a Calibra some 20 years after owning one as a whipper-snapper. Well actually I bought two since a donor car came with the sale.

Here's the good car, will add a picture of "skrotis" (scrapper?!? in English) later but this is "Cliff".

9837ff9cc1a2524fea8bedaea6900d62.jpg

Cliff is in pretty good nick but needs a new timing belt, the cam covers are doing the usual on this engine and filling the spark plug wells with oil and well it could do with some overall TLC.

Thought I'd try to capture the work on this thread for anyone who might be interested. This afternoon was basically some dismantling and prep.

Odometer to begin:

4c397a21b06aaa03f220b16e3aed7896.jpg

Engine cover removed:

e53e15eeca3f248052d992a7eedc6aae.jpg

Intake and throttle body removed:

11c8ba93e1fe751959f81f904e9c8a2b.jpg

Leads removed, oil sucked out of plug wells, plugs removed and finally covers off and sealant cleaned up:

6a27e1788d82e788398a8a3cca3e83c5.jpg

After all the distraction it felt like time to do something that was heading in the right direction so I cleaned and painted the intake and the new alloy Vectra B covers. Primer today:

7415e6af2a5b2ffa21027b517ef019ca.jpg

Well, that's it for today, will be back when more progress is made but unlike some of you Jedi on here, progress will be a bit slower.... But bare with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidy looking Cally, glad you got around to putting up a thread about it! Are the BBS alloys standard for the Swedish market? We only got them on the SE9s IIRC.

NB you can't re-fit the engine cover with the Vectra B alloy cam covers, the oil filler hole is in a different place. But that's not the end of the world.

Oooooh! That's shiny.

A bloke I used to be friends with had an SE9 model with those wheels and the V6, but red with black leather trim.

Is that a standard bumper? The grille looks different.

Thanks! As for the bumper, it is completely standard, but only on the Cliff and Last edition Calibras IIRC. Cliff edition is a bit like the DTM/Irmscher but was only sold in Germany I believe - this is an import from there. So you have lowered suspension (20mm), 16" BBS alloys, different bumpers and strips, Bose sound system and different side repeaters that look more flat.

Tidy looking Cally, glad you got around to putting up a thread about it! Are the BBS alloys standard for the Swedish market? We only got them on the SE9s IIRC.

NB you can't re-fit the engine cover with the Vectra B alloy cam covers, the oil filler hole is in a different place. But that's not the end of the world.

Yep thanks for the original prompt, hadn't forgotten but a bit slow off the mark...

This model wasn't actually sold here and I'm not sure how many Calibras were. It's imported about 2001 from Germany and it's an equivalent to DTM or Irmscher models. Everything you see is standard to this model plus it has some other hidden goodies but it's mostly styling and while it's quite subtle I think it makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip about the engine cover - had thought about remanufacturing it but then thought better of it - it's only plastic after all... So instead I will spray everything magnetic blue so it at least looks tidier.

So the thinking goes :-)

That engine is hard enough to work on in an Omega and the thought of delving into that engine bay..I'd rather rummage barehanded into a bag of loose razor blades :shock:  :-D .  I had a nice 2.0 Cally and do miss it occasionally, your's is lovely colour 

That engine is hard enough to work on in an Omega and the thought of delving into that engine bay..I'd rather rummage barehanded into a bag of loose razor blades :shock::-D . I had a nice 2.0 Cally and do miss it occasionally, your's is lovely colour

Cheers! And yep it's "challenging" let's say to get in to work on it, can't wait* for the timing belt, there looks so much room to work on it... <eyes roll>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bangerfan101

I had a v6 calibra. Most worrying car I've ever driven fast.shite myself going over snake pass The thing just would not go round corners. Then again the bottom arm bushes banged like a shit house door when the plagues in town

I'd seriously look at the front suspension before detailing the engine bay

Snake pass isn't a place to check the handling - miracle you're still here albeit I imagine a pair of pants shorter since the incident... Lucky for me the previous owner must have had an experience similar to you - brand new bushes all round, new Kone adjustable shocks, new springs and a couple of wheel hubs to boot. So I'm pretty fortunate that it holds pretty well, especially for a Cav in disguise!

I've got a Saab 900 with that engine and it had the same oil leak when I bought it. The Vectra B cam covers do fit but they're a bugger to find. After a couple of weeks of searching to no avail I gave up and refitted the original with new gaskets and plenty of good sealant, 2 years down the line they're still holding strong.

• 1 month later...

And today, finally got to spend some more time on her. Some more minor adjustments, still waiting to have the funds to switch timing belt and so on but get good to actually drive her and do some minor tweaks anyhow!

New number plate lighting courtesy of shiny LEDs:

73c08ce7b81b142a72fd84840635edba.jpg

53be266811bfe820ca193b01c835a059.jpg

And finally painted and fitted the Vectra B handles, delocked!

d63bad463441ccb03218fcc6a9cef891.jpg

e41c18e2427c460cf7f372411ae1cb56.jpg

• 1 month later...

So finally, the job I have been putting off - changing the timing belt.

c0bf8e91058f93002b514598028178e3.jpg

Well, as predicted, there was tons of space - don't know what I was worrying about

7273859541b715c4fa8a01a14d6a9cb3.jpg

7c0617c7832b5370ba49f053636cc5b9.jpg

8ea5ef171a79a5209eb5188d3d5cce2f.jpg

Let the fun begin he thought - but it was one challenge after another - water pump pulley bolts undone but pulley doesn't move. Finally get pulley to move and then realise it won't come off since the engine is too damn close to the inner wing. Much jacking up later, got an axle stand under the front engine support, removed the bolts holding the support to the body then lowered the body back down to bring the water pump pulley up high enough. Then comes the PAS pump whose pulley was pressed on - let's take it off he thought but not a chance, too close to the inner wing to get the pulley off... Hmm dejavu?

Managed to let the pump bolts off to allow the pump to move forward and got the timing cover off...

2fdeaf92d1730cd93e6dcab0bd9d935c.jpg

Got the locking kit on and removed the belt

fc1b2a354c5cac780dd837a14c47bcd3.jpg

f94fc3cfab2365e1aa5ed5a51fddde66.jpg

Then took off the pulleys, looks like bits of old belt stuck to the lower tensioner suggesting it's maybe never been changed

9ae5c596a14df524252ebb5106c6dddf.jpg

Wrestled the new tensioner and guides on and then the belt. Setup the timing, 2 rotations - slightly off on bank 1 & 2 - retimed and then did 8 more rotations checking the timing at every other one - spot on

d032885dd359cd4dcb36304f5bf4e96c.jpg

Rebuilt the engine and then clenched the buttocks in anticipation of first start - need not have worried though, fired up immediately and purring again - success!

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I had a rare and unexpected evening to myself so off the the Cliff cave I went.

2574d6351c74f57767b294eccd485cd6.jpg

Time for some fresh 10w40 oil, oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter - easier breathing all around:

751f691c8eb7d304ec6428a486a2849a.jpg

0fbfe69718a197777d822c86ad94abef.jpg

I'm sure this wasn't blocking flow at all....especially if the outside is anything to go by:

a228e552732d8ab4a39dd40ecc8b18c2.jpg

New silicone coolant hoses all around will be next and some nice coolant instead of the slightly weird looking water currently circulating...

stuboy, on 16 Apr 2016 - 7:33 PM, said:

id still love to have a calibra.

catsinthewelder, on 16 Apr 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

It's the only Vauxhall I've ever wanted, I've had one and with 3 kids I can't have another :(

So chuffed I've still got mine :-)

Values are creeping up though, so anyone that wants a cheap one will have to be quick.

• 3 weeks later...

The coolant was the last service item left - almost clear there was some antifreeze in it but negligible. A drop, flush and refill was the order of the day but that wasn't enough in itself! So more mods today including a nice cleaned (by me) coolant header tank swap, new Roose coolant and induction hoses throughout and the K&N cold air induction kit that I won on EBay (second hand, couple of months old and a real bargain!).

The hoses were the biggest pain with the engine bay and clearances being just huge* and the most fun* part was changing the connections to the heater matrix which are up in the depths of hell on the firewall behind the block...

Done now! Waiting for new wheels to arrive and then I'll fit them and swap out the mud flaps for some genuine ones.

86cd43ba455fba1bbedac269c2391bef.jpg

61466529d52d52bdc2d00e787fe07a95.jpg

165f7189eddb16db5a696bbeee736086.jpg

• 8 months later...

It's been a while...but

Did battle with Cliff today. When I bought him I didn't notice but the rad was leaking due to a prior front end. Poor sucky repair job on the cheap no doubt...

After scouring breakers and a failed shipment from the UK (damaged in the post) I finally managed to get a replacement rocking horse poop v6 Calibra Rad with secondaries for the pump.

This weekend it was time to swap it, bumper and steel bracket off:

06e96b081b83127b85e0582f9ee6196f.jpg

b850f02d6515c0a61e597424f8105c8b.jpg

15a0e775cfe2cf5be625aca30ca8f8a8.jpg

To get at the front connections that hook up the secondary pump. Much skin loss later, a wrestle or ten and a lot of choice words and the new (old) one is fitted and Cliff no longer dribbles at temperature:

0c34c252a7b448351aa3067fce0e5d47.jpg

Even managed to correctly refit the cables on the back of the bracket so they don't rub against the fan, where the last careful "mechanic" left them

I reckon the intention for swapping the rad is that you'll take either the engine out or remove the slam panel... bit of a squeeze.

Now officially cream crackered and going for rest to recover and try to delete all memories of this "fun" day.