Sporty DisAstra 2002 1.8 SRi

purplebargeken

If I can wear him down to say, 150 or 200 quid then it might be a goer.

That was all the garage said needed doing for the test but he got fed up with it and bought a newer Astra.

How odd to bother testing it but not bother having the one part fitted that would pass it, giving it 12 months MOT and therefore very saleable.

That age would be the mk4 as above. I believe, like the 1.6, the egr should be possible to have blanked off without triggering an EML on these. Could also be the lambda or the catalytic converter.

Cats can be had very cheapily now. I'd get the egr blanked, give a a good rag to get the cat hot and throw it straight in for an MOT.

I have a good mate who is a mechanic, he will either do it for me or guide me through it, take over and just do it anyway. 

That is really odd. I just don't recall seeing many Mk4 Astras, just Mk5's. 

Looked on ebay, tidy looking things but dear God, aren't they dull inside. 

The Sport and SRi ones are nice inside. White dials, rev counter and seat extensions for the fronts. I'd fit the EGR, chuck some 'stop smoke' or something in it, then give one hell of an Italian tune-up pre-MOT to clear it out a bit.

With a full test it's probably worth a punt at £595 and see what happens, can't see it going much less than £350 when sorted, and I'd advise an offer of £150-£175 (tops) as he's unlucky to get £200 for it as it stands.

I bought one locally, 1.6 8 valve though as a project. It had a running fault and would oil up one of the plugs, fine if you replaced it and good enough to get an MOT which is what the previous owner did.

I bought it hoping it might just be valve guide oil seals but a compression test revealed low compression on one cylinder so one engine rebuild later and lots of aggro fixing an oil leak it now takes my other half to work everyday. 

I have been told these engine suffer from bore wear and just oil themselves up although in my case the low compression was due to it munching something and putting a score in the bore. 

Yes they have got EGR valves. Mine had a new one fitted a while before I bought it. I think it was hoped it would fix it. 

It's not just the valve itself that's the problem is the holes in the head and manifold that get clogged up. On Mk4's I think you need to fit a blanking plate with a hole in it. It's such a problem Vauxhall can do an EGR valve delete on the ECU so it won't keep going wrong. 

I'm considering getting mine done after spending hours cleaning the engine up before putting it back together. 

Having said that it's a lot better car then our old Mk3 Astra.

Yes they have got EGR valves. Mine had a new one fitted a while before I bought it. I think it was hoped it would fix it. 

It's not just the valve itself that's the problem is the holes in the head and manifold that get clogged up. On Mk4's I think you need to fit a blanking plate with a hole in it. It's such a problem Vauxhall can do an EGR valve delete on the ECU so it won't keep going wrong. 

I'm considering getting mine done after spending hours cleaning the engine up before putting it back together. 

Having said that it's a lot better car then our old Mk3 Astra.

On our 1.6 16v Mk4, I put a completly covering blanking plate on and then only screwed the EGR on one hole and had it turned slightly. So the pintle in the EGR valve just flails in the air in the engine bay. Works fine.

One thing I found was that if the EGR stuck, even if in the air, the ECU got confused with the fuel mappings and stalled/rough running. This is what I think the remap that Vauxhall can do fixes.