collections and deliverys

dcd1979

I received a trousers and pants down spanking at the roadside for that years ago, towing a big empty trailer with a wee van.

What offence were you charged with? Or was it just a verbal warning? If they need to weigh you they may have portable scales for smaller vehicles or they will have you follow them to a weighbridge.

I stand to be corrected, but I suspect this 'potential overloading' thing is nonsense. If they turned up at court and their evidence was that they 'think' you 'could' be overloaded I strongly suspect you wouldn't have much to worry about.

As long as you haven't exceeded any of the plated axle weights or the train weight of the tow vehicle then I can't see how you can't be legal.

My understanding is that in terms of driver licensing you have to be entitled to drive the car and trailer at the max plated weight of both. So if you have a licence that limits to 3.5t and drive a 2.0t gross car towing a trailer plated to 1.7t but only weighing 1.0t as you drive it you are not licenced to drive that rig.

But my car has a Max Train weight of 3.5t and my licence is 7.5t. The max towing weight is 1.5t, I think I can tow the 1.7t rated trailer as long as it weighs less than 1.5t.

I did a fair bit of research left year when buying caravan. It shocking how many people think that 85% of kerb weight is the legal max towing weight. Many cars can tow much more than 100% but some can't even manage the 85% 'rule'. My ex company ashtray had a kerb weight of approx 1450kg, but only rated 1000kg towing capacity.

If you really want to lose hours of your life then start reading forum threads on nose weights!

Those flatbed Ifors, good as they are, really aren't long enough to get the weight where you want it.

Mine's the CT177. It's the biggest car trailer Ifor make. I've seen one carrying a LWB Sprinter,.. it's a 5m x 1.9m bed - so the bed alone is the size of a Jag XJ.

As stated this is just a means to get my beavertail, only using as and when, I have been towing for a good few years and done thousands of miles, yes the straps were not brilliant but they did there jobs slow and steady regular stops to check and all is fine and yes I so have the correct insurance

I think the issue is the wrong way the Vectra is loaded, the way the straps are used and the towing capacity of the van.

Stopping to check is great, anyone with a conscience will do so, ditto having the correct insurance, but the pictures show a 'how not to' story.