Registering an import without a NOVA certificate

strangeangel

At the back of my garage is a bike which has been imported from the US at some point. It couldn't have come from within the EU because they were never sold here. Back when I bought the machine in question it would just been a case of getting a dating certificate etc, but now, as I understand it, I am screwed without a NOVA certificate. The only paperwork I have for it is a receipt from the previous owner.

So... is there some way I can get this thing registered and on the road? Or does its only future lie in whatever it's worth to someone in parts?

According to the thrilling VAT Information sheet 06/13: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehicle-arrivals/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehicle-arrivals

When is a notification not required?

A NOVA notification is not required for:

• permanent imports from outside the EU made by private individuals or non-VAT registered businesses (Go to Note (ii) for further information)

So it seems you may be OK for NOVA. However I don't know what evidence of import duty being paid might or might not be needed.

Try ringing the Doovla, possibly make out you have just bought it in the UK without docs and see what they say.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...