I hate selling cars

shite_meister

Yes I'm paying £1000 a month rent for a pissy little one-bed flat thats an extension to the landlord's house and with inter-connecting doors downstairs and in the bedroom :shock: and by law as i'm scum i'm not allowed to even have a cooker as that makes it a flat see and as i'm scum (from England) I am therefore unable to have a proper cooker coz that makes it a flat see and I'm not allowed to live in a proper flat coz I'm scum...from England.Yes yes yes I made my bed etc if I don't like it piss off etc, fact is I love Jersey but they are about 189 years behind the times.Jersey does seem to be an Island of complete and utter tightwads, Greedy Landlords and people asking silly money for any old shitter of a car.

mate, I suggest you leave Jersey. I live in Edinburgh ( no cheap town) and we rent a 4 bed, 3 reception room stone built victorian house 1 mile from the west end of town for £950. I've just negociated a 5 year lease with the landlords fixing the rent as I have no intention of buying anywhere for the foreseable.Totally understand what you are saying about selling cars. I think the big problem is that there are 2 types of folk - punters and players. We, on autoshite, RR etc are players - we all know pretty much what our cars are worth and we also know that when you are buyoing a 30 year old car the chances are it will have a few issues. Punters are the folk you have been dealing with - horrid types who immediately think just because you are selling a car youa are dodgey so there is some sort of "game" that needs to be played in negociating. One of the reasons why I prefer to sell direct to mates etc - ok - not as much money but all parties understand the issuesBTW - would love VW camper but suspect it will be beyond my pocket - do you have a link/pics of it

Prev 320 paid for the trip-so this earlier 320 is a 'keeper'.

Great, I did think you mentioned in another thread that you were getting another and that the money you had 'made' would be put to good use.

Well, the Alfa's gone, so keeping almost half a tank of fuel in it obviously worked. Even better, I'm going to pick the bloke up in it tomorrow, so I'll have to use it for the commute, so it'll have a little less fuel in it!Will be sad to see the thing go, and I'll certainly miss the noise. Nice and straight-forward sale in the end.

Yes I'm paying £1000 a month rent for a pissy little one-bed flat thats an extension to the landlord's house and with inter-connecting doors downstairs and in the bedroom :shock: and by law as i'm scum i'm not allowed to even have a cooker as that makes it a flat see and as i'm scum (from England) I am therefore unable to have a proper cooker coz that makes it a flat see and I'm not allowed to live in a proper flat coz I'm scum...from England.Yes yes yes I made my bed etc if I don't like it piss off etc, fact is I love Jersey but they are about 189 years behind the times.Jersey does seem to be an Island of complete and utter tightwads, Greedy Landlords and people asking silly money for any old shitter of a car.

mate, I suggest you leave Jersey. I live in Edinburgh ( no cheap town) and we rent a 4 bed, 3 reception room stone built victorian house 1 mile from the west end of town for £950. I've just negociated a 5 year lease with the landlords fixing the rent as I have no intention of buying anywhere for the foreseable.Totally understand what you are saying about selling cars. I think the big problem is that there are 2 types of folk - punters and players. We, on autoshite, RR etc are players - we all know pretty much what our cars are worth and we also know that when you are buyoing a 30 year old car the chances are it will have a few issues. Punters are the folk you have been dealing with - horrid types who immediately think just because you are selling a car youa are dodgey so there is some sort of "game" that needs to be played in negociating. One of the reasons why I prefer to sell direct to mates etc - ok - not as much money but all parties understand the issuesBTW - would love VW camper but suspect it will be beyond my pocket - do you have a link/pics of it
I think you should leave too, or come to the mainland and buy a very big camper. If you are shelling out a grand a month, even one costing six grand would pay for itself in half a year, and you can still sell it (there or back on the mainland). If you have trouble living in it and parking (I could see that coming) just move about a bit, there must be visitors and holiday makers in campers!

Fuck me I wrote that four months ago! despite the housing thing I like life here and despite the downsides there are also upside to not being ruled by Brussels and owning a fleet of shitters here is fairly straight forward since we don't have road tax nor MOTs...yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Put my Porsche up for sale a few weeks ago on a local forum, as I do with most cars I get (most interest is a complete waste of time and I recognise it as such and ignore it appropriately). Had one lad expressing interest at the start of the week. Appeared yesterday, took him for a spin and he collected this morning! Was sorry to see it go, I sold just as I began to become attached, felt a bit painful, was an =awesome= car. :(

Posted Image

:idea:

Well my Datsun has gone :cry: Completely painless sale though to a friend of a friend. He's a mechanic and is planning a full resto, which is good as if some pikey had turned up to get a RWD NOT AE86 RETRO DRIFT car I wouldn't of sold it to him. It's in good hands, but I can't help but feeling a bit empty looking out of the window to see nothing there.................

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like I'm still having the same amount of luck as usual when it comes to dealing with fucktard punters.The P6. Phone call on Thursday from a bloke who lives about 20 miles away "Would you be interested in taking a Merc 300CE in P/X for it?, loads of MOT, 5 months tax, couple of light scabs on one front wing. G reg, everything works, drives beautifully".As I'm not having any luck with the muppets who've so far enquired about the P6 I figured it was worth a look. (Loads and loads of interest, but nobody has bothered their arses to come and see the thing).He wants to come and see the Rover mid-day Friday. I wander down to where it's parked, give it a good wash (it's a leafy area..) and wait for him to turn up. Which he doesn't. I go back home and he rings again at about 4 pm "Can I come and have a look after tea?" to which I reply that if he leaves his house after tea, it'll take up to an hour to get to me, by which time it'll be dark. There's no way I'll take a trade-in in the dark, so he'll be better off coming on Saturday, during the day. Bloke tells me he'll turn up midday.Saturday morning, 11:30am phone call from blokey "Would it be ok if I get there about 6.30 tonight?". "No mate, Make it about 3pm".Well, eventually he turns up around 3.30. Bloke about 45 with a pony tail. Wants the Rover desperately but the Merc is a DOG. Howls at the moon. Proper mutt. Front bumper is fucked (he did mention it had 'a crack' not that it's in two pieces), interior is tired, paintwork is awful, wings aren't scabby - they're fucked, tyres are bald - although there was a borderline tyre in the boot (no rim) and one rear tyre had the telltale yellow 'part worn / scrappy' chalk on the size, no history, signs of badly repaired body damage, for some reason there's a Sierra side repeater glued to the front indicator, exhaust is blowing its tits off and there's no sign of water in the header tank - lots of brown gunge but there was no way I was going to open the tank to check.Rover is in at £995, so I ask the bloke how much he wants for his Merc - "Well, it's in at £1195, which I think is cheap. I've got a new wiper blade for it".Jesus fucking wept. Needless to say I've still got the Rover, although he did try a cheeky "I've only got £600, will you take that?" bid. I told him to sell the Merc and come back with the cash instead as even with a £600 cash sweetener I wouldn't want a dog rough 170k mile 300CE, and that's what his is.He got in his Merc and left in a cloud of tyre and oil smoke.

Well, it looks like I'm still having the same amount of luck as usual when it comes to dealing with fucktard punters.

The P6. Phone call on Thursday from a bloke who lives about 20 miles away "Would you be interested in taking a Merc 300CE in P/X for it?, loads of MOT, 5 months tax, couple of light scabs on one front wing. G reg, everything works, drives beautifully".

As I'm not having any luck with the muppets who've so far enquired about the P6 I figured it was worth a look. (Loads and loads of interest, but nobody has bothered their arses to come and see the thing).

He wants to come and see the Rover mid-day Friday. I wander down to where it's parked, give it a good wash (it's a leafy area..) and wait for him to turn up. Which he doesn't. I go back home and he rings again at about 4 pm "Can I come and have a look after tea?" to which I reply that if he leaves his house after tea, it'll take up to an hour to get to me, by which time it'll be dark. There's no way I'll take a trade-in in the dark, so he'll be better off coming on Saturday, during the day. Bloke tells me he'll turn up midday.

Saturday morning, 11:30am phone call from blokey "Would it be ok if I get there about 6.30 tonight?". "No mate, Make it about 3pm".

Well, eventually he turns up around 3.30. Bloke about 45 with a pony tail. Wants the Rover desperately but the Merc is a DOG. Howls at the moon. Proper mutt. Front bumper is fucked (he did mention it had 'a crack' not that it's in two pieces), interior is tired, paintwork is awful, wings aren't scabby - they're fucked, tyres are bald, no history, signs of badly repaired body damage, for some reason there's a Sierra side repeater glued to the front indicator, exhaust is blowing its tits off and there's no sign of water in the header tank - lots of brown gunge but there was no way I was going to open the tank to check.

Rover is in at £995, so I ask the bloke how much he wants for his Merc - "Well, it's in at £1195, which I think is cheap. I've got a new wiper blade for it".

Jesus fucking wept. Needless to say I've still got the Rover, although he did try a cheeky "I've only got £600, will you take that?" bid. I told him to sell the Merc and come back with the cash instead as even with a £600 cash sweetener I wouldn't want it.

He got in his Merc and left in a cloud of tyre and oil smoke.

Best quote I ever heard:

'Underneath every pony tail in an arsehole'.

Ps: I'm sort of hoping you don't sell the Bentley in your link as if I win the lottery it's the first thing I'm buying.

Ha-hahahahahahahah!

I've just found his advert for the 300CE...

"Silver, black leather, CD player, electric windows/mirror/tilt&slide sunroof, abs, PAS, excellent condition no issues, reliable and economical part ex WHY £1950 ono."

Posted Image

Yes mate. Sure...

*Except whitevanman :cry: Ces don't seem to fetch much really, especially of the same vinatge as the one in the pictures. Came very close to buying a very nice one quite recently and it might still be on.For some strange reason certain Mercs seem to fetch sod all money despite being nice cars and it seems they have to be quite old or quite rare to get good coin.

Actually it does amuse me that this thread has twice insulted me and my lifestyle and had also indicated that one of my best mates should be shot due to his job...................now do I laugh or cry.................. :?:actually it this and the Grumpy thread...can't tell the difference :lol:

Aren't CEs quite sought after? I imagine a shit one is still worth a grand.

Good ones are sought after. Dog rough ones are pretty much worthless.

You know when you take a car for a spin and you know it's a dog within 100 metres. I didn't need to take that CE that far.

A good W124 should feel tight, solid and incredibly well built. It shouldn't rattle, it shouldn't squeak, it shouldn't vibrate, it should be a restful place to waft about.

It shouldn't feel like an ex-Beirut minicab that's already been used as a car-bomb.

I'd say at the very least that CE needs a full set of springs, shocks and bushes. Then there's the complete paintjob, the new wings, new front bumper, bonnet release, seat backrests didn't lock in place (electrogubbins on the CE If memory serves me right) and a world of tidying to do. Then it might be worth a grand. Possibly.

As it is, it's £150ish (because it's taxed). Before I drove it I was thinking maybe £600 at best.

It's one of those cars you'd see in a breakers and think it was a shame, but if you drove it, you'd probably frag it yourself.

Aren't CEs quite sought after? I imagine a shit one is still worth a grand.

Good ones are sought after. Dog rough ones are pretty much worthless.

You know when you take a car for a spin and you know it's a dog within 100 metres. I didn't need to take that CE that far.

A good W124 should feel tight, solid and incredibly well built. It shouldn't rattle, it shouldn't squeak, it shouldn't vibrate, it should be a restful place to waft about.

It shouldn't feel like an ex-Beirut minicab that's already been used as a car-bomb.

I'd say at the very least that CE needs a full set of springs, shocks and bushes. Then there's the complete paintjob, the new wings, new front bumper, bonnet release, seat backrests didn't lock in place (electrogubbins on the CE If memory serves me right) and a world of tidying to do. Then it might be worth a grand. Possibly.

As it is, it's £150ish (because it's taxed). Before I drove it I was thinking maybe £600 at best.

It's one of those cars you'd see in a breakers and think it was a shame, but if you drove it, you'd probably frag it yourself.

Yikes. It does sound like a pile of shite.

Well I am not going bald.

ahahaha, i have a mate whose 22 and hes balding already.Isnt the problem with older mercs that are worth nothing the owners thinking they are worth at least a grand due to the badge? Thats what happens to prestige marques in the middle ground between affordable and downright expensive, they get caught in limbo between banger and classic.For example, BMWs of the same age are worth tuppence now.

Isnt the problem with older mercs that are worth nothing the owners thinking they are worth at least a grand due to the badge? Thats what happens to prestige marques in the middle ground between affordable and downright expensive, they get caught in limbo between banger and classic.For example, BMWs of the same age are worth tuppence now.

The issue with this particular Merc is that to make it as nice as one of those lovely £4995 300CEs, you'd have to spend about £5995 on it.As for the prestige hinterland, my Audi is currently in that very situation. It's a very nice car, but it's a 10 year old Audi that's not wonderful on fuel - so there aren't a huge number of people searching for one. It can go two ways. I can keep it and keep it as sweet as it is now, or it can go to someone like MercBoy and it'll be abused to within an inch of its life and run on an absolute shoestring. Stupid things with that Merc. An indicator unit is about £10 from GSF , but he'd superglued a Sierra wing repeater onto it to obviously cover a hole, shabby scrapyard part worns on a 140 mph car are just the tip of the iceberg. What else has been bodged? Put it this way, I'm pretty sure the P6 would drive to Czech and back without a major calamity, I'm almost certain the Audi would, even the P5 would be in with a shot at making it. I wouldn't trust that 300CE to make it to the chip shop and back.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and stuck the Avenger on eBay.

Posted Image

Had a Norn Irn guy bid on this, arrange to pick it up yesterday morning and then not show up... Still, I have got some more of Auntie Trudi's magic 1970's paint and am going to sort biggest paint problems with it, that'll push the reserve up for the re-list.