'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

Did you use Autoglym bumper care? The green stuff? If so it will last well, i use it on all the plastics on the Reliant and the Kia.

Yep. Certainly looks like a quality product from first use

Linseed oil!

Would probably work! I do use some on my wooden window frames every 6 months or so...

You might try some mildly abrasive product like T-Cut but not T-Cut cos it's shite on the less yellow headlight thingy. 

I have some meguiars 'Plastx' which may do the job.

The heater controls and wheel trims should be on their way this week now.

Old cars can be like an archaeological dig...as I'm doing much good work to the heating system (I hope) I thought I'd have a look at the Pollen filter....(particularly as there are lots of slight size variations in possible ebay replacements)

post-20084-0-30399200-1456776923_thumb.jpg

It is dated December 2004 - and this all fits in, as it was last seen at the main stealer (Cuff Miller) in 2005, so clearly servicing has been less thorough since!

I've been aware that the car has had a windscreen advisory for 10 years or more - and was surprised giffer owner hadn't got it sorted in that time. Well, perhaps he did at some point and it has got a new chip since. As under the windscreen scuttle (where the pollen filter is) I found a dozen or more chunks of sharp edged glass. Clearly, the diligent* windscreen fitter decided to leave a present behind...

post-20084-0-05042300-1456777131_thumb.jpg

Got a original Ford pollen filter replacement for under a tenner, so fitted and all cleaned up. Spot the difference?

post-20084-0-22566800-1457193721_thumb.jpg

The new heater controls have arrived (entirely reasonable £16 delivered) from a breaker/banger racer. All connectors look about right (I hope).

The new unit has two light bulbs (arrowed below). Now, these were missing from the old broken unit. I have a theory about that. I wonder if they had been replaced in the past, and perhaps they were too highly rated - causing overheating and the plastic to crack. I'm going to replace the ones in this new unit as it is a dashboard apart job to change them - they are 90p each here - (http://www.seautoelectrical.co.uk/)

Once the bulbs are here, I can get this fitted and back on the road!

post-20084-0-38246900-1457194386_thumb.jpg

Wheel trim options - I can get some proper new ones from fordpartsuk.com for around £20 a corner. Or, proper autoshite style - some used one's here at half the price. decisions! (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401075718770?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true)

Auto Glum black plastic stuff "goosegog juice" isn't bad, though you'll need a few applications in a row because the plastic will go streaky if it's been "dry" for a long time.

Re: the headlight lenses, PlastX isn't bad but I've had much better results with the equivalent 3M stuff, they just call it Plastic Polish. Here it comes in a black bottle.

Phil

These are what it has now - and what I'd like to keep. Spending £80 on a set of four of these does seem extravagant for purely cosmetic reasons though. Only two are actually broken so could get away with £40. I've seen one used one (see ebay link above) and have asked him if he has at least one more...

post-20084-0-03581300-1457378825_thumb.jpg

I can get a set of 4 of these for £41, that would look ok - but not be quite right!

post-20084-0-65850900-1457378967_thumb.jpg

Sweet. That pic of the dash reminded me of the days I used to mess around with the K11 Micra's dash, usually to change the lights for the heater controls or fit a cigar lighter or whatever.

Need to do it again at some point to change the heater element.

With all this talk of wheel trims, why not stretch out and get some original/tailored floor mats fitted.

Can't find any used ones on eBay but herevare some tailored ones @ £17.50:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-MK-1-1993-to-1996-Black-Car-Mats-Various-Colours-/270693462658