'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

Yep - it is in the Ulster Transport museum I think.

Probably the only Mondeo in a museum (there was one in the Science museum wasn't there, or is that a false memory?)

On 7/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, egg said:

About* £200, but this included re-fitting (which isn't hard) but they did re-rivet the rubber trim on the bottom, which I could have done, but at much more risk of causing damage to the paint...

re colours. Amazingly the base model was offered in 6 solid and 5 optional colours at launch - so you could have had your base in 11 different colours! The Black was extra cost, so the black GLX on the ebay tat thread that came up recently was I think a bit of a rarity.

If anyone out there spec'd a base in alberto green with Pumice trim, I'd have to buy it :-). You could also option ABS on the base. And the RS body kit with 15" alloys ?

O = Opal (grey)
A = Atlantis (blue)
P = Pumice (beige)

867570704_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.4ae5c23f99f939fe0ee99dee67957441.jpg

Not like now where on a lot of cars you get one standard colour and everything else you pay extra for. In 2006 when I got my old Fiesta there were 3 standard colours, colorado red, white or navy blue, now Flame Red seems to be the standard colour for Ford's, though it looks the same as Colorado Red to my eyes. 

Probably the only Mondeo in a museum (there was one in the Science museum wasn't there, or is that a false memory?)
Yes, just round from the invacar they have on display too

I haven't called in for a while, but next time I will take snaps...

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Boot leak is getting worse...

IMG_20191022_150300.thumb.jpg.81b6fa5ed10b46e1d95b277e0a9846cd.jpg

Let's strip things down. Bit mouldy here

IMG_20191022_151756.thumb.jpg.41357e67877d62bac5258e628f40f663.jpg

The highest point seems to be the side of the strut mount, or is that just condensation?

IMG_20191022_152450.thumb.jpg.7855f86982239200eefc83ef7a49fa39.jpg

I have seen this happen to others you see

FB_IMG_1571756607567.thumb.jpg.c976251269a2e1cd4def1489ad6ba84d.jpg

Anyway, let's get the light off

IMG_20191022_154329.thumb.jpg.f161349a36d34e35681b49cc4cd60e7d.jpg

That's thick old sealant. What type of sealant should I use to reseal? @sierraman will know...

Any really, I’ve always used clear silicone sealant. A bead round that usually sorts it. Sometimes they can also leak through the rear wiper grommet, it goes hard and the wiper spindle wears it out. Worth checking that, a new OE one is a few quid. Also make sure you have a boot floor left, the later ones are much worse for this but I’ve had them where the spare wheel well was perilously thin, a whack with a hammer and it’s be through. 

Thanks. Spare wheel well is dry, luckily.

Just tried adjusting the boot latch - but gorilla'ed one of the torx and stripped the thread, what a donkey. So that will have to stay where it is. Should have climbed inside the boot to get a better angle.  Apparently moving the latch down can tighten the boot seal. But using a watering can doesn't reveal any water getting past the boot seal anyway.

1276146308_IMG_20191022_1841522.thumb.jpg.cf6d863714d9d7abaf03473c39c09b01.jpg

Also popped the side vent off (inside the rear door) seems dry enough - so probably not the source.

So, re-seal the light and hope...

Should have been doing this in the summer.

I changed the wiper grommet as a precaution last winter.

Word of warning... if you use PU sealant (tigerseal etc) you’ll pretty much have to smash the lenses off to take them off. You access the bulbs from the inside but you never know. Chances of the silicone damaging the steel are very very minor, I’ve done this repair on these cars many many times and never had corrosion as a result. At one time you were able to replace just the seal but chances are supplies of those now will be useless. You could run a bead of sealant round the lens (off the car) then let it cure then refit the lens. But that’s a less than ideal way. 

Personally, I would just get a tube of non setting windscreen sealant.

As has been said, avoid any adhesive sealants as they are a little too permanent. 

I use a non set by 3m and it marvellous for sealing up without actually bonding.

Goes nicely round door apertures under the rubber seals too.

Run a nice chunky bead in place of the existing stuff and when you bolt the lamp up, it will squidge up and seal properly.

Cheers

Ben 

I cleaned up the whole area

IMG_20191024_104658.thumb.jpg.5aac9076b0263a25406872181ed2fbb5.jpg

I got some sealant

IMG_20191024_110535.thumb.jpg.e56262026bd3bf41a18076c430309494.jpg

I applied, I did some more after this, but time will tell if it was enough

IMG_20191024_111807.thumb.jpg.885b1261fdd502ec6a136b5fb4891fa4.jpg

I've left the boot in bits, and now we await some rain to see if it is ok.

By the way this isn't bodgery, it's the approved Ford workshop manual approach :-)

IMG_20191024_113142.thumb.jpg.7a1ea97b733145522b44762a20268f6e.jpg

Just having another look on a computer screen instead of phone and the only thing I would have done differently is to have cut the plastic nozzle down on the tube of sealant so that you get a neat continuous chunky bead of sealer.

The way you have done it should be fine though but if there is any slight water ingress, then it might be worth cleaning it off and going for the chunky bead instead.

Cheers

Ben

Yeah, I though about that too Ben, just after I started, but then it's quite a narrow channel to get the sealant in, which is why I carried on with the small nozzle. I need to pop outside and check it, as we had a bit of rain yesterday. 

29 minutes ago, Ben_O said:

Just having another look on a computer screen instead of phone and the only thing I would have done differently is to have cut the plastic nozzle down on the tube of sealant so that you get a neat continuous chunky bead of sealer.

think that too...

one day ill spot this on the road

Seems dry in there at the mo, but we need a real downpour to test it

IMG_20191025_114605.thumb.jpg.97152d49fb778506be86c3fc123bde1c.jpg

Because my Invacar is in the lockup this car won't benefit from a Jan-Feb lay up indoors this year. I think just moving all the carpet has reduced the condensation. There's no damp on the inside of the windscreen at the mo.

22 minutes ago, stuboy said:

one day ill spot this on the road

Hope so, but I've been using my Mazda most this year.

I think I used that sealant like I was re-sealing a bath more than a light unit ?

Good stuff. 

I’m now saying bollocks to laying up cars for winter. Life is simply too short and there aren’t enough fair weather months left. It’s simple enough to avoid the worst of the salt/weather and still use a car every week. 

This an AS icon for me. Nice work Egg. 

13 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

This an AS icon for me. Nice work Egg. 

Kind of you to say, not sure that many agree :-)!

Just put it back together and filled up - last 420 miles @ 35.4 mpg, not its best. Spark plugs last changed April 2016, probably time!

On 7/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, egg said:

Apologies for dragging an old post up - there is/was a Mondeo in the Science Museum, though it is sans all mechanicals, is left hand drive, oh - and its upside down on the ceiling...

The gallery it was in is now closed, so I'm not sure what the plan is.

8 hours ago, N19 said:

Apologies for dragging an old post up - there is/was a Mondeo in the Science Museum, though it is sans all mechanicals, is left hand drive, oh - and its upside down on the ceiling...

The gallery it was in is now closed, so I'm not sure what the plan is.

wernt this one the drove round asia etc?

hqdefault.jpg