'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

That Rimini Blue is a lovely colour... good job on the spraying!

When you fit the grille, will it not look a significantly different shade to the car, the car's paint having been exposed to the elements a good few years?

It looks like it will be quite noticeable on the photo above.

Yep, might do - I'll try it soon, but it could do with some new screws to hold it on as current ones are very rusty.

It's kind of a spare.

In true AS man-maths style, the grille was very cheap, and so it then meant I had to spend money on it to make it not cheap ;-).

Oh, MOT booked for 23rd of May, so you can see I'm working on priority* jobs.

3 minutes ago, RobT said:

Does it need work for the MoT then?

Not really Rob, assuming no surprises, but it's more that I've got a list of jobs for the 'road to FOTU'  (which is a motivator to get niggles dealt with)...like this...

• exhaust middle/rear box swap (I do plan to get this done before the test as it is blowing more and more)
    • rear bumper paint, 
    • thermostat change (related parts), 
    • electrical jobs - several small things I want to speak to an auto spark about 
    • rear suspension bushes/links (not urgent, but as the front is now completely refreshed, time to think about the rear)
    • Vactan/Hamber subframes (ramp hire?)
    • Rear tailight seal or boot adjustment

And painting the grille wasn't up there on the list...

Also, the rear tyres are very old (same ones the old giffer had on when I bought it) so tempted to swap the newer ditchfinders to the rear and get some higher quality stuff up front.

The rear links are easy job on those though you’ll probably end up cutting them off with the grinder. 

When you swap the thermostat I’d be tempted to leave the main housing alone as they can be a real bastard to seal. 

Are you DIYing the exhaust? 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Are you DIYing the exhaust? 

I think I've managed to persuade one of the friendlier tyre/exhaust places round here to do it next week.

First I got the story about 'insurance doesn't cover us' for doing work with customer parts (Rob picked up part of the exhaust for me last year) but we got to a place over the phone of 'bring it in and we'll have a look'.

TBH, I don't fancy lying in the road to remove 26 year old original fastenings. Though the exhaust itself is probably easy enough to fit - a few hangers, a gasket at the Cat end and a connector like this between the middle/rear...

s-l1600.jpg

I had to buy that separately when I realised the back box didn't have a 'lip' on it.

Replacing exhausts is a foul job. IIRC the Mk1 and early Mk2 had the Cat up front underneath the weird up and over type manifold that frequently cracks on the inside edge. 

The drops links are a very easy DIY type job but they are tediously weak on the Pre 98 ones, the metalastic bush goes. 

Only working the morning today, so this afternoon chucked the new middle and rear box in the back and took them to be fitted £30 - so not bad to save myself a lot of possible hassle.

Bit quieter now too, so all good. The old exhaust wasn't original (as I thought it might be) just another Euroflo already fitted.

This should avoid an MOT advisory on exhaust leak.

We had the usual 'garage chat' about how they used to do 20-30 of these a day in the good old days, but it's more complex now, no money in it....etc etc....

P5130064.thumb.JPG.e229b73e60c4ee49c48ba040b925881e.JPG

I was thinking of you today, Eggward, as I was trundling about being all middle class. This absolute babe was right in front of me on the way to Godmanchester. 

326BB064-7EE6-4013-A62E-9E326271C7D7.thumb.jpeg.2a1ddaf6e893e6b0e88a489f6e57b973.jpeg

Rear headrests. Such aspirational stuff. I lost it a few miles down the road but, seeing the age of the driver, suspected I’d see it again before too long. 

One hour later, here she is. In her natural environment. A garden centre car park. The owner was a lady in her 60s and was buying some pretty heavyweight perennial action. How lush does it look - wonderful trims!

Excuse my awful covert photography!

0342B38C-C7CA-47C9-96CC-6B5311F7457C.jpeg

53,000 miles at the last MOT. Cor.

If I could find an Atlantis blue rear seat back with headrests I would fit it (at least temporarily) as Mrs Egg and mini-Egg would prefer a bit of improved safety*, and it was an available as part of the safety option pack (rear headrests, ABS and passenger airbag) from the start IIRC.

43 minutes ago, sierraman said:

By strange coincidence mine passed today. Only an advisory for a driveshaft gaiter, which I’ll sort next week. 

Good news that. Given the rate at which even MK2s are disappearing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:49 PM, egg said:
  • K529TCE (built 2/3/93) Isis Blue been for sale for an age currently SORN'D - Saloon  - still SORN'D no MOT since 2015
  • K992NMD (built 9/3/93) Metallic Green - running on Ghia wheels - taxed and MOT'd
  • K632UDG (built 20/3/93) Rimini Blue - tax expired March 18, MOT expired May 19.
  • K155OPX (built 24/3/93 - mine) Rimini Blue - mine
  • L997SHU (built 24/3/93) Isis Blue - highly modified lookalike of a 1993 BTCC car - taxed and MOT'd
  • K440LYA (built 8/6/93) Metallic Green (not sure which green this is - as not available on launch?) - taxed and MOT'd (for sale)
  • M39TML (built 2/7/93) Radiant red - the attempted Bornite purchase that wasn't registered until 18/8/1994 - Saloon - Not taxed or MOT'd since June 2018 :-(
  • L529TGP (built 7/7/93) Stardust Silver - scrapped
  • L383UHU (built 23/11/93) Diamond White - the only known Diesel so far. - SORN'd MOT expired in March.

This was the list of known Base models this time last year. K440 LYA has come up for sale again (see ebay tat thread) so have updated all of them in bold..

HML says 22 taxed with 49 SORN'd (models just called 'Mondeo' 93-96)

There is a tidy L reg LX with block top bumpers near me, it passed me yesterday but often see it, looks well kept.

There is / were until recently not one but TWO K reg Mondeo's in Southend, both grey and both looked dumped on driveways either non running or giffers given up driving.