'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

37 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That was the one with moon miles, 300/350k or something? Probably finally carked it, it's had a good, hard life

Yeah, probably the highest mile one left.

image.jpeg.35cbea3882f7247df6ca7b56bf2524b1.jpeg

We're down to about 500 taxed MK1's total (K to P), but 3,000 SORN....

Mine was built 31 years ago this week.

Here's a bonkers stat - crazy if true.

If you add up the taxed MK5 Cortinas (all between 79-82 on HML) = 552

v 520 MK1 Mondeos.

There are more taxed MK5 Cortinas then taxed MK1 Mondeos!

I appreciate there's less incentive to SORN - as they are free to tax now - but there are 1,000 SORN as well compared to 3,000 SORN MK1 Mondeos

Edit - I should add the Cortina figure will include imports - as the data for year manufactured is higher than 1st registered if that makes sense.

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That was the one with moon miles, 300/350k or something? Probably finally carked it, it's had a good, hard life

That's a lot of miles for one of those engines. Piston rings probably more like razor blades if it's the original lump!

That's a high mileage for a petrol. The highest mileage petrol Mondeo taxi I had was only in the low 200Ks although I did have a couple of diesels with over 250K on the clock. 

I should add though that the only reason I disposed of those cars was due to the local council and their eight year limit for PH cars, not due to mechanical failure.

11 hours ago, egg said:

Here's a bonkers stat - crazy if true.

If you add up the taxed MK5 Cortinas (all between 79-82 on HML) = 552

v 520 MK1 Mondeos.

There are more taxed MK5 Cortinas then taxed MK1 Mondeos!

I appreciate there's less incentive to SORN - as they are free to tax now - but there are 1,000 SORN as well compared to 3,000 SORN MK1 Mondeos

Edit - I should add the Cortina figure will include imports - as the data for year manufactured is higher than 1st registered if that makes sense.

Scrappage scheme's will have done for a lot. By then  a Cortina would've been a classic so less chance of being traded in for it. Mondeo would just be seen as a disposable.

2 hours ago, egg said:

More work by this chap on saving the 'scrapyard Mondeo'. Nice vid.

Saw that too. 

I was watching this one on ebay that's not long sold. The owner was so rude in their response to me asking basic questions (primarily "what is the nearest train station to you?") I didn't bother. I assume the saloon is a much rarer beast then the hatch? That one had the timing belt changed and looked alright. Ive had a couple of mk1's but love an early K/L carScreenshot_20240324_152323_eBay.jpg.b0d062ceb400e1ac30a6df2c55d6c01a.jpg

43 minutes ago, Marshall2810 said:

I assume the saloon is a much rarer beast then the hatch

yes they are but no idea on numbers as the DVLA etc doesn't record it - if I'm really bored at some point I'll go through the K-reg survivors and work it out.

26 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Loads will be on a SORN but actually scrapped.

I think so, there's definitely a few parked up on driveways by folk who probably bought one for retirement and now are too old to drive, but I can't believe there are that many pristine examples in warm garages. E.g. 800 of them are LX's - so I doubt have been cossetted. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

I think so, there's definitely a few parked up on driveways by folk who probably bought one for retirement and now are too old to drive, but I can't believe there are that many pristine examples in warm garages. E.g. 800 of them are LX's - so I doubt have been cossetted. 

For an old boy part exchanging his 1986 Sierra 1.6L a Mondeo LX would have had more than enough toys compared to what he's used to.

From a taxi point of view, the Mk1 was probably a nicer car to work than the Mk2. The Mk1 had nicer seat trim in sub GLX spec and came with a remote boot release. The Mk2 had better air vents though. The Mk1 had a handy cubby under the stereo that would nicely house a Tait two way radio meaning the driver didn't have to fuck about screwing a cage to the transmission tunnel which stole legroom. The Mk1 always seemed to have a better gearchange despite the slightly shorter lever. 

16 hours ago, egg said:

yes they are but no idea on numbers as the DVLA etc doesn't record it - if I'm really bored at some point I'll go through the K-reg survivors and work it out.

badger them with another FOI :) the DVLA very much do record it, note the body type data field on your V5 

its just the datasets that HML get their data from dont include it, but it can very much be requested by FOI, I saw one for Lambretta scooters, and there was at least 1 registered as a snow plough of all things!

On 17/05/2022 at 13:35, LightBulbFun said:

I imagine there may be a few, I certainly uncovered a few NI registered ones when I did the K reg Estate bash, so I imagine there would be a fair saloons as well :) 

the ever reliable* How many left reports 115 Taxed and 492 SORN'ed for 1993, so  you have not done too badly with the 60 you have found so far given only a sub set of those on How many left would be K prefix

(as a side note, there is one "Mondeo" down as made in 1989 thats still taxed, I wonder what that one actually is LOL, clearly someone entered the wrong model code on the DVLA computer when registering that one LOL)

I wonder if it might be worth doing a FOI request to the DVLA? :) "please tell me how many Ford Mondeo's of all types registered before the 1st of August 1993, (broken down by trim level/model type) are still tax or SORN as of this FOI, separated into separate lists for vehicles that are still taxed, and a separate list for SORNed vehicles"

that way you know exactly what your still looking for, as it will filter out all the L prefix and later cars

I have seen something like this done in my research of the DVLA,  in one of the FOI's I looked at, I found a list of all the lambretta's registered with the DVLA and arranged by body type, year of manufacture and engine size

image.thumb.png.3367a79d097c3b38647d915f3066282f.png

(theres exactly 1 thats registered as a snow plough amusingly LOL)

FOIR6424 Attachment.xlsx 50.95 kB · 2 downloads

so they can definitely do something like this for Mondeo's I imagine :) 

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

the DVLA very much do record it, note the body type data field on your V5 

When I did the list of remaining S-reg Focuses, CarBaba was able to help me narrow down body style. This proved really handy in determining the remaining number of 1998 estates, for example. 

9 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

When I did the list of remaining S-reg Focuses, CarBaba was able to help me narrow down body style. This proved really handy in determining the remaining number of 1998 estates, for example. 

freecarcheck does as well, but I think it's 5 free searches a day there?

I'm informed this one was at last weekend's NEC Practical Classics show.

434211250_3601993340067312_5925526015416

On 25/03/2024 at 18:50, egg said:

freecarcheck does as well, but I think it's 5 free searches a day there?

I'm informed this one was at last weekend's NEC Practical Classics show.

434211250_3601993340067312_5925526015416

I had a few that colour. One 2.0 Ghia X springs to mind. The one I've written about in the last two paragraphs of this post.

I used to offer what we in the trade call a "Settle Buys". 

A deal done between two drivers or a driver and a fleet owner where the buyer puts down a deposit and pays weekly rental payments until the vehicle is paid for. I did offer to rent the cab but he'd rather sell it for cash or on the weekly. I refer the settle buy option because if I was only renting it there's nothing stopping him selling the cab to someone else with a weeks notice and leaving me without a job again. 

As well as renting out private hire cars back in the mid 2000s, I also used to offer settle buys. A driver could either rent a Mk2 Mondeo from me at £80 a week or buy one from me at £100 a week. The ones I sold were usually the better examples of Mk2 Mondeos, meaning the rentals were bought in as a Cat C and the settle buys were Cat D. 

I generally tried to sell cars for less than £4000 so they'd be paid for in much less than a year as I didn't want an argument if it failed its next plate MOT. Warranties were usually only for a month as a driver could hand the car back at any time, even after a month. What I, and a few other fleet owners offered, was the option for the driver buying the car to bring it to the garage I used to have any major malfunctions fixed with no immidiate cost, I'd just put the cost of the replacement clutch, gearbox, injector pump as extra weekly payments of £100 at the end of the finance agreement. This usually worked out that the driver ended up paying maybe £4800, or 48 payments of £100 for his Mondeo. The profit on charging full retail on the parts and labour I'd split with my mechanic. Unlike the rental cars on my fleet, things like tyres and servicing were not included in the weekly payment although I'd happily put a £70 service on the end of the bill for £100.

Every car I sold on the weekly would be sent out with a new cambelt, decent tyres and freshly serviced. If a car was returned within a month, something that only happened once, I'd advertise it out again as a settle buy. Any car handed back to be after that went straight onto my rental fleet. I generally stuck to Mk2 Mondeos for several good reasons. Firstly they were a cheap fix both mechanically and to get them hammered straight in the first place. Secondly, I always had a crashed or dead example to rip apart for parts. I always made a habit of buying Mondeos no older than five and a bit years old so I had the time to get them pulled straight and plated before their sixth birthday meaning that they'd be young enough to get a 12 month plate on because my council insists on retesting a PH car twice a year when it reaches 6 years old.

At the same time I was selling Mondeo Mk2s on the weekly another, larger, operation was doing something similar but selling the super desireable at the time Peugeot 406. Although admittedly his 406s were a couple of years newer than my Mondeos, he had no shortage of punters chomping at the bit to grab themselves a piece of repaired Cat C 406 action for the eye watering price of £10k. FFS! That's well over two years repayments after repairs. Come to think of it, that's £10 grand for a Cat C 406 with DHSS spec, clock instead of a rev counter in that shitty solid green colour. Any Mondeo Aspen I bought went straight to rental and the driver would always want first refusal on the next LX or GLX I had available. 

One interesting point to ponder is that it didn't matter if the Mondeo I was selling was a hatch or a saloon, they both sold and rented out just as easily. Another fact that's only just occured to me twenty years down the line is that out of the dozens of Mk1/2 Mondeos that passed through my hands I honestly don't think any of them were estates. I can't think why this is. 

I had one driver who totally refused to buy a car on the weekly from me and insisting on renting despite me telling him it was dead money. He'd been with me nearly two years and as my longest serving driver he'd managed to work his way up to the top of the food chain on my rental fleet finding himself driving a Mk2 Ghia X manual hatch with full leather in metallic grey. He'd recently swapped to this Ghia X from a GLX 1.8 diesel hatch because he had his own operators licence and did airport transfers like a Poundland NorfolkNWeigh and was happy to have a 2.0 petrol over the diesel fitted in his GLX as the Ghia X had cruise contorl fitted, a feature unavailable on any Mk1/2 Mondeo. It came as no surprise that he didn't really have to pay any fuel penalty as the 1.8 Endura D diesel lump wasn't the most economical oil burner at motorway speeds. The problem started when this lad took one Manchester Airport job too many and fell asleep on the M56 whilst driving to pick up one of his clients. He woke up after the Mondeo hit the central reservation causing him to spin accross all three lanes before coming to a halt sideways covering lanes 1 and 2. He was only insured third party, as almost all drivers were back then, which happily paid out for several yards of Armco but left me with a pretty big bill for a Mondeo that was way beyond repair. 

When I chased him for the money he started to whinge stating that he'd given me something like £6000 over the last year or so which more than covers what I paid for the car. Now that's sort of true but he'd not had the Ghia X more than a couple of months. If he'd have bought the first car I rented to him off me on the weekly, a Mk2 1.8 petrol LX in Panther Black IIRC. He would now not be looking at a huge bill to replace the Mondeo that at the time was the pride of my rental fleet. Eager to avoid a bare knuckle fist fight with a 20 stone 5'5" bloke who looks like he'll drop dead of a stroke at any moment now, I agreed to rent him a metallic dark green 2.0 LX automatic Mk2 Mondeo for £185 a week. £80 rental, £55 insurance and £50 to pay me on the weekly for the crashed Ghia X. After a few months I awoke to discover the Mondeo Mk2 parked outside my flat with the keys in my letterbox. I was expecting that to be honest but what really hurt was seeing him later that week driving a settle buy 406 from the other firm I mentioned earlier. I really couldn't be arsed chasing him for anymore money.

42 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Eager to avoid a bare knuckle fist fight with a 20 stone 5'5" bloke who looks like he'll drop dead of a stroke at any moment now,

Good write up would read again. Is said driver still with us?!

What made the 406 much more desirable?

1 minute ago, egg said:

Good write up would read again. Is said driver still with us?!

What made the 406 much more desirable?

I'm flattered!

I can't say I've seen said driver around for at least ten years.

The 406 is/was a very good looking car. The Pug diesel XUD was a better and more economical unit than the Ford diesel. The 406 does have better seats, as I said a little earlier you have to go up as high as GLX spec in the Mk2 Mondeo to get soft seat fabric. The bits that you touch in the 406 seem nicer than in the Mondeo, it feels like a much more substantial car. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I've never sat in the back of the 406, but imagine more space for punters too...

The 406 was the only car more popular as a taxi in my area than the mid sized Ford. Despite this, when the 407 was introduced it found very few fans and everyone migrated to the Mk3 Mondeo.

BTW, I've had another look at the saloon/hatch thing - used totalcarcheck and now have

31 K reg saloons v 40 Hatches.

But hang on a min....

2 estates! Mythical beasts.

K589 PGB - last MOT 2017

K737 SJE - No MOT since 2009

Probably both bean cans, but proves* some K reg estates existed (both registered June 93)

On 24/03/2024 at 22:39, warren t claim said:

Am I the only one here who thinks that the Mk1 looks better as a saloon but the Mk2 looks better as a hatchback?

100% agree; the Mk1 saloon was a proper looker, the hatchback Mk2 always looked much more finished than the Mk2 saloon.

When I was growing up my mate's dad had a kinda pale metallic fern green Mk1 saloon, reflective panel between the tail lights,  and Cosworth style alloys... it was as cool as polar bear balls in 1996 when it replaced a Fiat Fiorino van as his family transport.

L373 UDS it was though, no K-reg goodness.