'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

37 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That was the one with moon miles, 300/350k or something? Probably finally carked it, it's had a good, hard life

Yeah, probably the highest mile one left.

image.jpeg.35cbea3882f7247df6ca7b56bf2524b1.jpeg

We're down to about 500 taxed MK1's total (K to P), but 3,000 SORN....

Mine was built 31 years ago this week.

Here's a bonkers stat - crazy if true.

If you add up the taxed MK5 Cortinas (all between 79-82 on HML) = 552

v 520 MK1 Mondeos.

There are more taxed MK5 Cortinas then taxed MK1 Mondeos!

I appreciate there's less incentive to SORN - as they are free to tax now - but there are 1,000 SORN as well compared to 3,000 SORN MK1 Mondeos

Edit - I should add the Cortina figure will include imports - as the data for year manufactured is higher than 1st registered if that makes sense.

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That was the one with moon miles, 300/350k or something? Probably finally carked it, it's had a good, hard life

That's a lot of miles for one of those engines. Piston rings probably more like razor blades if it's the original lump!

That's a high mileage for a petrol. The highest mileage petrol Mondeo taxi I had was only in the low 200Ks although I did have a couple of diesels with over 250K on the clock. 

I should add though that the only reason I disposed of those cars was due to the local council and their eight year limit for PH cars, not due to mechanical failure.

11 hours ago, egg said:

Here's a bonkers stat - crazy if true.

If you add up the taxed MK5 Cortinas (all between 79-82 on HML) = 552

v 520 MK1 Mondeos.

There are more taxed MK5 Cortinas then taxed MK1 Mondeos!

I appreciate there's less incentive to SORN - as they are free to tax now - but there are 1,000 SORN as well compared to 3,000 SORN MK1 Mondeos

Edit - I should add the Cortina figure will include imports - as the data for year manufactured is higher than 1st registered if that makes sense.

Scrappage scheme's will have done for a lot. By then  a Cortina would've been a classic so less chance of being traded in for it. Mondeo would just be seen as a disposable.

2 hours ago, egg said:

More work by this chap on saving the 'scrapyard Mondeo'. Nice vid.

Saw that too. 

I was watching this one on ebay that's not long sold. The owner was so rude in their response to me asking basic questions (primarily "what is the nearest train station to you?") I didn't bother. I assume the saloon is a much rarer beast then the hatch? That one had the timing belt changed and looked alright. Ive had a couple of mk1's but love an early K/L carScreenshot_20240324_152323_eBay.jpg.b0d062ceb400e1ac30a6df2c55d6c01a.jpg

43 minutes ago, Marshall2810 said:

I assume the saloon is a much rarer beast then the hatch

yes they are but no idea on numbers as the DVLA etc doesn't record it - if I'm really bored at some point I'll go through the K-reg survivors and work it out.

26 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Loads will be on a SORN but actually scrapped.

I think so, there's definitely a few parked up on driveways by folk who probably bought one for retirement and now are too old to drive, but I can't believe there are that many pristine examples in warm garages. E.g. 800 of them are LX's - so I doubt have been cossetted. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

I think so, there's definitely a few parked up on driveways by folk who probably bought one for retirement and now are too old to drive, but I can't believe there are that many pristine examples in warm garages. E.g. 800 of them are LX's - so I doubt have been cossetted. 

For an old boy part exchanging his 1986 Sierra 1.6L a Mondeo LX would have had more than enough toys compared to what he's used to.

From a taxi point of view, the Mk1 was probably a nicer car to work than the Mk2. The Mk1 had nicer seat trim in sub GLX spec and came with a remote boot release. The Mk2 had better air vents though. The Mk1 had a handy cubby under the stereo that would nicely house a Tait two way radio meaning the driver didn't have to fuck about screwing a cage to the transmission tunnel which stole legroom. The Mk1 always seemed to have a better gearchange despite the slightly shorter lever. 

16 hours ago, egg said:

yes they are but no idea on numbers as the DVLA etc doesn't record it - if I'm really bored at some point I'll go through the K-reg survivors and work it out.

badger them with another FOI :) the DVLA very much do record it, note the body type data field on your V5 

its just the datasets that HML get their data from dont include it, but it can very much be requested by FOI, I saw one for Lambretta scooters, and there was at least 1 registered as a snow plough of all things!

On 17/05/2022 at 13:35, LightBulbFun said:

I imagine there may be a few, I certainly uncovered a few NI registered ones when I did the K reg Estate bash, so I imagine there would be a fair saloons as well :) 

the ever reliable* How many left reports 115 Taxed and 492 SORN'ed for 1993, so  you have not done too badly with the 60 you have found so far given only a sub set of those on How many left would be K prefix

(as a side note, there is one "Mondeo" down as made in 1989 thats still taxed, I wonder what that one actually is LOL, clearly someone entered the wrong model code on the DVLA computer when registering that one LOL)

I wonder if it might be worth doing a FOI request to the DVLA? :) "please tell me how many Ford Mondeo's of all types registered before the 1st of August 1993, (broken down by trim level/model type) are still tax or SORN as of this FOI, separated into separate lists for vehicles that are still taxed, and a separate list for SORNed vehicles"

that way you know exactly what your still looking for, as it will filter out all the L prefix and later cars

I have seen something like this done in my research of the DVLA,  in one of the FOI's I looked at, I found a list of all the lambretta's registered with the DVLA and arranged by body type, year of manufacture and engine size

image.thumb.png.3367a79d097c3b38647d915f3066282f.png

(theres exactly 1 thats registered as a snow plough amusingly LOL)

FOIR6424 Attachment.xlsx 50.95 kB · 2 downloads

so they can definitely do something like this for Mondeo's I imagine :) 

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

the DVLA very much do record it, note the body type data field on your V5 

When I did the list of remaining S-reg Focuses, CarBaba was able to help me narrow down body style. This proved really handy in determining the remaining number of 1998 estates, for example. 

9 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

When I did the list of remaining S-reg Focuses, CarBaba was able to help me narrow down body style. This proved really handy in determining the remaining number of 1998 estates, for example. 

freecarcheck does as well, but I think it's 5 free searches a day there?

I'm informed this one was at last weekend's NEC Practical Classics show.

434211250_3601993340067312_5925526015416

So far I've gone through 40 K reg Mondeos to see the split between hatch and saloon.

It's exactly 50/50 - 20 of each...

I'll fill some more in over the next few days and see where we end up.