'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

It must be a year since I bought and sold my mk1 Mondeo 1.6 GLX. I was surprised how well the little Zetec pulled, I think I saw 110 on the GPS.

Tranny clock base models must be pretty thin on the ground by now.

I think the 1.6 Mondeo is one of those models that can't be bangered in the under 1600 class which might explain why the vendor was happy to sell it on.

I still like the Mondeo interior and think it looks modern even now, even compared with some cars made in the last 5 years, its definitely nicer than mk3/4 Mondeo interiors IMO. I remember loads of these kicking about when I was a kid, owing to their being a Ford dealer on every street corner back then and also it seemed back then everyone owned a Ford, I used to question why other car manufacturers bothered because Fords were everywhere.

I used to love Mondeos as a kid, my dad had an Orion at the time and any time we went to the local Ford dealers I'd ogle the Mondeos in the showroom/forecourt. I much preferred the saloon shape though. I remember my dad bought a P reg Chrysler Neon in 2000 for £4500 and there was also an N reg Mondeo 2.5 V6 24v in the same dealers for £4500 and trying to persuade him to buy it but the Orion was such a piece of crap he was put off Fords for years and i was gutted. I also remember a similar K reg Mondeo in the same blue as this, only it was a Ghia saloon, in a local VW/Audi dealer forecourt, mustve been only a couple of years old at the time as it was up for £9495, probably my favourite Mondeo ever.

I once bought a new Orion Ghia Si (130 PS) and I have to say it did go very well.  It pulled in every gear, and synchro on reverse was a novelty.  We parted company after 105,000 miles for an eight month old (Ford Direct) Mark II Mondeo Si V6 in Juice green, saving about a third on the new price.  This was a lovely car which I kept for about 150,000 miles.  It performed best when it was either four up, or loaded with ballast (usually boxes of wine from the south of France).  I remember one time, not at band camp, when I underestimated the distance from an overnight stop at Reims to get to the Tunnel sous la Manche and had to cover that distance in two hours.  Including a necessary pit stop and the compulsory péage outside Calais, we managed it - I wont say easily, but it took just under the two hours available.  Mondeo ownership was pretty much fault-free, unlike the Orion.  I think build quality at Ford must have improved between 1991 and 1999.

I've been pricing-up how much I might invest* in the Mondeo to get it up to something I would rely on for work (I have included business use on the insurance - I think this car will need the occasional decent run on the motorway).

Here's the list - of course a new clutch would blow this out the water. What other nasties could I be missing? The suspension/steering issues are a bit of an unknown until a pro has a look.

post-20084-0-17002200-1455048821_thumb.jpg

Clutch - these do bite high even with a new clutch so I wouldn't worry unduly, I'd check if it slips with the handbrake on pulling away in 1st.

Timing belt - being the silver top this is a 60k job as opposed to the black tops claimed 100k. It's rarely the belt itself that goes, as belts go these are a meaty belt. It usually the tensioner that goes and you can guess the rest. You are looking £40-50 for a belt plus probably 2 - 2.5 hours labour. The locking plate is a length of correct thickness steel plate to lock the camshaft. You'll need to have the rocker cover off to do this. Probably a ripe time to do the rocker at this time. I wouldn't bother replacing the gasket, I'd just clean it up and give it a run off Hylomar round the outside upon reassembly, go steady on tightening the bolts up, only need nipping up.

Gearbox oil - I'd leave it personally, but it's your choice, the MTX75 as with other ford boxes can be a shit shift until the oil warms up a bit.

Wishbone arms - can be a fairly easy job why not tackle it yourself, I'd factor in a set of pinch bolts in at about a tenner, the pinch bolt holding the swivel joint most likely to shear... Are there actually any play in the joint or are the void bushes perished, they can be slightly perished but perfectly MOT able. If it's just the joint that's gone, you can just replace this by grinding the rivets and replacing these with bolts. Not worthwhile if you are paying labour but if you are doing it yourself it will save a few bob.

I've decided to pay up for new wishbones. It is on the Ford originals!

£150 including balancing which I felt was fair.

New garage just round the corner from me, a bloke trying to build his reputation up (and he drives a Corrado and his mate has a Capri so must be ok? ;-))

Confident he sounds like he knows what he is doing - as he knows about the bolts being the wrong way round on the gearbox side.

Once this is done can be pressed into daily service (and I'll feel confident then about taking my 5 year old around in it) then other jobs can be considered.

He's doing it tomorrow....

Not Ford arms unfortunately, but I can't seem to find them easily anyway (FINIS: 1030277/1030278) some ebay sellers have 'OE quality' ones whatever that really means!

I'm also trying to resist buying a new set of trims for £40 as well - that do look genuine...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331657524937?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Number plate might be worth £250 (in theory) - if you sell can you get a free replacement from DVLA (age related??)

Not Ford arms unfortunately, but I can't seem to find them easily anyway (FINIS: 1030277/1030278) some ebay sellers have 'OE quality' ones whatever that really means!

Number plate might be worth £250 (in theory) - if you sell can you get a free replacement from DVLA (age related??)

Yes it's automatically issued with a new age related number when you transfer the registration

OE should be Lemforder at a guess. Might last longer but then it depends how many miles you do, use etc.. I've fitted pattern bottom arms before on cars that have done a few thousand a year and they've lasted years. Again I've had all the types of hubcap, had about 2 sets of the teardrop type. Skipped them when I bought alloys...as you do unknown of their later value!

Well that's a bit better. Can't really test out fully due to weather being piss poor, but it certainly no longer feels unsafe!

My new mechanic did suggest though that there was some lateral movement on the anti roll bar suggesting those bushes need doing too. I think that would really be the complete answer - but where do you stop!

Also noticed tonight that none of the bulbs for the heater controls work - but that's a dash apart job so can probably wait....

Took it for a spin this morning, happy with the handling now....however....

no heating. Blower working well on all settings (1-4). I hope it isn't the heater matrix! (That was the only reason I didn't buy Phil_Lihp's volvo!)

Any simple checks to do?

Right, just got worse....fiddling with the fan speed knob, pulled it off to have a look and then the connector inside disappeared (obviously snapped from its normal position).

Undone the centre console - now how do I remove the radio without the 'special' Ford tool?

Undone the centre console - now how do I remove the radio without the 'special' Ford tool?

TRW's suggestion is honestly the best. Get a wire coat hanger, snip the ends off so you have two U shaped bits and poke them in the holes. The radio will come out so easily you'll be amazed it's not the official tool. 

Perhaps a bit late to tell you now the dash is in bits, but last year when I got the little Fiat, it had no heat. It then had a thorough Italian tune-up, and the warm came back. I can only think I got the water flowing around at a good rate and cleared an air lock or something. 

Is it bled properly?

Perhaps a bit late to tell you now the dash is in bits, but last year when I got the little Fiat, it had no heat. It then had a thorough Italian tune-up, and the warm came back. I can only think I got the water flowing around at a good rate and cleared an air lock or something. 

Is it bled properly?

This is possible - the car generally feels like it has seized up through lack of use (stiff gearchange etc) - but I think I think something has snapped off inside the fan control knob any way - so looks like I might need a new control unit. 

Classic downsides of low miles giffer motors!