'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

That Si looks immense but £7k? And what would you do with it with 5,000 miles on the clock. You could use it every day and treat it like you’d bought a new car but at some point something would break and you’d be off the road a month of Sundays finding the part. So other than that you’d need to garage it so it becomes an ornament. 

Wonder what the story is with it? A bereavement perhaps?

On 12/1/2020 at 6:16 PM, sierraman said:

That Si looks immense but £7k? And what would you do with it with 5,000 miles on the clock. You could use it every day and treat it like you’d bought a new car but at some point something would break and you’d be off the road a month of Sundays finding the part. So other than that you’d need to garage it so it becomes an ornament. 

Wonder what the story is with it? A bereavement perhaps?

I agree, it looks really nice but it would be a shame to start using it, unless you bought it to use as a giant paperweight 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bitzer said:

I thought Ford´s 1.8 crude oil burners of this era were to be avoided at any cost?

We’re talking £600 cars here, they weren’t a very smooth engine but with care they’d take a lot of abuse. What was relevant in 1996 is probably less so now, if you’d have wanted a diesel back then you’d have bought the superb Passat 1.9 TDI or a 406 HDI. At this price point it’s economical transport through the winter, run it till it falls to bits and start again. 

Saw a 1.8 TDCI Mk4 a few weeks ago, a bit leggy with 180k on the clock, plenty of test it was on for £650. Of course it’s got the dreaded wet belt but at this price point it’s bye the bye. You’d run it till it packs in if you couldn’t be arsed with doing the lower belt. Hopefully you’d see a year or two from it then cash it in for £150-200 at the breakers. Cheap motoring. 

I´ve never owned a dizzel (and do not intend to), but AFAIK Ford´s 1.8 TDs often refused to start in sub-zero conditions when new.

We are not talking about Fuehrer´s TDI or Italian JTD engines here. The thing in question is a "tidy Mk1 diesel", i.e. Mk1 Mondeo with the dreaded 1.8 TD.

Unless I´ve missed something.

I’ve never had any trouble starting any diesels in any weather. On an older tech diesel like that you are much more dependent on the glow plugs, a few cycles of ignition on for a few seconds then off should have it warm enough. Not sure off hand about that particular model but for some markets they had a filter heater. Either way it’s a cheap reliable and easy to work on diesel. It’s a £600 car ultimately, something to get you to work and back in. 

The problems with cold starting were inherent and related to insufficient compression. Also, starting-related electric system was not exactly perfect.

Unless I am seriously mistaken here, modernized TD is marked as TDDi and TDCi is altogether different engine (maybe originally PSA?).

3 hours ago, Bitzer said:

The problems with cold starting were inherent and related to insufficient compression. Also, starting-related electric system was not exactly perfect.

Unless I am seriously mistaken here, modernized TD is marked as TDDi and TDCi is altogether different engine (maybe originally PSA?).

The 1.8 was later used in the TDDI Focus then with common rail TDCI Delphi injection system in the later models, it was used again with a VNT turbo in the Mk2 Focus and Mk4 Mondeo then went from a lower chain to a belt in 2007. All the TDCI meant was it was common rail. Good workhorse of an engine if it’s maintained right and has the belts swapped where relevant.

The 1.6 and the 2.0 in the Mk4 Mondeo/Mk2 Focus are a PSA derived unit.

Because you can never have too many Ford parts....the wheel trim was on ebay, new old stock, so had to have it.

The thermostat housing seal, thermostat screws and gearbox drain plug (which is same as top up plug) came from Sweden - junk.se lists a lot of old Ford parts at competitive prices even with postage from overseas, and thought I'd get a few odds and ends I might need next year before Brexit.

835860255_IMG_20201224_1147352.thumb.jpg.3618565e357d319b94a99d5e380cdaac.jpg

Happy Christmas to me. And to anyone who follows this thread!

• egg changed the title to '93 Mondy thread - My K reg register

Here are all the K reg cars known to me, sorted by date of registration. I'd be interested in any others known please? This is the first time I've put them in a spreadsheet. I will add engine size, colour etc as time goes on.

There are 26 here.

1632500350_kreg.thumb.JPG.37e32f7d20cf8f474ab3f85a393c1f9c.JPG

I know as of earlier in the year there were 626 Mondeos with a 1993 manufacture date left on HML. But this includes all of the L reg cars registered between 1st August 1993 and 31 December 1993. 

So there are 5 months of K reg and 5 months of L reg in 1993 (with March launch date) - so we can probably assume there are no more than 300 K-reg cars in physical existence. Probably less...

Edit - missed K998 RAF - now added.

I wonder who supplied K31 TAG new. In 1993 the local dealers that would have had a Hull registration were Sanderson Ford in Hull, Beverley Ford in, erm, Beverley and Richardson Ford in Driffield and Bridlington. Richardsons are still there, Beverley Ford is now Right Car and Sanderson now Evans Halshaw

5 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I wonder who supplied K31 TAG new. In 1993 the local dealers that would have had a Hull registration were Sanderson Ford in Hull, Beverley Ford in, erm, Beverley and Richardson Ford in Driffield and Bridlington. Richardsons are still there, Beverley Ford is now Right Car and Sanderson now Evans Halshaw

I've only got one pic, and nothing on the number plate to suggest....

k31TAG.thumb.JPG.3c5687d402b255bd9eaac97a82060e5d.JPG