'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

15 minutes ago, N19 said:

If it's spares from there that you kindly gave me a year or so ago, the O/S headlight still provides sterling service - and a few other bits too!

Could have been from many of them, possibly this S plate 1.8 Saloon. Stripped it down to the shell which ultimately got raced. 

3E9CA7AB-C533-4998-9D2C-F2AD5B63E236.jpeg

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I think they're doing a Y reg one, I heard mention of it being a 22 year old Mondeo. 

I'd expect it's a MK2 (MK1.5!?) As a MK3 restoration would be as unexceptional as plain porridge surely!?

I'm pretty sure most Y (and 51 plate) Mk2s were V6 models flogged off cheap to the police.

There was a ‘51 plate Mk2 saloon in the mid Wales village my parents used to live in - was owned by the local farmers’ feed merchants. Looked like a LX but had Ghia alloys so probably a ‘chuck all the bits on’ end of the line special. 

As, in the 2000s, there were quite a few Y reg Mk3s about , it seemed a good example of late registration MADNESS. It can’t have been a V6 though, must have been a diesel as that’s the law in mid-Wales. 

Edit - exactly the same spec as Sierraman’s silver Y plate above - black door handle sets but rather nice alloy wheels, I assume they had 10,000 sets of these wheels at Genk so just chucked them on all the last ones. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

must have been a diesel as that’s the law in mid-Wales. 

Oh come on - I've had at least one petrol vehicle in the past decade and a half?
Mind you that did also have LPG - folks around here do like running their stuff on heating or cooking  fluid :-) 

On the LX - I had a 'M' plate 1.8 diesel one when it was about 2-3 years old and that had manual front windows, plastic wheel trims and very pale coloured beige seats - other than that it was quite unmemorable and I traded it in against a 1989 Range Rover which was much more fun*

Mine was a green one (which suggests an ex-fleet car??) - could fleet buyers add/deleted options so Nabisco reps got front electric windows whilst Penguin Books guys got manual winders?

On 3/10/2023 at 7:39 PM, AnthonyG said:

there were quite a few Y reg Mk3s about 

I had one. Bought at 8 years old for £500 as a guy I knew was leaving the country in a furious hurry and it had a broken coil and needed four tyres. 

TBH it wasn’t a good one, but I didn’t look or feel like a pauper for once. Sold to run a far worse Almera Automatic! 

228AD14D-EF7C-4A27-8605-23C7FB30A63D.jpeg

C0A053E1-7D0B-4111-A17D-FEAD36A31D7E.jpeg

31 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I had one. Bought at 8 years old for £500 as a guy I knew was leaving the country in a furious hurry and it had a broken coil and needed four tyres. 

TBH it wasn’t a good one, but I didn’t look or feel like a pauper for once. Sold to run a far worse Almera Automatic! 

228AD14D-EF7C-4A27-8605-23C7FB30A63D.jpeg

C0A053E1-7D0B-4111-A17D-FEAD36A31D7E.jpeg

Body coloured door handles, door trim and fog lamp surrounds.. and alloys for added effect. Posh for a MK3 Mondeo :)

20 minutes ago, egg said:

wot's happened to the exhaust?

Certain Mark Ones with bigger engines had a truly freakish exhaust arrangement with two silencer boxes at the rear of the car.  The exhaust pipe fed the one on the nearside, which was connected to the one on the offside by means of a transverse link pipe.  The offside silencer box then fed the tailpipe, which allowed exit of the exhaust gases.  

I had trouble with the exhaust on my old Mondeo, so got to see underneath once!  Said arrangement was in place under there.  God knows why, it must be one of the oddest exhaust pipe designs fitted to a production car.  

The car in the photo has a broken exhaust hanger, which is allowing the flow reverse and silencer feed box to hang beneath the bumper.  

54 minutes ago, egg said:

thanks! a new one I don't have. It's been a while...unless it's K31 TAG, back on it's original plate @LightBulbFunwould it be possible to check please?

27 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

indeed it is, although, K31TAG was its original plate, which it was sadly robbed of, and the vehicle was given the age related plated K471BWL 

16 minutes ago, egg said:

thanks for checking, here's how it used to be.

k31TAG.thumb.JPG.1ebb202c36dd539d885da8b83654d2a0.JPG

dragging this back over to my thread here because well, fittingly enough for Page 62! I did a bit of good old DVLA block bashing and it looks like from the very start of K-TAG reg series issue, K21TAG, to and including K62TAG are all Mk1 Mondeo's large blocks all the same colour too, wondering if fleet order (K1TAG-K20TAG where withheld for DVLA special issue)

there are few moderns in said block so I wonder if any of other K-TAG Mondeo's survive under age related plates? another couple of note is K35TAG which is showing as Exported on the DVLA 1st party checker, but none of my 3rd party tools, however on those does show a passed VIC check go figure!

1434435750_Screenshot2023-03-17at17_52_40.thumb.png.9de7735ca9786443b1706c2444e87161.png

and then K62TAG, the last of this block of Mondeo's is showing as SORN and im inclined to think tis a genuine SORN, given the 2011 issue V5, question is does the car still survive in a lockup somewhere, or just SORNed after meeting its fate round the oval? hopefully the former!

1188290753_Screenshot2023-03-17at18_10_01.thumb.png.9d16b9f95bbe6ab1d213567f06231361.png

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

question is does the car still survive in a lockup somewhere, or just SORNed after meeting its fate round the oval?

that's the trouble with Mondeos, you never know if it actually exists - there's a few on my list like that. Looks like K62 TAG had done 120,000 miles at last MOT, so may not be in the best of condition.