'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

Greengartside offered to look out some bits at his local breakers where there were some Mondeo Mk1s. Resulted in this little haul of useful odds and ends. People are so helpful on this forum! 

Top work from GG, and helpful bits to keep the project moving onwards.

Still working on the blower motor - these seem to be a common problem.

mondparts_zps8uw4k5g9.jpg

Nice day for tinkering.

Just did some cleaning and hoovering today, found that the rear ashtray was full of syrup from melted barley sugars, natch (packaging also wedged in). Removing it snapped a bit of the tray off - everything is a tad brittle in this car!

A common Mk1 problem is the rear exterior door handles get stuck in the outward position, mainly due to lack of use. Had used WD40 to no effect, until I remembered that it isn't the best lubricant. Some Halfrauds silicone lube purchased - sprayed on inside and outside of handle, and also didn't seem to do anything, but today the handle sprung back perfectly and is working again.

I'm digging out a lot of 'new old stock' for the car - and the latest was the heater resistor (£10 delivered). Pic of new and old compared attached. New clearly looks more up to the job.

post-20084-0-26374600-1458499497_thumb.jpg

Went for £701 in the end. Strong Mondeo money - but not ridiculous. A bloke on the Mk1 Mondeo register (facebook) got it.

I've now seen the car on Facebook as it has been collected. New owner reports no issues other than the front bumper could be a bit tidier and needs a clean. Still lives in Yorkshire.

I've also identified a Mondeo earlier than mine (built March 93). There's a 1.8 lx also in Rimini blue out there built 25/01/93, and went on the road in March 93.

Greengartside's parts should arrive tomorrow, and a blower motor from a mk2 that apparently is the same as the Mk1 should follow from a scrappy. A bit newer obviously, so hopefully things might be back together by end of the weekend.

Minor things achieved this weekend. Replaced the dodgy giffer-glued window winder and swapped the indicator light (both from greengartside). 

post-20084-0-84522800-1459195710_thumb.jpg

Really cheesed off with myself though, as winding drivers door window up and down has led to scratches on the window. I knew the weatherstrips (on the outside base of the window) needed replacing, but I thought they merely leaked not scratched  :twisted: . Each weatherstrip is £20 a pop too  :shock: . Another £80 I'll need to spend!

Total costs of this project are mounting. I'm really praying there is no undiscovered rot on the floorpan. I know about bits on the sills and wheelarches, but hope that is the worst of it. Fingers crossed eh?

No blower motor yet - Easter deliveries backing up I expect.

Once the heater system is restored (just in time for spring ha ha) the remaining jobs list still looks like this....

Change Power Steering Fluid

Cambelt and tensioners

Water Pump

airbag control unit

repair chip in windscreen

Front anti-roll bar bushes

Rocker cover gasket

Blowing exhaust (suspect down pipe, need a look underneath)

Treat rust spots

Get the wheels from Bub

Replace aforementioned weatherstrips

Floor mats

touch up paint kit

New OEM headlight bulbs

rubber seal for scuttle panel needs replacing

Oil and filter 

At that my friends is how a 200 quid motor becomes a £1000 pound project!!

Value at the end of work = £500  :-)  :-)  :-) 

The replacement blower motor arrived today. It doesn't spin any more freely than my existing one as this video shows...so do I just fit it and hope for the best or get another one!?

That looks like the magnets in the motor resisting the spinning and causing it to slow down and stop.

I'd say both of those motors are probably fine but you can't really test them like that - put them on a battery and see which spins fastest or is quietest and use that.

I was passing* a breakers in Sittingbourne today, so couldn't resist dropping in (in my work clobber with laptop bag  :oops: ), he had a couple of Mk2's so another blower motor was liberated for £20 (that's what comes of wearing a clean shirt to a breakers). One of them must be right.

The Mk2's had been there a while, not much else of interest on them because they were both very dirty - all the rubber bits I might have wanted were gone or useless.

There's a ZX saloon in the same yard, but didn't spot any other interesting shite, but then I didn't go all round the site looking for rarities I was just in the Ford/Vauxhall section. I'll do some photos next time i go.

One of the window weatherstrips was available on ebay @ £18.43. Of course the one that least needed replacing, but it arrived today and on it went. Very little visual difference, but the new rubber is a lot more flexible which allows the window to move up and down more smoothly....

Before

post-20084-0-19783300-1459449896_thumb.jpg

During

post-20084-0-12976300-1459449893_thumb.jpg

After

post-20084-0-04012200-1459449890_thumb.jpg

Thanks Omegod.

This arrived today - £14 a 'new' airbag control unit, to solve* the airbag light flashing. Popped it on, and.....no luck. It goes from a continuous flash with the old one to a very short single flash with this one. The car rejects it out of hand like a replacement kidney! Of course, that means I've learnt nothing - as can't be sure what is still failing. But that cheap(ish) fix route is now more or less closed. Got a 93 unit as well, same year as mine! 

I've got a feeling that this sort of problem will end up killing quite a lot of more modern cars, as the cost of solving complex safety kit outweighs the value of the car.

post-20084-0-04063200-1459611546_thumb.jpg