'93 Mondy thread - K reg base 4 sale (not mine)

egg

On 6/4/2020 at 9:03 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

Those weirdly expensive travel sweets that come in a round tin, a dangly earth strap, FoMoCo branded mudflaps, a sunfaded National Trust sticker and an AA atlas from 1985 for a full house.

Does a Feu Orange air freshener fall into this category?

Good old Ford like to design in a few faults on every car, part of the joy!

I love my Mondeo, obvs....but to think of some of the inherent problems....

• Water ingress in several areas (during normal lifetime of car)
  • Eats front lower suspension arms
  • This windscreen issue
  • Airbag failures
  • Central locking/alarm problems
  • Sudden starter motor failure
  • Several different issues with poor idling
  • the infamous pull to the left
  • various Zetec cooling system failures
  • Sticky doors and door handles
  • Heater resistor failures
  • Cracked exhaust manifolds
  • Difficult clutch change process
  • Screenwash leaks
  • Rusty door seals
  • PAS pipes that rust out over time on low pressure side
  • Fragile bumpers
  • Poorly designed headlights leading to yellowing of lens

to name a few. I sound like Honest John.

I expect a Carina E would have a shorter list, even at this age.

2 hours ago, egg said:

This is currently up for auction on ebay original press pack. Just the sort of junk I'd usually buy - but already £21!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-Mk-1-Sales-Launch-Portfolio-Folder-Genuine-Ford-Press-Pack-Photos/333626500624?hash=item4dadb06610:g:6L8AAOSwq~5e57tv

s-l1600.jpg

I volunteer to archive the contents of that 5 1/4" floppy disc...

...Which I think dates this press pack way more than anything else!

I don’t know they were fairly durable cars in their day, they’d easily do 150-200k, the clutch was expensive but no more expensive than similar later twin cam Vectras. Rot kills nearly all of them off now or a big job like a clutch. The cooling system was rarely a problem apart from the earlier coolant pipe at the back would rust or the thermostat housing would leak but again this is after several years.

Ive had loads of them but the older ones are starting to fall into the ‘emerging classic car’ bullshit with people charging like wounded rhinos for old rubbish on eBay which sort of ruins it a bit in my eyes. I had a browse on the Mk1 Mk2 Faceache page a while back, it was full of nobheads going ‘Ow much is my 1999 Verona 1.8 worf m8?’. About £80 down at the weigh bridge...

38 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I volunteer to archive the contents of that 5 1/4" floppy disc...

...Which I think dates this press pack way more than anything else!

Yeah!

I mean I still think of the Mondeo as a modern car

but then I saw the 5.25 inch floppy and think bloody hell how old is it?!

tbf 1993 is I think pretty late in the day for 5.25 inch floppies

The ideal accessory for the high ranking business rep to carry around in his shiny new Mondeo in 1993?

IMG_20200603_204941.thumb.jpg.89668b93ffe0d2f9118d9403055ea865.jpg

Doesn't surprise me massively to see a 5 1/4" in this sort of case.  Press organisations are one of those places that legacy hardware tended to hold on for quite a long while especially back then.  It was old by then, but not quite extinct.

Windscreen change in progress. I had to drive it round to a local car park so he can set up a canopy - as it's raining here. Of course, no wipers - as already removed yesterday!

I couldn't get him to remove the piano key bits, but he did agree to one thing - these little bits of rubber should not be there (highlighted) they are increasing the pressure on the screen, so he won't put them back on...so a compromise of sorts.

rubber.jpg.d03333ea296f0c02421d9f04fe115b22.jpg

New screen done. 

Warned that the interior rear view mirror might fall off because the pads they use are crap. This happened last time it was changed. I have a couple of double sided pads in stock should it happen.

The cowling/grilles have just been laid back in place, but are hardly attached on the top end - he's covered the 'expanding' screws in some gunk, which isn't great - I hope they are underneath and he hasn't taken them with him.

IMG_20200618_103048.thumb.jpg.f9c5234dcae9682b635e5b3d60c137e0.jpg

One of the side trims isn't completely flush now - I think it's just warped - I do have a spare in the loft should I be brave enough to change it. That'll probably leak.

IMG_20200618_103033.thumb.jpg.9851dadeb9ca747bda007d14e09ef5bc.jpg

He's made a couple of minor scuffs on the interior a-pillar side trim.

So, yes, I have ordered the last known NOS driver's side scuttle panel on ebay - it's been for sale for at least 2 years, and had about 12 watchers - so yeah, I've gone for it. So when that arrives, I've got to fit it without breaking the screen again. 

I should really go for the passenger side of a MK2 as they have a covered grille and protect the pollen filter better.

s-l1600.jpg

------------------------------

If you put a grand down, you can have a Sandero comfort (the one with air-con) for £123 a month for 4 years on the drip. So really all of the last 37 pages are pure madness ??

22 minutes ago, egg said:

New screen done. 

Warned that the interior rear view mirror might fall off because the pads they use are crap. This happened last time it was changed. I have a couple of double sided pads in stock should it happen.

The cowling/grilles have just been laid back in place, but are hardly attached on the top end - he's covered the 'expanding' screws in some gunk, which isn't great - I hope they are underneath and he hasn't taken them with him.

IMG_20200618_103048.thumb.jpg.f9c5234dcae9682b635e5b3d60c137e0.jpg

One of the side trims isn't completely flush now - I think it's just warped - I do have a spare in the loft should I be brave enough to change it. That'll probably leak.

IMG_20200618_103033.thumb.jpg.9851dadeb9ca747bda007d14e09ef5bc.jpg

He's made a couple of minor scuffs on the interior a-pillar side trim.

So, yes, I have ordered the last known NOS driver's side scuttle panel on ebay - it's been for sale for at least 2 years, and had about 12 watchers - so yeah, I've gone for it. So when that arrives, I've got to fit it without breaking the screen again. 

I should really go for the passenger side of a MK2 as they have a covered grille and protect the pollen filter better.

s-l1600.jpg

------------------------------

If you put a grand down, you can have a Sandero comfort (the one with air-con) for £123 a month for 4 years on the drip. So really all of the last 37 pages are pure madness ??

Sandero is meh though, bASe Mondeo more fun. 

56 minutes ago, greengartside said:

@egg There is the Mk2 that’s come in for breaking if you want me to rob it of the wiper scuttle?

@greengartside - yes please - they are the same aren't they in terms of size as the MK1? Think so.

36 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Based on my experiences that windscreen side trim is going to make a godawful racket at speed - probably seeming even worse on account of how quiet a cruiser a Mondeo is.  Assuming it's plastic, could some gentle heat help get rid of the bend?

I've changed my view - I think it is mounted slightly too low, and although he's managed to get most of the clips in flush, the top one hasn't played ball. I could call him back about it, I'll see.

17 minutes ago, egg said:

@greengartside - yes please - they are the same aren't they in terms of size as the MK1? Think so.

I've changed my view - I think it is mounted slightly too low, and although he's managed to get most of the clips in flush, the top one hasn't played ball. I could call him back about it, I'll see.

If you can find out if they are an exact fit then I’ll pop by at the weekend and grab it if you’d like?

Thanks, I've asked the Facebook group - or I'm sure someone here will know.

That side strip is definitely mounted too low. It will need removing and re-mounting. Question is do I do it or get them back? I need the new cowling first, there is no point in fitting that old one again.

Ugh. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

That side strip is definitely mounted too low. It will need removing and re-mounting. Question is do I do it or get them back? I need the new cowling first, there is no point in fitting that old one again.

Ugh. 

I'd get them back as  if somehow the 'screen broke whilst buggering about they'd have to sort it. If you do it and it breaks it's a world of pain and another bill !

1 hour ago, egg said:

That side strip is definitely mounted too low. It will need removing and re-mounting. Question is do I do it or get them back?

Get them back definitely.  He hasn't done the job properly.  Otherwise if you end up doing the second screen in you'll be punching yourself in the head!

2 hours ago, egg said:

Ugh. 

Absolutely get them back.  They've not done the job they've been paid for properly.

I wish I'd spotted it while he was still with me, he wanted to hot foot it off as soon as I walked back to the car park. He had left some tape residue on the screen which I got him to remove, but I didn't spot this.

I expect they work under a lot of time pressure like every other job these days, in his defence. 

I think the best strategy to raise the complaint, but wait for a booking until the new cowling is here - so that can be fitted at the same time - otherwise, I'll still have to take it all apart again and risk the same breakage issue at a later point.

It's all become a bit of a saga really. 

Oh, and I think there is a little bit of distortion in it too. I hope I'm imagining that. 

Trouble is in lockdown - too much time to fret over all this crap.

Right. I've taken matters into my own hands. If this now goes wrong they'll get in the neck.

I took the side strip off, not impressed at all that he couldn't give it a wipe for 20 seconds to get the dirt off under there. 

IMG_20200618_170516.thumb.jpg.0628a4b22891b46a27767f30d2f6ba5b.jpg

I couldn't get it back on either quite right. So I went to the loft for a spare - dated 12/95 that I got from Stu's mate a while back.

And it's ok. I've managed to get it on better than the pro. Not perfect, but it doesn't lift off the screen now.

IMG_20200618_173213.thumb.jpg.4c9ed32539112af9cccb7e795161590c.jpg

IMG_20200618_173202.thumb.jpg.11f72e216f635f3cfaf07207bd878152.jpg

This one has some marks on it, but I'll tidy them up somehow.

Oh, and the interior mirror has fallen off just as predicted!  I have a 3M pad somewhere...

Just one more thing - the screen itself is made by 'shatterprufe' - apparently a South African firm.

Oh, and they didn't give him a new top seal - so he had to re-use the old one...

What company was it?  Just so we know never to use them.  I'm hazarding a guess it was Autoglass, as I remember them mucking @Skizzer about with his Audi screen i.e. they never turned up.

Can't fault the name of that screen manufacturer.  Phonetic innit!

7 hours ago, RobT said:

What company was it?  Just so we know never to use them.  I'm hazarding a guess it was Autoglass, as I remember them mucking @Skizzer about with his Audi screen i.e. they never turned up.

This is true, although when I’ve used Autoglass before they did a good job of the actual fitting.

RAC Auto Windscreens made a right mess on my Cayman though, like this.

Has it leaked yet? Get the fuckers back.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, Yoss said:

I'd say six of one, half a dozen of the other and 2x3 of another as well. Surely Ford must take some of the blame for letting that get past the design stage. Admittedly precisely 0% of my fleet has bonded windscreens but I'm sure it wasn't entirely new technology in 1993 (though I may have to look in to that). 

indeed Austin Rover were boning windscreens into Maestros in 1982 without that type of breakages

16 hours ago, egg said:

Oh, and the interior mirror has fallen off just as predicted!  I have a 3M pad somewhere...

advice given to me by my mate's dad* (who i actually bought car from) when he gave me a dipping mirror to replace fixed one- heat the pads up with a hair dryer untill you see the backing paper change texture

*he worked for AR