Jump to content

'93 Mondy thread - a K reg estate *exists*


egg

Recommended Posts

The Nouveau Red GLX saloon was a 2.0 manual with an engine number starting with RS (according to FreeCarCheck), so it may have the early close-ratio gearbox. It's an August 1993 car too, but when was it actually BUILT? (Let's not forget, an August-registered L reg Mondeo could have been on Ford dealers' displays and showrooms for months before getting its number plates.) Sadly, though, this car is also not showing on DVLA anymore so it was scrapped very recently.😢

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MantaGTE85 said:

The Nouveau Red GLX saloon was a 2.0 manual with an engine number starting with RS (according to FreeCarCheck), so it may have the early close-ratio gearbox. It's an August 1993 car too, but when was it actually BUILT? (Let's not forget, an August-registered L reg Mondeo could have been on Ford dealers' displays and showrooms for months before getting its number plates.) Sadly, though, this car is also not showing on DVLA anymore so it was scrapped very recently.😢

The close ratio box was fitted to French and some other European markets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, sierraman said:

The close ratio box was fitted to French and some other European markets. 

UK Si?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/06/2024 at 20:45, egg said:

image.jpeg.18630a5386f6805a44ae6eadb375b59e.jpeg

One data error unless a special 1998c!

Were there two 2.0 petrol engines or is one petrol and one diesel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Were there two 2.0 petrol engines or is one petrol and one diesel?

No, only one diesel - the 1.8 TD

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

No, only one diesel - the 1.8 TD

So what are the two 2.0 motors (1988cc and 1998cc)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Peter C said:

So what are the two 2.0 motors (1988cc and 1998cc)?

2.0 petrol. They only ever did the 1.8 TD in the Mk1/2. It could be a Y plate 2.0 TDDI in a Mk3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sierraman said:

2.0 petrol. They only ever did the 1.8 TD in the Mk1/2. It could be a Y plate 2.0 TDDI in a Mk3. 

All that's data is exclusively k reg plates though. I'd vote dvla error. 

Or it's had a swap and been properly registered? 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

All that's data is exclusively k reg plates though. I'd vote dvla error. 

me too, it's K51 VDD - and it hasn't had an MOT in 3,655 days, as pictured here!

FORD MONDEO K51 VDD

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, egg said:

me too, it's K51 VDD - and it hasn't had an MOT in 3,655 days, as pictured here!

FORD MONDEO K51 VDD

 

0cc 😢

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/06/2024 at 18:29, egg said:

me too, it's K51 VDD - and it hasn't had an MOT in 3,655 days, as pictured here!

FORD MONDEO K51 VDD

 

Cayman Blue Mondeo GLX's are nice looking cars. Auto Trader Car Check has become a bit shit in recent times. It keeps saying 'make: unknown, model: unknown, colour: unknown' whenever I attempt to look up any car that's been laid up for more than 5 years. Anyway, FreeCarCheck says this is a 2.0 GLX with the PM engine code, new on 16th April 1993. I can't tell if it's a saloon or hatch, but would have a red reflective rear panel if it's a GLX saloon. Isn't this trim level supposed to have front foglights, or were they just options?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a 4dr according to Opie Oils.

If you know most of the VIN then it’s easy to find out.

WF0F - 4dr

WF0N - 5dr Hatch

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/06/2024 at 22:40, Datsuncog said:

Free the Genk One.

Tony Blair is starting a campaign now 🤣🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just spent 20 mins cleaning up an old used GLX trim I had lying about, so now it can go in the loft rather than the leaky shed. Some minor damage, but still usable at some point. Wonder who designed this work of art*?

DSCF0941.JPG.97324d4a9994019c31ebfee9d8202244.JPGDSCF0940.JPG.3a0f0b15744ff815e68d763408c86c7a.JPG

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/06/2024 at 15:34, egg said:

Just spent 20 mins cleaning up an old used GLX trim I had lying about, so now it can go in the loft rather than the leaky shed. Some minor damage, but still usable at some point. Wonder who designed this work of art*?

DSCF0941.JPG.97324d4a9994019c31ebfee9d8202244.JPGDSCF0940.JPG.3a0f0b15744ff815e68d763408c86c7a.JPG

See also Mk4 Fiesta Si.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always thought they looked a bit odd with the smooth bumpers. Nowadays, the front and rear valances would be rotting away unseen. They were available in some nice colours though. The first Si also came with good engines. I may be wrong, but wasn't the Si the first Fiesta to get power steering?

The last post has, just-this-minute, reminded me of my neighbours who once bought, brand new, a sad-face 1997 Melina Blue Fiesta 'Chicane'. They didn't have it long. It looked to be based on the Si with its rear roof spoiler, white dials and front fogs. What it did have though was the plainer 14-inch nine-hole Mondeo 'LX' wheel trims that shattered very easily from memory.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another L reg, pic was from 2021, its still taxed and MOT'd too, pic was taken somewhere in SW London, can't remember where!

51161754743_97aa08ee45_c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The second Sierra that I’ve owned, back in the 90s, a 2.0GL estate, came with series 2 Escort RS Turbo alloys, which looked bloody awful.

I removed and sold the alloys and fitted steel Sierra rims with Mondeo GLX trims, which were donated by a friend.

They looked slightly better but still not right.

IMG_3481.jpeg.2754ebc76da8ada1b0e395c3313bb5e3.jpeg

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, neil72 said:

Here's another L reg, pic was from 2021, its still taxed and MOT'd too, pic was taken somewhere in SW London, can't remember where!

51161754743_97aa08ee45_c.jpg

This Isis Blue 1.8 LX would polish up lovely. It looks standard, undamaged and well-loved. I can't make out the number plate logo (Evans Halshaw?) but it is definitely an original number plate which is a bonus. There is nothing serious on the MOT history either and its taken the last 5 years to do 1000 miles. It's now on 71000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in Thanet yesterday, and they tend to have slightly older taxis out there (also a bit cheaper - Taxi Margate to Herne Bay is always cheaper than the other way round) but quite surprised to see a MK3 Mondeo on an 07 plate still plying its trade!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, egg said:

I was in Thanet yesterday, and they tend to have slightly older taxis out there (also a bit cheaper - Taxi Margate to Herne Bay is always cheaper than the other way round) but quite surprised to see a MK3 Mondeo on an 07 plate still plying its trade!

The coil light no doubt flashing away like they all did! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, looks like 814RLO and 841RLO both lasted less than a decade, maybe they went cabbing!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blimey, why does LYA keep coming up for sale? Does nobody want to keep it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...