'93 Mondy thread - MOT pass

egg

On 8/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, egg said:

A new one on me, the Ford dealer master key from this era.

366701803_966640201114021_5015586106512012583_n.thumb.jpg.274f89beaf47926e7af4b649462ee8fa.jpg

(although we all know about Ford keys of this era...)

Ah that takes me back! I remember when I was working as a Saturday boy at the local Ford garage in the ‘90s the MD showed me how he used to use this device to get the key numbers for customers. Seriously cool bit of kit.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, greengartside said:

Ah that takes me back! I remember when I was working as a Saturday boy at the local Ford garage in the ‘90s the MD showed me how he used to use this device to get the key numbers for customers. Seriously cool bit of kit.

You can ‘read’ them by looking at the key but invariably the brass Tibbe key was that worn literally anything would open it. Back in the day you could buy the rebuild kits from Ford, there were a number of funny shaped tumblers, all numbered to effectively build your own key up. Was fiddly as fuck to be honest so most people just got another barrel from the breakers and ended up with a ‘jailers ring’. I had a fiesta once and had to give the folks at the airport meet and greet, a talk through which key operated what 😂

• Haha 4

Mechanic said it was a bit of a fight, but new n/s/r wheel cylinder fitted as above, brakes apparently otherwise in good condition, so no shoe contamination. Cylinder was seized solid apparently! Probably the original one.  Pleased with the result.

• egg changed the title to '93 Mondy thread - Brakes sorted
  • egg changed the title to '93 Mondy thread - Japanese market highlights
On 8/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, sierraman said:

You can ‘read’ them by looking at the key but invariably the brass Tibbe key was that worn literally anything would open it. Back in the day you could buy the rebuild kits from Ford, there were a number of funny shaped tumblers, all numbered to effectively build your own key up. Was fiddly as fuck to be honest so most people just got another barrel from the breakers and ended up with a ‘jailers ring’. I had a fiesta once and had to give the folks at the airport meet and greet, a talk through which key operated what 😂

You’ve reminded me I’ve still got a bloody rebuild kit somewhere, and I haven’t owned a tibbe Ford for years!

On 8/23/2023 at 2:02 PM, JakeT said:

You’ve reminded me I’ve still got a bloody rebuild kit somewhere, and I haven’t owned a tibbe Ford for years!

I used to build them for the parts dept in my spare time. You can read them by eye...

1 minute ago, trigger said:

Registered the 4th March 1993, 2 weeks before they official got sold!

thanks yep, it's on my list that one, been for sale for quite some time! Only 7 older ones I know of.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 5:58 AM, egg said:

Car Magazine thought the Rover 600 beat the Mondeo....

image.thumb.jpeg.5c1db59af42ec9780bbbcafee2080e1d.jpeg

On 8/24/2023 at 5:58 AM, egg said:

Car Magazine thought the Rover 600 beat the Mondeo....

image.thumb.jpeg.5c1db59af42ec9780bbbcafee2080e1d.jpeg

Did anyone else buy the issue of CAR with the Mondeo VHS promo given away with it? Beauty With Inner Strength I think it was titled.

12 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Did anyone else buy the issue of CAR with the Mondeo VHS promo given away with it? Beauty With Inner Strength I think it was titled.

I think I may have a copy of that video somewhere. Came with my Mondeo. Bloke I sold the car to wasn’t interested in any of the tat I’d collected. 

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Not sure about the magazine but my Dad had the Mondeo video posted to him with a hand written note:

"Dear Derek

This is as close as you're going to get to a new company car. 

Regards

Fleet Manager" 

Times were tough at WHS Distributors in the mid 90s.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:52 PM, warren t claim said:

Fairly sure it was WhatCar? that sellotaped the video to each copy. 

Car was still fairly independent minded in the early 90s and I doubt someone like Gavin Green would have allowed such a blatant plug, even if the car was a good design, and he was being lent on by the publishers. 

Nowadays they might as well give away some Porsche owners club tat with each issue, it’s complete rubbish now, Autocar is more objective and that’s a pretty low bar. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Fairly sure it was WhatCar? that sellotaped the video to each copy. 

Car was still fairly independent minded in the early 90s and I doubt someone like Gavin Green would have allowed such a blatant plug, even if the car was a good design, and he was being lent on by the publishers. 

Nowadays they might as well give away some Porsche owners club tat with each issue, it’s complete rubbish now, Autocar is more objective and that’s a pretty low bar. 

Setright wrote a free Vauxhall ad supplement called Leaders Of The Pack back in 1991.

Did he manage to compare the Voxhuls to the Bristol Eccentric Bearded Motorist and find in Tony Crook's favour?

• Haha 1

Hey @egg, do you have K388 HAR on your list? A Mk1 Mondeo appeared on the driveway of a house near me recently, it was only yesterday that I drove past and its K-reg jumped out at me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Hey @egg, do you have K388 HAR on your list? A Mk1 Mondeo appeared on the driveway of a house near me recently, it was only yesterday that I drove past and its K-reg jumped out at me.

Woah, interesting another possible HAR survivor? No MOT since 2008, we already have 4 other other HAR's. Amazing survival rate.

389, 546 ( @Slowsilver) ,584 , 631 ( @KWhite)

If you could possibly get a pic that would be great please!

• Like 3

New data! Thanks to @greengartsideI now have a comprehensive list of the number plates for (almost) all K reg cars! Some caveats with the data

- If a car is showing no MOT, no tax (but not SORN) the car might not be listed - so sadly the base K440 LYA is in that state, but does still exist as far as we know

- this only picks up K reg Mondeos - so no NI plated cars like YHZ 5208 or private plate Mar-Jul93 cars like J13 JOK.

Still, the exciting thing is I have double the number of number plates currently on my own list, so this is very useful.

Summary below split by trim level

image.jpeg.e236ae7d981c22c73f4971d7c6ccc994.jpeg

When I did the DVLA FoI request in May 2022 - there were just about 200 left, so as we've probably lost a few since then, and there's a few missing from this new list as mentioned above, the numbers check out as reasonable.

I think this pretty much confirms there are 12 K-reg base models left, including mine and K440 LYA. Only 3 (three!) have an MOT.

• egg changed the title to '93 Mondy thread - New data on K reg cars
On 9/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, egg said:

Pre-prod Sierra Mondeo on a J plate...

image.thumb.jpeg.adbcecd08173bd75c42b2b747ea79729.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.09436e701ee703d01d32d260c39bcab7.jpeg

J632 BVW - Registered 12.6.1992 - last V5 change 17.6.1992 - last taxed 30.11.1992.

Last five digits of VIN were 99693

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1