Kenneth_Mc_Testes' ROVER 45 V6 JATCO JUS KICKED IN Y0

Mr_Bo11ox

Had a mega session on this yesterday. Fitted a new door handle (in a slightly different shade of blue for max shite points), fixed the drivers window (the mechanism had just come unbolted from the door) and chucked on a new centre box, curing all the exhaust blows at a stroke. Driving down to Oxford tonight - can't wait!!! I love driving it.

Driving down to Oxford tonight - can't wait!!! I love driving it.

K-Series, Nice and cool in the evening. I had occasion to 'half M25 it' yesterday afternoon in the mega heat with a K Series. Heater to hot in the traffic jam, blower on 4, windows open, not taking chances it was me who did the headgasket. On the hard shoulder were the usual suspects, air cooled VW, the odd Renner and Foxhall and spotted on the other side shoulder an IDENTICAL K-Series engined motor as mine. Temp remained stable, although it got a bit warm in the cabin.

Guest Lord Sward

Yo sward!!!! Did you say you had a couple of ABS rings for one of these heaps? I need to replace mine I think.

Yeah.  And you bloody drive past me last week.

• 3 weeks later...

Still smokin round in this old knacker, needless to say I'm lovin' it

Sorted out most of the snags on it now, got a mirror off eBay for £9 delivered!!! It was the wrong colour but the coloured bit just clips off so I swapped that over. Also sorted the ABS rings yesterday, both front ones were broken:

P1080283.jpg

P1080284.jpg

P1080285.jpg

Some donkey had tried to effect some sort of pointless repair by putting a few blobs on this broken ring with the mig. But the rings themselves are made of flippin monkey metal and don't weld too well. You can break em with your hands!

P1080286.jpg

cleaned it all up and tapped the new rings on, took about 2 hours to do both sides. Forgot to take any more pics after this!!!

P1080299.jpg

Anyway thats solved the problem, no more clicking and clattering from the ABS and it pulls up smoothly with no kicking back, perfect. Its almost fault-free now, heater fan fixed with a new resistor, drivers window winder mechanism fixed (had just fallen apart inside the door), new centre box on, etc etc.

One thing with this car is that you are always filling it up with petrol, it only costs £48 to fill it up from empty and in normal use i seem to be getting about 30mpg so thats about 290-300 miles from a tank!!! The Volvo could get 450 miles no problem and the red Gooner did a lot more than that too.

This week if we get a few nice evenings I think i am going to try and go over it with the mop to brighten it up a bit. I thiink it's had a silver coach stripe down the sides at some point, someone has cleaned it off rather brutally so hopefully i can polish off its remains and I might try putting a new one on - would that be a Rover addition or something from a keen previous old boy owner? Anyone know?

• 1 year later...

Just organised to have this brought down to the house so I can start getting it back on the road. Exciting times! It's been sat about doing nowt for over a year, I hope I don't have to bust out the welder on it. Anyway it's getting delivered on Thursday (£60 for 70 miles - megabarg!!!)

So this landed at my house on Thursday night!!!!

Its just been sat doing nowt for over a year so lets have a look.

ME3Q9Sm.jpg

w2GVqrF.jpg

qO8c0SG.jpg

Hmm, a bit mossy but it seemed to start up and drive about OK with a jump lead on it.

Saturday morning I chucked £60 at a new battery:

fOP0khG.jpg

That got it starting right up on the button, lovely job. One of the annoying side-effects of having all these cars sat about is the number of batteries that get ruined, its very wasteful.

Next job - some TWAT had put silly anodised aluminium barry valve caps on. I wanted to pump the tyres up but the flippin things were seized solid!!!I couldnt shift them at all. SO:

43ah7td.jpg

1pPF7aW.jpg

Gave them a tickle with the grinder, broke them into pieces and replaced em with some placca jobs nicked off the Sherpa!!

Chucked some new wiper blades on, checked the lights and washers etc then gave it a wash:

DTyyAel.jpg

EVD6Mw9.jpg

Now that looks more like a car that deserves an MOT right? To be fair, its in surprisingly good nick this thing despite a year's neglect. Its nearly 20 years old but theres no real rot to speak of anywhere that I can find, inner wheelarches and that all seem mint. I might even roll the barrel right out this summer and attempt to do a proper waxoyl job on it, injecting the sills and arches and that

Finally, insured it then took it for a blast up and down the road to clean the discs off properly. INow I have dropped it off for an MOT whcih is happening tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!! Mrs_Nuts needs her car tues weds and thurs so if it fails I will be cycling 25 miles round trip to work each of those days which does not appeal.