Dashboards

carlo

Some of my very favourite dashboards ..

Citroen GS, probably because I had one but even then I much preferred the earlier, English version to the French and later GSA style.

Posted Image

Toyota Celica 1980 vintage. One of the many cars which passed through my trader dad's hands; but I'll always remember the great interior and dashboard.

Posted Image

Any Facel Vega, here's an HK500:

Posted Image

Always liked the SD1 Rovers:

Posted Image

How about a Colt Sapporo for another eighties Japanese smorgas dashboard:

Posted Image

Not forgetting the ultimate, never seen one in the flesh unfortunately,

Posted Image

And finally, if I had to have a modern car, how's this for how it should be done. Must be the best incorporation of an airbag into a great looking steering wheel. Audi A6 2007:

Posted Image

I haven't got any pictures,but my favourite is the early Mk 3 Cortina GT/GXL with the 4 small dials down in the centre console 8) That Lancia Beta/Trevi is amazing :)Fiat Coupes are nice too,but the yellow ones might be a bit much after a heavy night :lol:

Ah, the Tipo digi dash. Used to love the 'economy and power' gauge on the petrol. The turbo boost on the diseasel was alaways good too.The two examples I had, and my Sister's Tempra, that had the dash all zero'd the milometers at about 125k miles. Around the 200k KM mark I think. Strange :?

Indeed! but the 'wheel is part of the dash style no?

Funnily, I'm a dashboards fanatic and if I don't like the dash, I wouldn't own the car! it's why I love the Fiat X 1/9 but wouldn't like to own one due to the disappointing dashboard :cry:

Also find this appealing in a disgustingly delicious kind of way

Posted Image

And

Posted Image

There are plenty of old American 50s/60s tanks with ace dashes

I am getting rather fond of 1980s and '90s Hondas these days so I nominate the Prelude:

Posted Image

BMW E34 five series, maybe a bit dull in the company of Citroens but it just feels so right, like a larger much better built E30 where everything is where you want it and alot nicer than most other beemers

Posted Image

Simple and effective

Posted Image

Posted Image

Worst. dash. ever.

(1) surely the first car since 1988 not to have a rev-counter?

(2) completely impossible to decipher if outside conditions exceed 'mildly sunny'

(3) miles away from the driver's field of view. Constant re-adjustment of focus to see how fast [slow] you are going = v.irritating.

BMW E34 five series, maybe a bit dull in the company of Citroens but it just feels so right, like a larger much better built E30 where everything is where you want it and alot nicer than most other beemers

Posted Image

BMW may make cars with unduly hard seats and that make 99% of other road users make 'nescafe' gestures at you for no apparent reason, but by christ do they know how to make a decent dash / driver layout.

I've had 5 E30's and an E36 and they are absolutely perfect when it comes to layout of dials, switches etc. Then add to that perfect driving position and it's easy to see the appeal. :roll:

I might be mistaken, but isnt this the MK II Fiesta povo spec dash design? I'm assuming its the poverty spec since it seems to have no space at all for a radio :)

Yes it is, the Popular model I would guess.As well as absolutely no provision for a radio, check out the number of blanking plates in the dash. The lower round one is for a cigarette lighter, and the upper one a clock I believe. You get NEITHER.

Posted Image

Worst. dash. ever.

(2) completely impossible to decipher if outside conditions exceed 'mildly sunny'

(3) miles away from the driver's field of view. Constant re-adjustment of focus to see how fast [slow] you are going = v.irritating.

This must be a close second.

Posted Image

I must confess I've never actually driven one but what possible justification could there be for putting the instruments there?

I have driven one, it's a dreadful layout. Especially the heater controls, you have to gaze down at the panel to use them, if I recall correctly there's even a menu system for them. :shock: What's so wrong with simple slider or rotary controls where just a quick glance would tell you what the settings are?I don't know if it's the same with other cars with central instrument panels, but I found it a distraction to look over at the instruments.

Posted Image

Worst. dash. ever.

Hey I've ranted on this for pretty much the same reasons, I think a car of that size and price not having a rev counter is utterly feeble, but putting it outside of the field of vision is just ludicrous.

I would also like to say that I think the switches are in stupid places too.

I haven't got any pictures,but my favourite is the early Mk 3 Cortina GT/GXL with the 4 small dials down in the centre console 8)

quote]

like this??

Posted Image

From this,

Posted Image

Quite like these myself,

Big cadilliac ('55 if Im not mistaken)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Corvette, '57 off the top of my head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

'Cuda. Just like it says on the back :wink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mid 50s' Dodge?

Posted Image

Posted Image

How about an under bonnet dash? Check the dials and readouts. Those Krazy Kustoms...

Posted Image

Posted Image

D

I haven't got any pictures,but my favourite is the early Mk 3 Cortina GT/GXL with the 4 small dials down in the centre console 8)

quote]

like this??

Posted Image

That's the one,I preferred the GT though as it didn't have the fake wood.And of course,mine would of had an Astrali leather wheel & a skull gearknob :lol:.I also remember these having a foot-operated windscreen washer which never worked properly.

Posted Image

I might be mistaken, but isnt this the MK II Fiesta povo spec dash design? I'm assuming its the poverty spec since it seems to have no space at all for a radio :)
-think you're right there. There's just something about this that appeals to me 8)

I have driven one, it's a dreadful layout. Especially the heater controls, you have to gaze down at the panel to use them, if I recall correctly there's even a menu system for them. :shock: What's so wrong with simple slider or rotary controls where just a quick glance would tell you what the settings are?I don't know if it's the same with other cars with central instrument panels, but I found it a distraction to look over at the instruments.

You've just reminded me how awful those Poo-meras are. You are quite correct- you do end up having to use a menu system for the heating. Drove me mad when I borrowed one, as well as the stupidly placed dials.

Posted Image

-think you're right there. There's just something about this that appeals to me 8)
The dash was pretty similar in the higher spec ones as well, although the glove box might have a lid. The radio would go in a centre console (I remember buying one from the Ford dealer so I could fit a radio in my Fiesta Popular back in 1984)
Yep, this is the inside of my last XR2 while I had the seating out

Posted Image

the cheaper trim levels had various consoles to house the stereo with my favourite being this type found only in the Festival limited edition of 1987, nice big storage tray and seemingly only produced so as Ford could fit the cheapskate dash but still offer optional automatic transmission :lol:

Posted Image

I wanted to fill the DIN slot with one of these but never did anything about tracking one down :)

Posted Image

Certainly wouldn't describe Fiesta dashboards as remarkable, not compared to some of the genius designs so far. How about some contemporary futureshite?

Posted Image

Or old concept cars... I'm sure this one had the steering wheel mounted at the end of a centrally-pivoted swingarm so that, on releasing a lever, it could change to be LHD or RHD as and when required!

Posted Image

On ergonomic reasons - ease of access to controls etc - I always found the Mondeo Mk1/2 dash very good. Maybe this is because I've driven so many I instinctively know where everything is. I love the little short indicator/wiper stalks which you can operate with a finger with both hands still on the wheel.An Autocar tester said that the designer of the Vectra dash should have been locked in a Mondeo for 48 hours to learn how do it properly.Another recent car dash I really liked was the Rover 75 - which put the Jaguar S & X type ones to shame. I agree on central placed instruments - that's why my father rejected an Nissan X trail out of hand, and who can blame him? Why is it a french/french inspired thing - do they not bother with knowing what speed they are going etc?I love American dashs of the 50s/60s, but many are probably quite hard to get on with. Lots of chrome and glass in a often sunny environment + reflections = no clue what you're doing! IIRC this is why matt black plastic became so popular in the 1970s for safety reasons.For their time, and compared to the rest of the plastic/fantastic competition, Triumph wood dashs in the 1300/1500/Dolomite series of cars were really nice. How a BL dealer managed to sell any Allegros if there was a Toledo/1300/1500/Dolomite in the showroom I will never know. Ford dashs of the mid/late 1970s were nice and simple, with a good quality feel. I think the later (late MK3 onwards) Cortina dash won a design council award.I nominate the Allegro dash as the worst - quality, ergonomics, everything was shit - and that's with a round wheel!P.S. There is a coffee table book devoted to dashboards, can't remember the title. It was pretty expensive for what it was.