German Classics - spot the shite

dollywobbler

I'd love to see another VW Gol.

Thats a GOL, not GOLF.

Only ever seen one in the flesh and that was over 20 years ago. IIRC, Think Polo, but stretched a bit and then add an air cooled beetle engine up front.

EDIT:

vw-gol-l-1300-1980.jpg

What a strange contraption, it looks like a mash up of Derby, Golf and Scirocco and is named like a Golf with a letter missing. Wonder what the pineapple brigade would make of it.

Yay, my copy arrived today :-)

I really like it:

• Lots of content, well written, unpretentious, good photos without trying too hard.  
  • Several cars I do/did own and also some on my bucket list.  Useful info about buying them.
  • Some interesting geeky facts I didn't know, like the Audi 100 C3 and the Opel Omega A were designed by the same person.
  • Decent mix of cars-that-have-to-be-there-to-sell-the-mag (911, mk1 Golf) and unsung heroes like the K70 and Glas Coupe.

Plus I AM ON PAGE 20!  Fame at last for the Vantman/Skizzer executive weapon.  (Even if Dollywobbler did call us 'aspiring sales reps'.)

post-4091-0-65908100-1453140443_thumb.jpg

Anyway, thumbs up from me.  I hope you can find enough different cars that it doesn't get samey after a while - a merger with the forthcoming French Classics, say, would be a very sweet thing indeed.

Thanks Mr Skizzer. It isn't on the subs list because it's not a definite series yet. I'm hoping it will be, but like Modern Classics, publishers would rather get some feedback before committing to a run. Shows how well Keith has been doing that Modern Classics seems to have made the leap to a full run.

My Potatocam is not up to such sharp pictures MR Skizz, I had to console myself with the fact that Mr Wobbler was good enough to give me two opportunities to write for this mag

Cheers again Ian - a real insight into the process, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

post-17572-0-85171500-1453341386_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-43139600-1453341390_thumb.jpg

My Potatocam is not up to such sharp pictures MR Skizz, I had to console myself with the fact that Mr Wobbler was good enough to give me two opportunities to write for this mag

Cheers again Ian - a real insight into the process, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

Just remembered why 528e looked unfamiliar, the UK E28 "e" were 525e.

I find it weird that folk will buy a 'GERMAN CARS ONLY' magazine. Its such a broad category including all sizes and shapes of cars from hopeless shite like Trabants, Mk2 Polo diesels and VW 412's all the way to 560 S-Class's and Porsche 959's via lord knows what else. if someone is broad-minded enough to be interested in all those cars why would they exclude everything non-German? It just seems a bit arbitrary. Anyway thats not a criticism or a moan just an observation about the mag market. Good luck with it Bruce_WobblAr!!!

I don't think its exclusion of non german vehicles, as much as a focus on one facet of the broader range of items they'd enjoy - e.g. I'll happily read about german cars all day long, but am also just as interested in french stuff (what with pug/cit and ren all in the fleet)

not to mention a developing facination with products of a certain Blighty brans with a reputation for impromptu tea parties on the hard shoulder..

It's an interesting question, but fans of European classics do often favour ones from a certain country. Remember, these were the days when cars felt very much from the country of origin. The Merc Fintail for Germany against the DS for France.

Certainly, I'm heavily drawn to French classics and always have been. But you'll note from my shite addiction that this is hardly an exclusive situation. Yet I've been waiting for a French classic title for a long time. The wider media just tends to overlook all but the big hitters. Chuffed that I'll actually be editing it...

Aye, looking forward to French Classics.  If you want an R16, by the way... and Dugong already has some quality photos...

Classic car types can get very tribal, in my (relatively limited) experience: every so often, for instance, war breaks out in the Mk1 Golf Owners Club between hatchback owners and cabrio owners, and it's awfully important to some Lancia people whether your car has sliding pillar suspension or not.  

That's partly why I prefer it on here, it's much more eclectic, people are interested in variety for its own sake and enthusiastic about others' obsessions even where they're different from their own.  (Except maybe Hillman fucking Hunters.) 

Ian: well done you, too.  Who'd've thunk that the 'DollyWobbles' column in 2CVGB News would lead here, eh? 

Top job, my friend.

Indeed! That must be a good 11 or even 12 years ago now? Though Keith Adams was also accepting work for AROnline - he was also massively involved in getting me started in this business.

I'd love to see another VW Gol.

Thats a GOL, not GOLF.

Only ever seen one in the flesh and that was over 20 years ago. IIRC, Think Polo, but stretched a bit and then add an air cooled beetle engine up front.

EDIT:

vw-gol-l-1300-1980.jpg

Recall seeing lots of these in Curitiba, Brazil when I was there in '99. For weeks I thought someone was going round the city nicking the letter 'f' from all of them.