My favourite threads of 2015

406V6

After regularly dropping in on this forum during 2015 and enjoying so many of the threads I thought I would pick my favourites of the year and share them here.

• SambaS's thread about resuscitating various rusty Talbot Alpines. This thread has given so much – massive amounts of welding, freeing a partly-fixed crash-damaged Alpine that languished in a shed for 30+ years, sourcing of obsolete body panels and lots of love spent on the most unloved cars that the great unwashed have never heard of and will probably worth 25p once they are completely fixed. Hat doffed to SambaS and Simcat.
  • Tales of a Breakdown Driver by Barry Cade. Fascinating to hear about moderns breaking down and fixing them (or not). Appreciate the fairly regular updates. Anyone who regularly fixes cars at the roadside gets my admiration.
  • Black weekend. not renault 20 by garbaldy. This was a fantastic collection thread that had me on the edge of my seat with excitement. What would happen next ? Would he get home ? What's hidden in the next barn ? Featured a misbehaving Benz and meeting a German ex-rally driver with an astonishing collection of old chod, mainly Opels. Brilliant stuff.

Plus honourable mentions to R9UKE and Mr Bollox whose exploits are always worth reading about. If I see a new thread from them I'll dig in straight away.

• Luke really loves his French chod especially something with a V6 and owns more cars than I've driven this decade. Great to hear the stories from a relative youngster who's a true shiter and has an amazing ability to seek out interesting (to us) cars. Just wish I had the balls, mechanical skills and space to collect all the cars that he's got.
  • I'm in awe at Mr Bollox's mechanical and sheet metal skills. Mainly fixing old Rovers and the Primera in recent times but now he's bought a Laguna things should get really interesting. One to watch in 2016. Hope you're reading this Mr Bol – Fix that Laguna and let us know how you get on

And thanks to everyone else sharing their adventures during the year (except the Renault 20 and diesel Maxi idiots). May your 2016 be full of chod.

i really enjoyed the thread about the morris wedge resto, that was ace.

also i've enjoyed the continuing adventures of Vulg, both in art and in real cars.

there are others too, roffles, colechums and bub's falling off the highways, but right now i cannot think for them

WW's adventures in roverland and Mr B putting right some kettles are worthy of a special mention in despatches.

I like ALL of it..... so much so [married/seriously engaged $hiters note] that I regularly touch the red line (on the W@ll of Death) that is to ignore..uhuhh..aye..whatever dear..similarly blindside ErrIndoors.

Phone hidden is usual endgame.

I suffer 4U all ;)

TS

The shite quote thread needs to come back more often in '16.

Always enjoy Billy's chod purchasing threads but my favourite is definitely Barry Cade's Tales of a Breakdown driver.

I also like the ebay tat thread. Impossible to know what will crop up and the quotes from listings are just too funny!

Thank you for the mention and thanks again to everyone else for the real welcome back. I'm so glad the place didn't change while a few of us were away and I am massively proud to be one of us. Always great to have people understand a bizarre fetish and with a screen name of 406V6, we were always guna get along!!

I agree on the breakdown driver thread. Always fascinating to catch tails of future chod and learning the various faults that will make them buttons for us to pick up in a decade time ;)

I'm loving the Laguna II threads. They're really helping accelerate one of my favourite cars into "Ultimate Beige Status" and as for the ONE person who is currently putting an engine into one he found in a car park - you're a chuffing hero.

Here's to another absolutely shite year.

Too many to choose from, but the Mk1 Cav and Morris wedge ones stand out for me, it's was/is compulsory reading.

Special mention to the dead Laguna thread too, from SOC. Someone going out of their way to collect an otherwise shunned/ridiculed/deeply unpopular car is exactly what this place is about IMHO.