reliant project

dcd1979

Resto? What are you doing man? Just leave it as is and write 'trotters independent trading co' on the side using a sharpie, while drunk, to make a perfect*, unique* and hilarious* repica of the OFaH one.

in all seriousness though, looks good - how bad is the chassis underneath? The brightwork looks in OK shape considering if its the first resto its had then the chrome is nearly 60 years old!

Look forward to the progress updates

It's always good to see another one being given the chance to survive and run again.  MKVs are very thin on the ground, as are the front quarter bumpers.  If you attend any ROC rallies, I may see you at one - mine's a MKVI, although the National has now moved to a busy bit of Derbyshire, so my most likely attendances will be the Notts branch rally or possibly at the SW branch.

Wow! I love the look of side valve Regals. I used to deeply desire a 3/25 but now I think I would struggle to live with the level of crudity in a 'modern' (ie, it needs an mot) package. At least a side valve looks and feels more like a 'old' car, and therefore would be much easier to forgive (this all makes sense in my head.

Anyway, please don't paint this, it looks brilliant as-is, and I look forward to seeing how it progresses (I know you're definitely gonna paint it, it's ok)

Awesome - I love these pre-angular Regals. Probably the most car-looking of all Reliant tripods - not that it needs to look like a four wheeler of course. Me and a mate messed about with a basket case (van) 40 years ago and really wish we had persevered. Look forward to seeing the progress.

My dad has just seen your posted images and started rambling on about all his Reliants,Bonds and Isetta's he's had over the years (only ever had a bike licence) and reckons his very tired side valve engined one of these he had back in the 70's was almost as slow as his now deceased diesel Aixam.

I am telling you it was hard being a kid that was100% into cars when your dad only ever owned Tamworths three wheeled offerings,play ground banter can be so cruel.

After years of inhaling fibre glass fumes these cars get under your skin so we still have a Reliant in the family.

Princess Anne had one don't you know...

2015-09-01%2019.02.29_zpsgdw2tivc.jpg

I approve of any Reliant content on here.

Did the same guy make the number plates for the Reliant and the trailer?

Haha no the that's how the reliant number plate was when purchased although apparently it needs to be re-registered so will end up with a different reg number, the trailer plate was me just being lazy and not fitted the proper plate yet

I guess I'm a resident reliant anorak so if you need any info just ask.spares availability for the side valve range is virtually kill,so don't bin anything!

There's still a lot of woodwork in these,Reliant hadn't got to the stage of complete GRP body shells yet,so plywood floor,ash framing in the doorposts,sills,doors etc.The dash,footwalls and tunnel are removable mouldings,the nose cone,roof and rear end are also separate.

I estimate no more than sound 20 exist today,with a max of 5 on the road,most were scrapped in the early 70s.

The engine is NOT an Austin 7 unit,and aside from the odd studs and bolts nothing is interchangeable.

Pretty much the only place that will have any nos bits will be castle hill garage in Norfolk.

Good luck!

This is my second mk5 I had my first 1 when I was about 17 I got all the chassis repaired which wasn't much and over hauled the engine and had started on the body work but due to circumstances beyond my control it ended up going to the grave yard in the sky 😢 I never thought I'd get chance of another until a few months ago and I was offered this 1 I just couldn't say no, I don't care how long it takes it will get finished

What a great shape. These early ones must be completely useless - at everything. Like, even slower than my car.

I would so give that a mechanical resto and leave the body as it is. It's had a long hard time getting like that!

Looking forward to following progress :)

What a great shape. These early ones must be completely useless - at everything. Like, even slower than my car.

I would so give that a mechanical resto and leave the body as it is. It's had a long hard time getting like that!

Looking forward to following progress :)

With just 17.5bhp when new, I would not argue against 'slower than your car or slower than most cars' :-D .  They will cruise at 50 to 55mph without the engine sounding too stressed (just noisy because it's half in the cab).  Maximum speed is around 62mph.  That takes courage!  My MKVI is pretty much the same mechanically as the MKV, but with careful choice of routes it can be driven safely on quieter A and B roads, as can a tractor.  I've even overtaken a tractor in mine, and it wasn't parked  :-D .  Nevertheless, I cannot explain why I like driving ancient Reliants.  

My first reliant was a Super Robin van given to me by my late Grandad, when he was too ill to drive, we both only had motorcycle licences, and I ragged that little 850 motor mercilessly like you do when in your early twenties, used to get the back wheels spinning on corners to prevent roll over, bloody good fun at legal speeds - felt like a lot quicker 8)

The amount of stuff we got in that bugger was outstanding, including a full Suzuki GT750 kettle, and nine people going to a party from the pub :shock:

Always tempted when I see anything Reliant going cheap, but it's been a few years since my last one, and there are so many more bargains out there bangernomics wise :?

Edit - bugger this was supposed to quote plasticvandan re getting a more modern Reliant and screwing it at the lights and so on :-P

A mate of mine had a Mk6 with an 848cc Rialto engine & box fitted - that went quite well apparently.

I'd prefer one with the original sidevalve setup though - as Barrett says, it'd feel like a proper old car then, and I could forgive it a lot more.  I've had a 3/25 and it was fugging horrible.