Bonnet scoops

pompei

My first car, an 850cc R5L, had one, and for a very good reason!.

The bonnet catch jammed, which was a total ballache because of the forward opening bonnet. After much thought I decided the only way I would be able to get at it would be to cut a hole in the bonnet. Serious business, then, but I worked out that if I cut through the slots which fed the heater I would be able to get a plastic scoop off a later GTL to hide the carnage I'd wrought with my trusty grinder. £3 from the scrappers, and no-one was ever any the wiser :-D

Some Peugeots and Citroens used TMICs without a bonnet scoop, albeit in a relatively low state of tune.

I can see why a 300bhp Impreza with a TMIC needs all the air it can get, and a 90bhp Peugeot can make do with a grille scoop.

The air was ducted on the underside of the bonnet from the grille at the front - next time you see one have a look at the underside of the bonnet, its quite a neat soloution to getting cool air to the intercooler

Never mind the bonnet scoops, let's hear it for the W124 turbot dizzler front wing scoop.

Uk never got the turbo w124, the wing vent was introduced at the same time as the engines became 12v which upped the power to about 90bhp or something scary like that, am guessing the vent was redundant in our cars....