Crashing and fixing Mazda RX7 FD (non-shite)

Station

• 7 months later...

ETA: Does the interior smell slightly of vanilla? I've had 3 Japanese imports before and all of them smelt slightly of vanilla, long after I'd gone through a number of my own air fresheners. Never worked out why - just presume all Japanese people smell of a 99.

Haha, it really does smell vanilla-esque, no joke!

I welded a new panel from a salvage RX7, I had to flatten out the dents on that one, and then clench my buttocks everynight for a week while I tack welded it in place several times to make sure the door closed properly as the shutter was on the panel I welded in. It's not perfect but I'm an amateur and I think I saved quite a bit of money and at least I know everything was done to a decent enough standard. It does need a few bits cleaning up in the door shut, but I'll do that before I drive it again in the Spring.

The three dents on the rear wing annoyed me the most so I spent a couple of weeks most nights after work pulling them out and filling them.

Respect to people who do this professionally, you really have to be a perfectionist and have a lot of patience - no wonder it costs a lot.

Here's some pics yo! I don't claim to be a pro at this at all, so this was a learning process for me and if I do something like this again, there's things I will and won't do. :)

KK6fE7Q.jpg

iWdZsZ1.jpg

I cut across the narrowest part of the door shut panel as I thought it would be easier to weld and to avoid cracking of filler from the impact, it meant cutting through undamaged metal, but it was a risk I thought I'd take.

p1vN89d.jpg

I just put the panel onto the overlap of the cut out part, clamped it all down, and then cut straight through it. I had to tack weld it several times to get everything lined up correctly, really stressful that bit.

Yp4exMM.jpg

I think this was as straight as I was going to get it:

09biOrg.jpg

2q5NTP0.jpg

There was dust everywhere:

Y4uIgSa.jpg

I painted it literally straight after and you can see the dents in the rear wing.

2OvG63y.jpg

This has just appeared on an email prompting me to open it via Tapatalk ..... what a crock of crap , my phone or Tapatalk not sure which , only a year + late . How did the Mazda end up , looks like you tried gift wrapping it round something .

Eventually the updates to the original post appeared , why does tapatalk only give the original post and nothing else ???

• 2 months later...

I haven't even driven the car since the last repair, and the door shut just wasn't cutting it. I attached the new panel and it was 2 to 3 mm out. Every time I looked at it, I knew I had to do something about it.

That involved removing all the spotwelds again, and pulling the panel and rewelding. Of course it never goes like that. I started using my crap SIP welder (I found out stands for "Shit! It's Poo!") which immediately blew a great big funking hole in an edge which is going to be a bastard to repair.

Here is my ghetto panel puller.

post-3738-0-12885500-1489362769_thumb.jpg

After no success welding something onto the body I had to drill into the panel and attach a slide hammer to it. It's not pretty!

post-3738-0-82963800-1489362838_thumb.jpg

This is nearly my original shutline which would get me a job in Austin Rover Pressed Steel factory in the 70's.

post-3738-0-35101100-1489363047_thumb.jpg

This is a two person job, one person to pull the stick wedged in a wheel with the door shut to line it up, and then the other to open the door and weld it on. Fortunately I stand on the wheel with my cock 'n' bawls straddling the slide hammer, pulling it out with my back, while doing the work of three hands with my two.

post-3738-0-78842200-1489363243_thumb.jpg

I devised a plan to mount a handle onto the wall, and then use a ratchet strap to pull my puller and then do it easily, but my straps have gone missing. BAWLS

• 4 weeks later...

Suddenly a misfire appears.

When this happens to these cars, it is bad news.

It was overfuelling horribly so I flipping disconnected the battery and never touched it until I put a new O2 sensor in. O2 sensor did the job, but a previous misfire developed into something that sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. Completely undrivable and missed MOT because of it.

New spark plugs are £60, I'll get the wires as well. Ignition coils are £1000 EACH from Mazda - I think I'll try and find aftermarket ones. The heat in the engine bay kills everything.

post-3738-0-92140700-1491865974_thumb.jpg

Lifted the UIM to access the 'rat's nest' below and coils etc. Two of the eight solenoids broke instantly.

post-3738-0-92736700-1491866106_thumb.jpg

post-3738-0-64066900-1491866133_thumb.jpg

I'm going to strip down the whole engine and replace rat's nest and check every single sensor. 

Look how meaningless and dark this whole thing is once you get to the heat soaked electronics.

post-3738-0-09460900-1491866201_thumb.jpg

The problem is:

I have to run the car as the coolant can eat through the irons if it sits

I can't run the car as it's running lumpy and unburnt fuel with cause bore wash which is really bad

I can't switch the car off after a short period of time as this floods the engine - I've only done this once (after ten seconds) and it was a pain in the arse to unflood it - if it's overfuelling I can't run the car for long.

I can't run the car inside the garage as it fucking stinks of fuel, and I can't put it outside because I can't push it into the garage unpowered.

To unflood it, you have to take the spark plugs out, and spin the engine over. The spark plugs are only accessible under the car in a small cavity. The clearance underneath is about two inches.

FUCK!