2000 Corsa B Env(o)y*

Split_Pin

Since a person posting up about the above is no longer likely to be killed until they are dead, thought I would start my first car blog. Ive been a member since 2008 and had this thing since April 2010 so here goes.

We bought it from a dealer in Cowdenbeath. With 65,000 miles on the purple, throbbing 3 cylinder destroyer chainsaw under the bonnet.

This car was originally chosen by me for my wife to commute to work and in her ownership I still took responsibility for maintenance. She wanted wind deflectors and a spoiler for it when it was hers and it looked like this:

post-3238-0-19626900-1450641943_thumb.jpeg

post-3238-0-54306400-1450642002_thumb.jpeg

post-3238-0-65964000-1450642031_thumb.jpeg

I then bought it from her in 2011, so I could make it more to my taste, however she would continue driving it. I did this:

post-3238-0-18910100-1450642234_thumb.jpeg

post-3238-0-39628700-1450642315_thumb.jpeg

Speedlines and 40mm lowering springs and shortened dampers.

After my Vectra became U/S, I bought my wife an brand new car and took full custody of the Corsa.

It was starting to get a bit rusty underneath, I could see that the hammer had already been at the front crossmember and, ironically, whilst pulling myself out from under the back of the car after checking for rust, this gave way:

post-3238-0-41292400-1450642769_thumb.jpeg

Fix now or scrap later. I chose the former and bought a brand new front crossmember from everyones favourite, Hadrian panels and had that fitted, the pictured rear valance chopped out and replaced and the whole underside de rusted and re-undersealed.

post-3238-0-58105400-1450643029_thumb.jpeg

Next for some pretty things, I fitted the Irmscher front apron that my mate and I pulled from a scrappy about 8 months earlier. The owner didnt know what it was so it was cheap. I also fitted a plain grille.

post-3238-0-19837000-1450642482_thumb.jpeg

When I was a young guy I always wanted a Corsa SRI so when a near mint set came up locally and fairly cheap I jumped at the chance. I fitted the chrome door handles from my Vectra to replace the crap looking plastic items.

post-3238-0-42308300-1450643288_thumb.jpeg

post-3238-0-40079200-1450643320_thumb.jpeg

This is how it sits now:

post-3238-0-34111100-1450643506_thumb.jpeg

post-3238-0-20862000-1450643572_thumb.jpeg

In the main its been a grand wee runabout. Service items replaced were a (slightly) fruity exhaust, a new radiator, alternator belt and tensioner, crank sensor, bearings, CV joints and about twelve thousand oil pressure switches. Its now on 93k. My local garage has been bery good at nipping any rusty bits underneath before they take hold.

It has now has 2 advisories for a rusty rear axle so a Corsa C item will be bought for it in January, same goes for those springs and dampers I bought 4 years ago as they are rusty and done.

Enjoy*

I had one just like it, only blue. Mine was a 1998 corsa 'breeze'

I lowered it 60mm onto astra alloys (which ruined the ride)

I added a cherry bomb glass packed exhaust (which ruined my neighbours peace)

I added a pipercross induction kit (which ruined the MAF)

Great car, done 40k in two years before trading against a rover 414i...

The 3cylinder engine isn't a bad wee lump. I managed to crack the manifold above the cat on mine, and needed a couple of MAFs but otherwise mega reliable

As a spotty 17yr old the corsa gave me cheaper insurance, but I would have preferred a fiesta with the 1.25 zetec. Or a clio 1.2 16v.

Both nicer finished and better perceived quality than the corsa. And faster, I think the zetec had 65 or 70bhp!

There was also the fiesta 1.3 pushrod lump out at the same time, which was just shite

There are few cars that respond better to being lowered over a set of larger wheels than corsa Bs. Can't say I like them (I can remember rueing their release as a 5 year old as it became clear car designers had put down the rulers forever) but I like what you've done with yours

I can take off my flame-proof pants for now then 😀

Unlike most owners of 1.0 Corsas who talk big on the Facebook pages about LET engine swaps which NEVER come to fruition, I can safley say that there is no way on earth I will ever have spare cash to do this. If I did, a 20seh 8v would be a winner though.

Aside from that, I haven't had a pot to piss in for years and the little sewing machine has just kept going. Howking it out and consigning it to scrap would be a bit like shooting your faithful little Spaniel in the face.

I really like this, I hanker for a Corsa B to do similar with and often peruse Google looking for ideas. Like Vulgalour I like the fact youive kept the black plastic bumpers, Corsa Bs are one of the only cars to suit them and not look basic/poverty spec as a result. I too loved Corsa B SRis growing up and maybe that's why I like the black plastics.

I can't say I like the SRi interior though, I had the same trim in a mk3 Astra, think it was from an Astra Cesaro. I'd go for the plain black door panels and "spotty" patterned sports seats with solid headrests from a late SXi/Sport. I'd also have colour coded door mirrors, a Punto rear wiper, rev counter clocks, early SRi/GSi 3 spoke steering wheel, power steering and electric windows and mirrors. So yeah I think the exterior is almost spot on, I just like some creature comforts in the interior.

If there's a more perfect set of wheels for that car I'm a monkey's uncle.

I don't reckon the three pots are anywhere near as bad as some people think, they're quite lively and great on fuel.

Whilst I don't deny Speedlines suit the B to a tee, I think depending on the styling of the exterior Irmscher Softstars can look equally as perfect.

It's not the backbox rubbing slightly on the rear end is it? I'm sure outs did that, then a week or two later about 87 foot of horsehair started coming out of the exhaust.