2000 Corsa B Env(o)y*

Split_Pin

155 that is exactly the car I had in mind when fitting the front apron. Most people said Y U NO CULER COD THE HOLE BUMER? But they were all too young to remember this car.

One of the best looking factory option bodykits on that Metro

They always looked like they needed bigger wheels though  :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Had a Corsa C rear axle fitted today to replace the rusting original. They had to grind off the brake line brackets on the old one and weld them to the C item as the ones on that are a tiny bit smaller in diameter and wont allow the brake line to pass through.

4 new springs and 4 used gmax shortened dampers also fitted. OSR one seems a bit noisy, will do for now till I get a pair of new ones in the summer.

Think I am going to get a new rear panel fitted in the summer too. The original has already had surgery and its gone frilly in a new place now.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update for this. Nearly 16 years old now, still going OK.

Binned those second hand G max items ( expensive new) that I was bumped with as the rears felt like they had been filled with sand.

Finally got some new items from a sale and had them fitted today. I quite like pictures of new parts like this fitted, sad I know!

post-3238-0-26281600-1455395779_thumb.jpeg

I decided to dig this thread from the midden.

Since I last posted the engine became hideously unreliable in 2017 with an unsolvable misfire. Anyway, it came to a head when it cut out one day and developed a very loud knock when I managed to restart it. In a fit of rage I blasted it home and to cut a long story short I basically blew it up on the way back. I did some science* and pronounced that the small end on piston number 3 was Donald Ducked.

A car is never dead, it's only the owner that can or cannot be arsed so after a solid session of mulling things over I decided to continue.

I bought an engine hoist, hired a van, took a pallet and some ratchet straps, went to Dalkeith and bought an engine and over the winter I stripped everything back.

During February- April 2018, @320touring.and @jaypee helped me change the engine. I say helped, they did most of the work whilst I panicked about stuff.

A couple of years grand motoring ensued until lockdown when I could ignore the bubbling front strut turrets no more and poked a big hole in one of them.

So I finally got round to booking it into somewhere to have this fixed. I have 2 mint turrets if they are so required.

In the meantime, the rocker cover gasket was showing signs of a significant leak so I decided to sort this today in leiu of me being able to drive it again. The car now has a Boris MOT but in light of the fact that I have covered minimal mileage since the last one and that there are no significant issues with the car other than this rust, I'm comfortable to drive it once it's fixed.

Here is the throbbing* heart, 3 cylinder 973cc 55bhp

IMG_20200626_172943.thumb.jpg.51acd40d79d720a3139867017848e779.jpg

It's leaking badly from above the oil pressure sensor, rather than from it as is usually the case.

IMG_20200626_172855.thumb.jpg.04a2d710d9635885488e2fc8ce84f115.jpg

Gasket off. That has seen better days.IMG_20200626_151905.thumb.jpg.26c6c1c8daf1181635502dd70964525f.jpg

Removing the remains of the old gasket from the head was somewhat painstaking .IMG_20200626_172825.thumb.jpg.720c5e4bbb01dde2e864c20ab1630300.jpg

IMG_20200626_153831.thumb.jpg.8848761c1cf8d793637b4582ed38d251.jpg

Mating face all cleaned up.

IMG_20200626_172800.thumb.jpg.32d111e237f5f2cc1739cf9c00d6e58a.jpg

The rocker cover looked a bit grimy underneath so I degreased it as best I could.

IMG_20200626_172711.thumb.jpg.be93c19cdf45e97ff877b3cd8e29bced.jpg

Gasket on, which I have had for about 10 years and never bothered fitting till now.

IMG_20200626_172649.thumb.jpg.3767abc57094c46fc564ae42a3f6244f.jpg

All back together and hopefully more oil tight than before.

IMG_20200626_172621.thumb.jpg.7c9191f5610443c2add3c9ff9c2e32b3.jpg

I'm still in 2 minds what to do with it but what I am certain about is that I want to get it roadworthy and useable again.

On one hand it's slow and a bit shonky but on the other it handles great and I miss it's practicality. It's got loads of room in the back with the seats down and it's still got plenty ground clearance to be able to take a load.

I might like a more daily-able small car like an R53 Cooper S though.

I'll see how I get on!

To be honest I don't find binis all that they're rated to be. If you already own the car and have so much history with it then maybe its finally time for the engine swap. People have been putting differant lumps in corsa b's since literally i was learning to drive. So custom mounts, looms etc should be off the shelf and all the knowledge is out there. How's about this car with an ecotec or similar in it for the purchase price of a decent bini ?

your not, you think you are ? I'm assuming the car isn't relied on daily. Buy a good lump and a second hand engine crane . New mounts and fit the engine and box yourself. Auto leccy to fit the loom and get sparks where they should be and fuel pumping. Bobs your uncle. See how easy it'll be ?

Brilliant! Great to see this being resurrected. I think these are proper solid gold shite but to my mind are unfairly overlooked on here as they were a success and popular. Got a soft spot for them as my BSM car as a learner was a 1.4 gls- R671ckv which sadly seems to have vanished in about 2005. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well fuck.

This is the offside front lower suspension arm mount with mostly fresh air where the brace should be. 

I'm surprised it didn't drive funny.

This was all hiding under nice underseal and I have more than a suspicion that the rest of the underside is like this as well.

I could get it welded or I could invest in my own gear but I think it would be a marathon.

I'd get a canny bit if I broke it bit I love Corsa Bs so I may look around for a non rusty one and swap my bits over.

I had fun in it today too, taking my son out with his bike in the back, it was like old times.

Bummed out.

IMG_20200710_195708.jpg

Right so I have had a good poke about, it was years overdue.

Not as bad as I first thought, although the chassis leg is still rotten.

The rear spring seats are not as bad as I feared, with only this rot on the seam where it joins the inner wheel arch, just to the left of the damper in this picture. It doesn't extend too far thankfully.

So I think I will just plough on. I've had it 10 years and gone through worse when I changed the engine after the old one died.

The front chassis leg is a common but quite involved repair. I'll replace both bottom arms as they are pretty old looking and were advised upon at the last MOT.

IMG_20200710_212416.jpg