Paint my Wagon! Pic Heavy CX Dalai Lama?!

320touring

MY CX has 4 rotten doors and 2 shagged front wings - happily when I bought the car it also came with a whole set of doors and wings.

With this in mid, and in an attempt to utilise my xmas break effectively, I'm intending to try and get the doors swapped over on the car before I have to return to work.

As part of this, I need to decide what to do about the new doors.

As you can see in the pic, they are not a matched set, and appear to be series 2 doors without chrome upper trim.

s0x6X5qa.jpg

Now, I could just pap them on as is, but I think I should consider trying to get a uniform colour over the car.

Initial thoughts include

Plastidip (just spray on and peel off once not needed) which would mean no damage to the paint.

Pain the 2 white doors and wings - anyone care to guess what colour the car is?

Wrap it

What do you think I should do?

Pics of the bad bits on the doors are below.

And before you ask, no, I'm not going to cut up the good doors to repair the ones on the car;)

Cheers!

post-17572-0-63446900-1450569248_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-43099200-1450569252_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-46549100-1450569256_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-40567400-1450569260_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-41123200-1450569264_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-12906400-1450569267_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-20136900-1450569270_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-85064800-1450569274_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-27613400-1450569278_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-58159400-1450569281_thumb.jpg

The sensible choice is to get the panels repainted to match the car.  But it is a silver car, so this will never work.

The Autoshite choice is to put the white panels on the silver car.

The other choice is a roller, some nato green and about a week's worth of carefully masking everything.

Plastidip is probably the best solution.

Plastidip won't be super classy but it would probably provide the best cost to quality of the lot. AFAIK professional wrapping isn't a whole cheaper than a respray.

aya, I think plastidipping may be the cheapest and least intensive approach.

The sensible choice is to get the panels repainted to match the car.  But it is a silver car, so this will never work.

The Autoshite choice is to put the white panels on the silver car.

The other choice is a roller, some nato green and about a week's worth of carefully masking everything.

Plastidip is probably the best solution.

Its an odd one as the car is fairly rare and the paint original. A colur change could be a right pain (esp re v5 etc).

NATO green doesnt work with chrome;)

I'd have thought the Autoshite option was to weld the existing doors...

:)no welder and nae desire to start that!such big flat panels, too much chance of distortion

Doesn't plastidip/wrap get around the v5 colour change cos it's not a legal change? Sure I've read that somewhere/looked up wrapped cars that have been a different colour legally.

Buy 6 tins of quality street and some good glue and wrap the car in quality street wrappers? Added bonus of once the glue dries it should protect it from rust a bit

Guy in Cambuslang does full car for £395. If all you want is one colour, it's not too bad. www.econospray.co.uk. Better if you take all the trim off first.

Tempting though that is I'd like to keep as much of the Patina and charm as possible:)

may be good for others in the fleet though!

Doesn't plastidip/wrap get around the v5 colour change cos it's not a legal change? Sure I've read that somewhere/looked up wrapped cars that have been a different colour legally.

Buy 6 tins of quality street and some good glue and wrap the car in quality street wrappers? Added bonus of once the glue dries it should protect it from rust a bit

Sure I could get plastidip to mix up a colour close to original..failing that grey/ish/silver could work

If it's just a short-term "asthetic" solution you are after, lob the good panels on and paint the whole car with emulsion of your choice, using a roller and 3" brush for the fine detail.

This approach may* need occasional touch ups to keep it at a good standard

What's the issue with changing colour of a car? I changed a plums and custard 2cv to orange, sent off the v5 with new colour and it came back with no issues.

If you've got plenty of time and patience, Rustoleum is a good option IMHO.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk