Dumped cars in your area

D Spares & Tyres

6 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Some decent spots there, is that an early Rover 800 in the 2nd pic?

I thought you'd been tailing me when I was out spotting, faded red MR2s and crusty Heralds are quite common it seems

yes, it's an early rover sterling, it's not unsurprising that our spots are similar, (I think) I live not far from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Near the family house is a half-converted-to-a-camper Renault Mascott minibus thing, MX05 BFU. Been here for at least six months, and it has never moved from where its been parked.

Some indications of my assumption:

Firstly the MOT expired 12 Dec 2020. It will have to be transported out of Spain/back to the UK as it needs to be legal (MOT, Tax and Insurance)to be driven on the roads here.

Secondly its had its 90 days in the EU (if owned by a non resident) or if owned by a resident, they had 30 days from applying for residency to get it transferred onto Spanish plates (doubtful that it will be allowed).20210504_172554.thumb.jpg.dfee2a0c5cb57f7d94769f5f236013f2.jpg

I know Spain has some tough motoring laws but some people seem to get around them - as far as I know The Beast built by John Dodd in the 70s lives in Spain, and it's apparently driven to the UK yearly (with a 27 litre V12 - believe that if you will) for an MoT. Still on UK plates.

15 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I know Spain has some tough motoring laws but some people seem to get around them - as far as I know The Beast built by John Dodd in the 70s lives in Spain, and it driven to the UK yearly (with a 27 litre V12 - believe that if you will) for an MoT. Still on UK plates.

Why would it need to come to the UK for an MOT ?

KPD 67K is over 40 years old and taxed till next year.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/VehicleFound?locale=en

11 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Before it became MoT exempt, as I understood it, because it remained registered in the UK and avoiding Spanish laws.

It doesn't now. Pre B*****, once a "2nd home owner" had been here for 183 consecutive days, they became liable to pay Spanish taxation. Cars should have been registered onto Spanish after 90 day. Both of these were ignored for years.

Since 1st Jan we all know that you can only spend a maximum of 90 days in 180 in the EU. If you plan to become resident and start the process, you have 30 days in which to register your UK car onto Spanish plates. Which is an expensive and tedious experience. 

I see fewer and fewer UK plates here now. Maybe their owners returned to the UK in them when Covid kicked off. Or have them parked up at the airport or in their garages. I certainly see few about.

If a UK car is on the road here, the driver is an easy target for the police to collect more fines from. 

A weird thing happened yesterday, I was perusing the VOC forum for 145 parts and came across an old advert from 2008 for a nice sounding 145 for sale. The reg was listed so I had a nose to see if it had survived- last MOT in 2011 so it sounded dead. Later I was checking out completed listings on eBay and the very same car had sold recently, looks like it had been abandoned since it's last MOT in an open barn in Dover. It's in a really sorry state now! What a coincidence though, 

Image 1 - Volvo 145 1974 classic car for spares or repairs barn find orange/yellow

Looks like it's been lifted by the roof and possibly had another car on top of it, added to the excessive corrosion and other damage it's very much a spares car now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-145-1974-classic-car-for-spares-or-repairs-barn-find-orange-yellow-/233918613069?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11050.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=8066ecf403ba4a33b330ab6388a5f442&bu=43167806503&osub=-1~1&crd=20210504144858&segname=11050&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid&nma=true&si=P8KzfFlTioRZD8GSBqqlV%2ByHAJ8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's the VOC sale thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=58052

A sad end for what was once a pretty nice sounding car. 

9 hours ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

It was - Dont know if still there though.

Thanks, I recognize the place as use to pass it regularly when I worked for a crap tyre supplier about 12 years ago.  It used to be filled with 80's Subaru's and a Orange BMW 2002. Which has been mentioned nemours times on various forms etc. Although I think sadly it never got saved either. 

Mot history check on Clio showed it ran out in 2018 with sub 50k. Shame as it's a 1.9 derv too. I had a 19 with the same engine, which always went well.

There used to be a few cars abandoned on the Industrial estate last time I went too. I remember one place had a Astra GTE, which a friend brought to restore.

Then some bloke harassed him so much to sell it, after he brought it home. That he sold it on for £500 profit without even putting a spanner to it.

7 minutes ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

The garage used to be the local Subaru dealer in the late 70s early 80s. Did still have quite a bit of new old stock parts from that period. GTE's are a licence to print money these days.

That explains all the Subaru's they had then, shame there all gone now though. Haven't been that way in over 10 years, I'll have to take a ride out one of the days.

I wish my friend hadn't sold that GTE, as I would have happily paid him the £750 he sold it on for myself!

I've been driving past this imprisoned Mondeo for a fair few years now; finally stopped to take a picture yesterday afternoon.

1029318973_IMG_20210508_1655122.thumb.jpg.0391cea6d7c4fd74e2a65befa5eb4899.jpg

226610549_IMG_20210508_1655182.thumb.jpg.9b05a328ed2f70c0cbdc2abd73be87e2.jpg

Mmm, yeah... that's not moved in a while.

DVLA says the MOT ran out in 2016, which seems about right.

Not entirely abandoned, as the house itself looks in reasonable trim, but I think this one's unlikely to see the road again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...