Dumped cars in your area

D Spares & Tyres

It's an MO not a Minor (yes a S/S Minor is worth money), the MO was a bigger version essentially, think Wolseley did a version too.  Not really worth alot when in decent shape so no-one much is going to spend a  bunch of money rescuing  it plus I'd bet sheet metal panels would be impossible to find. This one looks like spares/scrap. 

Odd to see a Landy (couple of posts back) abandoned, always thought they had such a following that they'd always find a home. 

The Mk2 Golf is a pity, even in non-GTi form they are good cheap to run cars, easy to work on and reliable, possibly about the last decent VW IMO.

20 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

It's worth it's weight in scrap.

Shame. There should be a kind of safari park where stuff like this can just rust away quietly.

What like this guy?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1842968/man-who-collected-fifty-vintage-cars-and-left-them-to-rot-in-a-forest-is-now-worth-over-700000/

Appeared just before christmas complete. now seems to be a source for spares for every other leon in the town. Oddly it's taxed and mot'd.

The bloke whos house its outside has asked on the local facebook page whos it is and apparently "reported it to authorities"  but no one cares as it's not nicked and has tax.

IMG_20200126_165510_536.jpg

IMG_20200126_165538_205.jpg

On 1/17/2020 at 9:55 AM, Lord Sterling said:

I literally walked passed these R8s a few years ago:

L plater on 60k; SORNed 2016, J plater 120k; SORNed 2013. Both last had V5s issued in 2012.

They're looking remarkably free of rust considering the amount of time they've been sitting, and the J plate car is wearing a set of GTI spec lattice alloy wheels (possibly as part of the Luxury Pack which also yielded a leather interior). Both are automatics too. 

Sad to see them that way, as they're remarkably capable cars really. My latest purchase bears a close resemblance to these two, give or take some bumpers, wood trim and a camshaft. 

These cars could very easily live again, but only if the price is right, as both will need headgaskets replacing as a matter of course after the amount of time they've been laid up. And cambelts as part and parcel, as well as partial head rebuilds etc... bet they'd run sweet though. 
That J plate car is my ideal spec R8, really - it could only be better if they offered a twincam Honda engined automatic without the sports seats... ;) 

13 hours ago, Richie said:

Bloody hell that's abit extreme, had it been sat there for long? 

About a week - out of test & tax and all tyres flat.

11 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

At least his face is clearly in shot though, ready for the police to not take the slightest bit of interest. 

Absolutely this.

I don't know how the law works but if a car is abandoned and no owner can be found, if it was torched was a crime actually committed? Or can the police press charges for arson even if the owner of the vehicle doesn't? I'm assuming it would depend on wether the fire was likely to spread?

I would imagine it’s arson regardless of whether the vehicle has an interested owner, same with abandoned buildings/setting fire to the contents of a skip. 

For a start, there’s the wasted time and effort of the fire brigade to attend and put it out. Then the disposal costs, so it’s not really a ‘victimless crime’ as the taxpayer gets hit with all the bills for clearing up.

Why do all the dumped German ones have no plates?  Is it something to do with transfer of ownership -  I know some countries you basically keep the same number plate and move it from car to car.

Most car ‘dumpers’ in the UK don’t bother to remove number plates, maybe it’s just typical British laziness compared to German thoroughness!