Royale Coupe - Brakes fixed!

Stevebrookman

Hello all,
Car now MOT'd-had a few patches welded, new brake pads, centre propshaft bearing and carrier and gearbox oil seal.
Came to £300 including the MOT.
Now the hard work begins!
Will now replace the bushes at the front (I have 2 sets) and start the long haul of removing the surface rust from suspension and epoxying it. The front valence will also be rubbed down with a flapdisk and epoxyed.
Looking like I will need an exhaust so may look at stainless-any recommendations?

Will keep posted!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all.

A few problems on the Royale.

Went out in it this morning-brakes felt a little spongy (new pads on the front). Drove about 12 miles no issues-got home - went to drop my brother off and brake peddle went to the floor and engine cut out. Engine will now not idle-brakes seem better when throttle held to enable it to run.

I suspected an air leak -but cannot find any-I took the servo hose off and blocked the pipe off the manifold-but still would not idle.

Only thing I noticed when pulling the bonnet after it cut out was the brake fluid was quite high (I drained a little off).

Any thoughts most welcome!!

Steve

Possibly two unrelated faults, possibly a vacuum-related fault.

My guesses are:

Brakes: Master cylinder is fucked - potentially the seals have blown, allowing fluid to be pumped back up into the reservoir.

Engine: Vacuum pipe from carb to brake servo perished or loose, resulting in excessive air in the fuel/air mixture.

But they're just guesses.

Will have a look at a master cylinder for a Carlton (if cannot get a seal set)-same year-may have to bend a couple of pipes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361462522006?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will measure up and have a look.

I assume with these there are three outputs (two one side of the piston and one the other) to the various brake circuits in case of a pipe failure.

Thanks

Steve

Fuck me, he is annoying.

+1... I watched it with the sound turned off but he still annoyed me.

I find it hard to believe that he isn't a total Autoshite Idol yet.

He is a total shiter, everything he says and does is spot on, yet he is so overbearingly irritating that you'd want to tickle him with an axe.

I should have heeded this advice:

I think he's entertaining, I like the way his voice goes 10 octaves higher by the end of the video.

Your car will be cutting out due to the pipe from the inlet to the servo. Maybe a small pipe is coming off it to operate a vacuum system, like a interior heating redirect flap or something.

He will be getting payment for every video view on Youtube. Even if he receives 1 cent for every view, his videos have made him over 1 million dollars.

Really? That is just insane.... I don't like the modern world. I am going back to 1993.

It was better then. See y'all there!

Junkman, on 15 Feb 2016 - 5:31 PM, said:Junkman, on 15 Feb 2016 - 5:31 PM, said:

I find it hard to believe that he isn't a total Autoshite Idol yet.

He is a total shiter, everything he says and does is spot on, yet he is so overbearingly irritating that you'd want to tickle him with an axe.

It's like someone concentrated all of the smugness of Quentin Willson and the 'in-yer-face'-ness of Mike Brewer and then packaged them into an even more punchable presenter with an ultra-irritating yank voice & detestable 'look at me' transatlantic mindset.

It's like someone concentrated all of the smugness of Quentin Willson and the 'in-yer-face'-ness of Mike Brewer and then packaged them into an even more punchable presenter with an ultra-irritating yank voice & detestable 'look at me' transatlantic mindset.

Is it going to be on the new Top Gear? Sounds like they're missing out on something if not...

I didn't really understand why he found a plug-in code reader to be such a novelty on the Merc CLS, or why the fact that the car tells you the exact thing wrong with it is a bad thing. I did get very worried as he leaned over the Merc's shiny silver with a big bunch of scratchy keys dangling from his belt.

But he's right of course, why worry about all those funny buttons in Stuttgart's finest when you could be driving something made in Detroit with hard plastic and luminous green dashboard.

I will probably end up watching all of his videos now and going to bed late.

He will be getting payment for every video view on Youtube. Even if he receives 1 cent for every view, his videos have made him over 1 million dollars.

It's YouTube. I very much doubt he's getting a cent per view. 140,000 views has so far earned me £60. That works out at 0.04p per view.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/this-emmy-award-winning-youtube-mechanic-is-full-of-shi-1696524549#_ga=1.157979834.1235685788.1442855237

Made me laugh.

Sorry for the hi-jacking the thread even more Steve, hope the new cylinder works out.

There’s no need to condescendingly pontificate about why everyone doesn’t drive a $300 1994 Toyota Celica

Correct. That should be done with everyone not driving a £200 Rover.

More progress today!

Bled the brakes-don't know if it made a difference as I couldn't take it for a drive as I had painted the front valance with epoxy primer.
valence_zps3mjdncdm.jpg

At least the bleed nipples opened ok-should have a new master cylinder tomorrow-it's for a Carlton but looks the same.

Investigated the gearbox wiring-found lots of wires and the control box that will not be needed following  advice I had from Autobahnstormers.

wires_zpscfv67tvr.jpg

Found out why the dash illumination  lights would not work-all bulbs are blown-have ordered some from ebay along with LED replacements (white) which I will give a go and if not too bad will leave them in as they last a lot longer than normal bulbs.

It's a bit of a pain removing the dash.

dash_zps9v8lq2k1.jpg

Hope to have the new master cylinder on in the next few days.

Will keep posted.

Regards

Steve