Royale Coupe - Brakes fixed!

Stevebrookman

Evening all,

Friend took the Royale for a pre-mot check over at his garage.

Needs two bits of welding and new front pads-booked in for 1st week of Jan.

Other issues that need fixing.

New center bearing and carrier for the prop-can feel it vibrating.

Needs gearbox rear seal-slight leak.

Speedo-original speedo is from a Royale which had a mechanical drive-gearbox from a Monza GSE has an electric drive-may have to look for a Monza speedo.

Strange feeling from the front-feels like worn mountings bushes-you can feel it kicking and hear it  through the steering-especially when reversing.

Heater not working-no warm air-will check to see if matrix is in car!

So far better than I thought!

Onwards and upwards!

Steve

Thanks all,

The bushes are available apparently from Australia as the front suspension is very similar to a Holden Commodore.

Thanks for the advice Bren- I know the towers are a weak point-I've had a good look at them and think they are pretty solid-but as always you never know unless you dig deeper!

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the advice!

Progress so far! (not a lot!)

1-New prop center bearing and carrier ordered ina bid to stop vibration.

2-Replaced passenger electric window motor-worked but then found the remainder of the window guide channel

Window%20%20Reg_zpsc3epdkxe.jpg

Need to find a likewise piece from the scrappy.

3-Got the central locking half working-got a new door loom on the way.

4-Removed rust from the inner frames of the doors-will grind out and epoxy. Will then spray dinotrol into doors.

Door1_zps2ob68l2p.jpg

5-Drivers door lock barrel had snapped-replaced it with a later Senator one-had to do quite a bit of fabrication inside the door-but it now locks.

Lock1_zpsnbu7zu07.jpg

6-Rear gearbox seal is slightly leaking-new one on the way.

Plans after MOT in Jan-eliminate all vibration (hopefully) and start replacing all suspension bushes.

Will paint the suspension with Black epoxy as I go along.

Will also rub down and paint front valence.

Onwards and upwards!

Steve

Howdy Steve, 

I found a few pics of the one that's been in my local scrappy for years, as you can see it's " Royalee fucked" but may have some useable bit's for you, can you do a wish list as I'll likely be down there over xmas break and see what I can salvage off it for you, I know you wanted headlight wiper mech but can't remember what else

FE91C218-CA25-4DD4-8BCD-6429E2A0F3E4-197

E25A055D-DB1A-4B18-BED9-130243A607A7-197B0F0A821-866A-44E8-8A45-434A0A017B05-1976F4F65C9-3D4D-4913-B6C3-1024E3CB827E-197

Howdy Steve, 

I found a few pics of the one that's been in my local scrappy for years, as you can see it's " Royalee fucked" but may have some useable bit's for you, can you do a wish list as I'll likely be down there over xmas break and see what I can salvage off it for you, I know you wanted headlight wiper mech but can't remember what else

FE91C218-CA25-4DD4-8BCD-6429E2A0F3E4-197

E25A055D-DB1A-4B18-BED9-130243A607A7-197B0F0A821-866A-44E8-8A45-434A0A017B05-1976F4F65C9-3D4D-4913-B6C3-1024E3CB827E-197

Thanks Omegod-does look a little rough!

I am after the headlamp washer motors and mechanisms-but they look a little hard to get at!

Many thanks

Steve

Just spotted the photos of this. Must admit, I never knew VX built a Royale Coupe; I knew they produced the booted Royale, but I assumed that was the only derivative. I guess it must have been rare when new? The shape looks similar to a Monza - I'm guessing these must have been used as a basis. Cornish number plate too!

Morning Terry!

The coupe is based on a Monza with a few differences. Mine originally had the 2.8 carb engine (Royales were supplied with this engine-only towards the end of production were a few offered with the 3.0) but has been replaced at some stage with a 3.0 injected Monza engine.

Good spot on Cornwall-just looked at the service book and the first service was carried out at 1003 miles at Wincanton Garages in Helston!

The next few services were by Treglowns Garages in Newquay>

Regards

Steve

Mines not too bad actually with regards to rust (bearing in mind it's over 35 years old)-underneath is very good-although it needs two small patches welding. A few scabs on the doors-I've ground out the rust and temporarily (i.e.bodged) repainted them. The only other area is the front valence which has quite a bit of surface rust- I'm waiting for some epoxy primer-when it comes I'll grind out the rust, put some Hydrate 80 on and handpaint on the epoxy. This should last a few years until I get it painted.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update.
Car going for an MOT on Tuesday-needs two small patches welded underneath.

To make it easier (and cheaper!) I removed the rear carpets and loosened the fronts.
floor3_zps1hdjsclb.jpg

floor2_zpsbrppshso.jpg

floor1_zpsh7qbkezw.jpg

Also having the rear gearbox seal changed and a new prop centre bearing and carrier put on.

Brother also made some wheel centre caps for me - I'll get a smaller Vx logo-but ok for now!

centre_zpsf6pexmqc.jpg

Will report back when I get the car back!

Cheers
Steve