Royale Coupe - Brakes fixed!

Stevebrookman

• 2 months later...

Drained the petrol tank yesterday as there is a drip coming from the bottom of it. Petrol gauge is dodgy so thought there were about 10 litres in it-turned out to be nearer 30. Cleaned the pinhole and surrounding area up and used some tank seal epoxy putty on it. See if it has worked today. Still need to do the welding and a bit more I have found.

Senator is carrying out this winters duties.

Steve

• 11 months later...

Did a bit of work on the Royale today aided by Chester the dog. Still haven't got around to welding it yet (over a year!)-but when moving it this morning one of the rear calipers was sticking, so stripped it down and gave it a clean. You can see the hole still present and my helper. The bluey stuff is Vactan.

yKMvGUX.jpg

NuuLGH7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As i had done a bit of work on the Senator-I thought it only fair to do a bit on the Royale. This has been off the road for a year waiting for me to weld two patches. Had a problem with the brakes a few months ago-car was up on ramps for a few months-went to move it and brake pedal went to the floor. Reservoir was empty. No visible leaks so topped it up-suspect leaking master cylinder. Started it today-always fires up immediately-and brakes working as normal. Took it for a spin up the private lane and remembered how much more powerful and quicker it is than the Senator.

Going to practice my welding tomorrow-need to get it back on the road.

Here's some pictures from this morning.

0uSU0LC.jpg

VARDhFB.jpg

SR6GgMu.jpg

And one of the holes.

CQpZ5Kv.jpg

Steve

• 2 months later...

With the forthcoming free tax on the horizon-I thought I'd fix the sticky rear caliper - .

Got the caliper off-had to cut brake pipe as union would not come undone. Pressed pistons out as far as they would go on the car before cutting. One piston came out using compressed air-cleaned it up, greased and new seal-but the other refuses to shift. Looks like I'll have to put back on car (when my brake flaring tool and connectors come) and try pushing it out using brake pressure.

Bloody cars.

Managed to get the union off by hammering a socket over it-it was quite tight!

image.thumb.png.d830d869b560e3709bd7b66fb256deaa.png

Before I popped the  RH piston out. Could do with a good clean up.

Problem is the rear calipers for a Royale are like unicorn poo.

image.thumb.png.9c5bc66472c2ab0e07f9488176dfce69.png

Spurred on by Skizzers latest purchase, I pushed on with the brakes. I am replacing the seals in the rear caliper that has been a bit sticky.A couple of months ago I started and managed to get one piston out-the other would not budge-tried my compressor - but no luck. Bough a brake flaring kit a month ago and used it today. Linked up a long length of copper and used the hydraulic pressure in the brakes to pop the piston out. it was a bit mucky-but cleaned up ok. Now back together!

Car is now MOT and TAX exempt-but will not be going to post office for a while to change it over. Waiting for some MIG wire to come and will have a pop at the two holes.

image.thumb.png.3aeca71293cd98b1302eb443df2385ce.png

b2.JPG

b1.JPG

• 7 months later...

Update-managed to get the bleed nipples out from the front two calipers-Normfest Supercrack helped! Bled brakes -seemed a lot better up and down the lane. Taxed (free!!!!!!) and insured it last week but only today had a chance to take it for a spin-first time in two years!  Brakes still a little spongy-will replace all pads and another bleed-I still have one rear bleed nipple kaput-if no better the master cylinder and rear caliper will be off to past parts for reconditioning. Here it is moved to car port in preparation for brake pad changing.

image.thumb.png.69dc782ff502e234aaae2b6aeba7fb1d.png

More work on the Royales brakes on Friday. Looked at the front ones and pads not wearing evenly. Looked like a piston was sticking. Royale has twin pistons on front. Moved them in and out a few times and cleaned up using lots of brake cleaner. Swapped pads around so more worn pad was on the previous sticky side. Repeated on the other side. Took for a spin for 20 mins and brakes much better. Slight sticky drivers rear-the only one I haven't touched-will do this next.

More progress today. Right rear brakes cleaned up, pistons pushed back and forth and new pads. Seemed to have fixed the issue. Brakes now quite good.
One other problem I need to fix is the petrol pump. It's been noisy but quietened down. On my "spirited" drive for 30 mins (it's rapid!)-all was ok until I went right around a big roundabout-the pump became noisier and there wasn't much power. Thought I'd need a tow-it cleared and back to normal thankfully. Noisy on RH bends though. There's only a couple of gallons in there and I don't know if the tank is a proper injection one with a swirl pot.
Next job is to put the new pump and a new filter and lots more petrol. Also need a temperature sensor. Onwards and upwards!!!!
zvUTa_Ui0-WJK-fImGmkN_u8zysYnkBJ1EvwuiW1tfykFeGNS9zOQBRmkRJUYt3Rjbgz87pPhdpvrzeJDg4o59q5e7p0Deku-AEuYgLDVZuaHzOOyDBP4Ot2UDjm1_zulHSFmWUG75XPCiIUhnxWl3RsIg-JWAxP8-N2XTRuTxGeQZlVjHm7j87AiMSHTK17i5I_R8pv3yBPmqsE2E51NQPo73SKBU9kRAu-apNTgUHuLUObS6e7tfoT-vGFj9QDj9qEj2aE9rWITtBKpOg2GviMwP0_SiQ9It4zgNL3abndK9XztjCOP5pMr2ZyJj8gyN01Aqj7VU8f3on3Zntw0YwmXWtvz9JTtlZw-3OQpU_Wv_IWj8LXNyMj0noWh97uVH-uMCKRcbdY5CvFSygkQxF8KZr0F4K4z7H6wSkj3pj8Ll_HYP6i6bO5h6Slr_7zBR32GSu-RGR8LnU4MXJ19gemCLuZnf82J1g88vpS2OYeaLC11wevHARaVaszTagCbQJJlx_42BvN_oYKT5Ce4T3r6Wm380iHM5jAXrGxgbbPL5pgCti_RC27hF2gw7co0m68W7YgCYz1R9o6W7V4LxY7XpTbL7kVwjBMrgSJNNDKkxAs1k2OhTlZla-_AO1Zg1XAyCyriPd6tI8JIIpqAROUk1WQ_vDVxfNF5eDml8nNfVXMwjstYdfKyapH=w546-h970-no?authuser=0

Q2MaggdRSuscKirnl-8S45uVS3jXbWNdMJJSNs0A4AK5QoLdY-_wyc7BIF_zYyMRDQ8jB-IAskENyzlSQDAMosjp0jYFIutrM9AQDGa5KMa0GLvpEx6Tj6Ay6LQ5idacygbSwluSo3iM1VPf9jS_Yyw9gnVeKRuY5p8fASMd7iZbe_L8BxD915Zeg8wKu37e7XJKSEs-OCQWxpHNAcxYjyDBiiaY9FAgtFm3XGHouU8fMXc93XLOSgzKOSm5YWrQFn6mMaJ_gBBbYwxohgnq4mLfhvXlOMSEsq9AT5zzNbqJdNL1yUdv-mytxLiNxiULXlgWzw-ZVVHctRyutB1498ulr0s8EOz16bjgS-DOj9Jo0KFEc-Lfd4ZxF4KRLnt7-IDirgUDXo1D19gnuizafvkgOM21ciYQKuMmHVOe2jdgrMrcJPvP3zZc98NNRnknZgE3gBhp-WB9VmxXBALefBTGQ0jktxFely9awz5T4bAEteUn9FVmXSwWr7_wGb2g50nuxWAHliqdaRE3dYEwkSQ2R_WFa8QV_7IKlsr24nVHizEea8Y6EaqJRh5ZzdQ12KZQpPi4AKgqIa1GGfpN_ArNXkDCEL2Lw4nAW7ez8cesU4k_yXW9i-Cjv-2h8RC145W-jFaIqUkU9Q97S9Ce2VAAJe4L6NYsab7nizOvTHZuA2opyaFzW7byOgXS=w1723-h969-no?authuser=0

• 1 month later...