Your Rover SD3 stories (mine has ended)

eddyramrod

If anybody wants to take it on, it's at FOADWERX.  I know I'll never get my investment back, I'd settle for a bit of tat-fund just so I can invest* in something less hopeless.  I've lost all my mojo on this one, sense of humour is fast disappearing over the hill, I can't see that carrying on with it will do me any good.

As fucked as it is could the massive not consider a group funded fixage and this baby become the new autoshite Rover whore, I don't mind chucking a few shekels in for wire n shit, having said that I can't weld for shit

This! I'd make a donation.

As I said earlier, it's only metal. It was bent and welded together yonks back when it was made and it can be done the same again now to fix it. It can be fixed.

I know exactly how your feeling though Eddy having gone through the same shit with my car so you have my sympathies. The good thing is here though you've got a good guy to do the work for you who won't mess you around. I didn't and got shit on. It's a good ace card to have and probably is your best shot at getting your car sorted.

It'll look superb after the mess is dealt with and it's a rare car too.

I would be more than happy to help with the welding if i wasn't on the Isle of Wight and the car in Scotland.

This done properly would surely make a great example of a fine car and be unlike most of the other survivors which would surely all be rusty too.

It sure is a lot of work for a car that is perhaps not worth a great deal but you can't exactly go out and buy one of these at any time from anywhere either.

I think it's worth saving

Even finished it's worth less than I've already put in, not counting whatever I pay FOAD.  I was expecting that and was prepared to live with it, had it taken the 3-6 months I expected at the first garage, rather than being left out in public for 13 months.  But look what did happen................

I get the impression that even if you sunk a load of money that you haven't got into it and get it finished that you will still resent it and end up disliking it. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses before getting to involved and writing it off as a bad experience.

Of course if you do decide to go for it I'm happy to put some money into the welding fund too.

I get the impression that even if you sunk a load of money that you haven't got into it and get it finished that you will still resent it and end up disliking it. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses before getting to involved and writing it off as a bad experience.

Of course if you do decide to go for it I'm happy to put some money into the welding fund too.

This is it really. Again, going back to mine, it crossed my mind wether or not to bail on it and write off the losses as a bad experience.

You can't do it regardless and then get the car back and wonder why you bothered. That would be worse than losing the money you've already spent on it.

The bottom line here is, do you like this car enough to justify the expense? If the answer is no then it's time to let it go.

By chance I was sorting through some old photos this week and found some more of mine. This was '93, so only four-years-old (and starting to rust beneath that shiny BRG paint. Not the obvious choice for a 22-year-old, but it was way better than others in its class. And it had a leccy sunroof (but manual windows).

post-5450-0-21009900-1498252119_thumb.jpg

The one I knocked back was like that.......and I was on a 'couple of patches for the mot' mission.

I also worked on them new and remember the steel was pretty thin.

I'd chip in for welding though....... But pity/admire the poor fucker who has got to do it.

I'm not convinced there are an awful lot of better ones about either.

Proper ray of sunshine me!

I've made a good bit of progress on this so far, I've cut most of the rust from the nearside floor and inner and outer sills. I'm not giving up on it just yet but I think my initial target of having it done within 3 months is slightly optimistic. I had hoped to do it a bit at a time and focus a couple of hours each Friday.

I spent 3-4 hours on it today but a lot of that was spent carefully removing the interior and carpets, I expect to have the rest of the rust cut out by the end of the next session.

Well done FOAD, fair play to you for giving it a whirl. I reckon these are the rustiest cars of the 1990's, Rover really ought to be ashamed of themselves. Alfa 33's, Senators, even Minis have got nowt on these things IMO for solubility. I had a few back in the day and they were always rotten as a pear. Quite a nice drive though on the way to the scrapyard.

When I first met my ex wife she had a 213se. Really was a nice car to drive and the Honda engine was a cracker. Even 23 years ago it was starting to show a little rust in places. Great cars though and would be nice to see it saved.

I see were going for flat bits not trying to copy the original.

I admit it's what I'd do and I would assume there's no panels you can cut bits off and of course it's a total twat to make them. Does seem a shame but then anything is better than nothing and you're doing a job many wouldn't try so keep it up!