Stanky's Car Fixing Thread - New Car Update 16/3

Stanky

• Stanky changed the title to Stanky's fixerating of vehicles thread - NOT COLLECTION THREAD 25/02
10 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

As an aside, that carpet in the garage deserves a mention! Tremendous!

Β 

It was removed (virtually immediately) from the master bedroom in our house when we moved in, its beyond awful! It is, however, very handy on the floot of the garage, it covers about 75% of the floorspace and makes rolling around under rusty cars far less of a chore, and a damn sight less cold in December. Well worth doing if you have a carpet replaced, or see a roll going for nothing on freecycle. It also absorbs nasty oily grot and things so you do need to be a bit careful with grinders and welding.

4 minutes ago, Stanky said:

It was removed (virtually immediately) from the master bedroom in our house when we moved in, its beyond awful! It is, however, very handy on the floot of the garage, it covers about 75% of the floorspace and makes rolling around under rusty cars far less of a chore, and a damn sight less cold in December. Well worth doing if you have a carpet replaced, or see a roll going for nothing on freecycle. It also absorbs nasty oily grot and things so you do need to be a bit careful with grinders and welding.

Makes the place look cosy!

Pretty sure the carpet in a Wetherspoons has a higher flashpoint than yours though.

Looking at that whiteboard it must be a small/medium petrol-engine'd car.Β  I can't think what takes 175/55R15 tyres.Β  It's an odd size for sure.

This:

https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/175/55R15/

link has a list of all cars that use that size.Β  Would be epic if it's an Alfasud Sprint.

Also on the list are Renner Clio and Rover 400.Β  Possibilities maybe.

Of the list, I'll guess Fiat Punto.

42 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Looking at that whiteboard it must be a small/medium petrol-engine'd car.Β  I can't think what takes 175/55R15 tyres.Β  It's an odd size for sure.

This:

https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/175/55R15/

link has a list of all cars that use that size.Β  Would be epic if it's an Alfasud Sprint.

Also on the list are Renner Clio and Rover 400.Β  Possibilities maybe.

Of the list, I'll guess Fiat Punto.

I can confirm it IS on that list, but is NOT either a Punto or Alfasud Sprint.

Hands up who chose 'Daihatsu Sirion Rally 11'?Β 

IMG_20210226_161401232_HDR.thumb.jpg.2d8be9490092782f0b9d816319ddc00b.jpg

IMG_20210226_161409053_HDR.thumb.jpg.a1c31b820266cf5525951e3fcc3a7921.jpg

IMG_20210226_163147557_HDR.thumb.jpg.1d0b3e8099caaeea0c2915378932c3a2.jpg

IMG_20210226_162249892.thumb.jpg.953fcf05a1164ae62d7102fa81f7db5f.jpg

IMG_20210226_162240429.thumb.jpg.e0b5612aff548457dd614f585c223a1e.jpg

Yep, thats right. 107bhp of tuned Toyota 2sz-fe goodness, fitted to about 670kg of the finest Japanese steel available in the mid-00's. @TubboΒ put this up for sale earlier this week and @worldofcerikindly delivered it from Sunny Devon to Sunny Hampshire this afternoon. The timing was perfect as @worldofceriΒ was in Devon anyway delivering a T4 to @phil_lihpΒ of this very parish so it all clicked together perfectly.

I've hooked itsΒ tinyΒ battery up to my trickle charger for now, there is a snagging list I need to work through before its MOT ready. I've already splashed the cash on an alternator belt, inlet manifold gasket, throttle body gaskets for the ICV and baseplate and I need to extract the alternator this weekend to drop it off at www.jasm.co.uk for a refurb next week.

We used to have a Daihatsu Cuore (the UK demonstrator, S201 UKL) which was an absolute riot to drive with its 54bhp 989cc triple, this is its big brother, with twice as much power so should be a lot of fun once its road legal.

My plan is to work through the idle issue (it sits at about 1500rpm) which I think is mostΒ likely an air leak somewhere after the MAP sensor, then replace the mid-rear exhaust section which has a speed hole in it currently, then have @tobydweld up the rear suspension mount which is rather crusty, then fit 4 tyres then put it in for a test. This will take me a while but it can stay garaged during this time to keep it dry and warm.

I can work on quite a bit of the rust with a wire wheel and vactan while the alternator is away being fiddled with and while I wait for the gaskets to arrive.

Its the highest revving car I've ever owned, with a redline at 7800rpm, I'm very much looking forward to testing that out once its road legal! Hopefully the fac that Daihatsu pulled out of the WHOLE CONTINENT OF EUROPE in 2013 won't hinder my work too much, and adds some shitey-smelling credentials to this one

I'll keep this thread updated with progress.Β 

• Stanky changed the title to Stanky's fixerating of vehicles thread - Nu_Arrival 26/02