Honda HRV what do these bits do? High idle speed

Christine

Single cam VTECs are designed for efficient running at constant load; they work in urban sub-60mph traffic best, following by urban crawl (and I do mean crawl). Drive it like a TDi away from lights, and try to keep up with traffic on an un-roadworked motorway (I believe some remain), and it'll be shit on fuel and disappointing.

But the single-cam model is easy to set up for a Jackson Racing supercharger apparently.

I have an almost brand new Haynes manual for one of them. Purchased because it details the 2.2 Cdti that was in my Accord, and there is no Haynes for an accord. Do you want it? Swap for something mundane, and pointless.  

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back up ! I took this little  Honda out tonight and its got its mojo back :-D , slogged up hills in top...caned it on the straights . Drove lovely :-D  :-D   I'm wondering if 19 psi in the back tyres was half the trouble ,and i had two new front ones t'other day ,  42psi  in one   :shock:      29 in the other

Bringing this back up ! I took this little  Honda out tonight and its got its mojo back :-D , slogged up hills in top...caned it on the straights . Drove lovely :-D  :-D   I'm wondering if 19 psi in the back tyres was half the trouble ,and i had two new front ones t'other day ,  42psi  in one   :shock:      29 in the other

Distributor is about the only weakness on VTEC engines of this era, you'd be see far more running issues than you described though. 

Gareth says his 2.0 auto crv is as shit on fuel wether he is driving like miss daisy or like he is 17 again, so he hoons it everywhere now...

With all of myne there was about 2 mpg difference between pootling around and caning it! 

• 2 years later...

Update . The problem was 10 40  oil .. Changed to 5 30 and  power delivery is now very linear ,and much more pleasant to drive.. :-D  :-D  :-D  I think the vtec  probably works from oil pressure . 

Good news MOT pass today :-D  !!!  ... I thought it wanted discs,pads , wipers and a rear tyre at least  . Well it does , but they were put down as advisories ,discs and pads are only £45 on ebay .

Tyres ,I was waiting till next month to fit the winters. Bit of corrosion on a rear brake pipe too. 

Still looks presentable , but wanting something different soon ,like a Bini..

post-17940-0-95553900-1537527994_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

This thing is revving it's bollocks off .. off throttle , and it hangs..  takes ages to drop to idle .. what could it be ?  

I might add , i think the thermostat may be passed its best , the temp gauge is only 1/4 from cold . Would the engine sense    "I'm cold , therefore rich mixture ?"  Heaters toasty enough though.

• 8 months later...