SHITE BIKE BSA 20 project.

Lankytim

Hi gang,

My dad offloaded this piece of crap onto me this week.

received_10156317610315436_zpsrakz502u.j

Apologies for the shite pic.

It's a 1974 BSA/ Raleigh 20 which has been sat under a tarp outside for 15 years and prior to that unused for another 10 or so. It was going to be binned so I did the honorable thing.

It needs a pair of tyres and tubes as they both exploded when I tried to blow them up and the chrome is peeling off but it all seems to work.

The plan is to fit a 2 stroke strimmer engine I have in the garage, driving the rear wheel via a friction drive onto the tyre and have 10 mins of fun riding round on the drive at 4MPH or whatever, 

It's cleaned up quite nicely, I just need a pair of 20 inch tubes and road tyres and I can go for a pedal.

Light the fires and smoke the tyres............. (probably literally!)

Likewise - look forward to the results.

I had something similar but possibly smaller called an RSW7 (??? or something like that) before I stepped up to the big league and bought a 5-speed (count them, five) racer which to date is the only form of transport I've ever bought brand new.

My dad offloaded this piece of crap onto me this week.

a 1974 BSA/ Raleigh 20 which has been sat under a tarp outside for 15 years 

The plan is to fit a 2 stroke strimmer engine I have in the garage,

THIS is exactly why Autoshite is so full of win. No fitting wanky Lexus lights to a Fiesta threads - no - resurrecting a 41 year old shopper bicycle and then lobbing a pez engine on it.

Slap on an old starter motor and one or two ole 12v batteries on a modified carrier, (bungeeeed on the existing one),  then this will be road legal so you can leave your drive behind and use the cycle path to zoom past traffic without MOT, rent,  rates, helmet. Get the gearing and a bit of rewiring right and it'll scare you with  acceleration and speed for the 20 minutes between charges.

Was anyone else expecting this thread to be about one of these?

Actually I am sad enough that I did expect the shite push bike.  

Love the small wheeled shopper bikes, I have two tucked away.   If you're over 6 foot you get maximum clown points riding one.

Lanky Tim there are two different 20" wheel sizes on these either 406 or 451.   The 451 size can be hard to find, I have found SJS Cycles usually have some http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-hs110-rigid-road-tyre-20-x-1-3-8-inch-37-451-prod12175/?geoc=us

Is that a dynohub on it?

And no live colektiun thread either !

Which is a shame as I was looking forward to shed after shed jammed full of "Eddy Merckx" and Raleigh "Olympus" racing bikes and tales of woe involving the chain coming off before getting to the money shot.

If I see you riding that thing when I'm out on my Grifter, I'm going to push you off and call you a gaylord.  

This may seem inappropriate behaviour for a man of 48, but the rules of the schoolyard must still be observed.

Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight...............

Actually I am sad enough that I did expect the shite push bike.  

Love the small wheeled shopper bikes, I have two tucked away.   If you're over 6 foot you get maximum clown points riding one.

Lanky Tim there are two different 20" wheel sizes on these either 406 or 451.   The 451 size can be hard to find, I have found SJS Cycles usually have some http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-hs110-rigid-road-tyre-20-x-1-3-8-inch-37-451-prod12175/?geoc=us

Is that a dynohub on it?

Tyres and tubes ordered, thanks!