M'coli's Mingebag Motorway Mile-munching quest - in-car camping considered!

M'coli

Yahoooooo!  I've been offered a job as a graduate engineer, just over 2 years after graduating!  A middle-aged man is very bloody happy!!!  Start date, 21st of December, this year - I'm delighted but bricking it at the same time...

The job is in Zummerzett - near Bath - and I currently live in Wetherby, West Yorkshire - about 230 miles away.  I'll have to get digs - at least until the probation period is over - but will still be commuting each way every weekend (when I'm not on-site) to see Mrs M'coli and to sort the house out for sale/rent.

The crux here is that I hope to bag a cheap Monday-to-Friday digs, but this means either leaving Yorkshire at fuck-off Dark o'clock on a Monday morning, or going down late Sunday night and in-car camping for a night.  While the little Puglet 106 1.1 petrol will do in the interim despite me being quite short height-wise(5'6"ish an not that much less across) I can't get comfortable in the back (and the seats don't fully recline), so I will probably need something bigger, thriftier, and cheaper to run soon enough.  I've been watching the http://autoshite.com/topic/22616-replacing-the-octavia-new-work-daily-needed/

and

http://autoshite.com/topic/22603-preparation-of-veg-burning-machine/

threads with great interest, as a pre-PD TDI Octavia seemed an ideal candidate for veg-drinking mingebaggery, but the links to early JTD veggie tolerance look good too, I'll have to see if I can stretch out in the back of a mk2 Punto.

Has anyone else got any other suggestions for me, please?

Mid winter, sleep in car, are you crazy?

No; but I am realistic - there may be times when road conditions - excess snow for example, or circumstances - road closed twattery - dictate that I kip int' car, and thus prepare for the worst with sufficient sleeping baggage to keep me allive and comfortable.  Working nightshifts, I already keep a stove, water, 2 meals of tinned food, close-to-hand (i.e. bagged-up) wet weather gear and a sleeping bag in the car, just in case of road kaos, I was just envisaging it turned up to eleventy.  Those who have met me will probably agree that I have close to the ideal build for cold weather, too...

I've been offered a job as a graduate engineer, just over 2 years after graduating!

'kin 'ell! :D

but this means either leaving Yorkshire at fuck-off Dark o'clock on a Monday morning, or going down late Sunday night and in-car camping for a night.

Leaving at fuck-off Dark o'clock on a Monday morning is your best bet. Driving then will be a piece of piss compared to driving Sun night when the rest of the fuckwits are out on the road.

In the late '90s I used stay in shared house in Wycombe. A bloke I worked with (in his 50s), stayed in the same place. He commuted down on a Monday morning from Grimsby and spend all day driving (he was a van courier) to silly o'clock sometimes - in a Renault Trafic. Although he was only there Mon-Fri, his room rent was for the week anyway and TBH it was rare to see him on a Sunday night unless he had a pre-booked stupid o'clock start on Monday morning.

Sleeping in a car is for when your wife kicks you out and you have a Jag:

alexeisayle800.jpg

don't do it, else you'll be on pills for your nerves.

^^^ Sometimes, the option of leaving on at FO Dark O'clock might not be available- the snow might've paralised the roads by then.  The missus and I came up from Devon in January 2013 being chased by the weather front, if this happens again I want to be in position before I get snowed in!

Labia SDI, in estate flavour for in-car kippage?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-Estate-1-9-SDI-nonturbo-Diesel-/262170822874?hash=item3d0a9948da:g:iNoAAOSwbdpWXhH3

68bhp isn't going to set your pants on fire but it will do upwards of 60mpg on a run, on veg.

They're alright, long gearing for the relatively low power, 2500rpm at 70mph and a good cruiser.

the snow might've paralised the roads by then.

OMGSNOKAOS! If it does happen it's fuck all days in the year and everyone is in the same boat - any decent employer will understand, any that don't ain't worth working for.

Besides, as pointed out previously cheap digs may well include Sat/Sun (as who else are they going to rent to the weekends?)

Have you still got your camper? Certainly wouldn't be cheap to commute in but any chance of getting somewhere safe to use it as a base, thus saving on rent money in the interim and meaning you may have a bit more funds for commuting fuel, giving you a few more options.

I'm currently commuting to Auckland for work on a sporadic basis and the 205 GTI has been replaced on these duties by a mk3 Mondeo wagon for the time being whilst other fleet stuff gets sorted. Being of similar height to you (and possibly similar stature nowadays...), I can vouch that there's room to bed down for a kip when the need takes me, though nothing beats having a room at the other end; being a mingebag though, I get a self contained flat on a campsite and take my own bedding, so always have a sleeping bag and pillow handy.

In all honesty though, my kips are just that - a bit of shut eye on the way up or down if I've timed it right and perhaps 15-20 mins over lunch if I eat quickly enough. I've toyed with the idea of getting a small camper again to replace the campsite accommodation, as it'd be nice to have a space of my 'own' when away from home. 

Actually, just remembered I used my brothers 740 wagon in a similar fashion when I had a week's work in Birmingham and even went to the trouble of making some cardboard curtains etc. to keep out light but fortunately some of the blokes I was working with took pity on me and sorted me out with a much nicer place for the princely sum of a box of beers. Honestly, I think using a car as a room would be OK for only a very short period of time.

I did this a few years ago, living in Bristol and working in Uxbridge so rented a room in a shared house in Hayes. Depending on weather and how I felt I would either drive down late on Sunday evening or early on Monday morning and knock off at 3pm on a Friday and head home. Did it for nigh on 12 months until we could get the house sorted and a move to London organised.

Buy a shit caravan and pitch it on a site somewhere halfway between the two, then do half the journey sunday night, and the rest monday morning.

In addition the van courier mentioned above, there was another motorcycle courier who commuted down from Middlesbrough and stayed in caravan during the week on a farm just outside Wycombe. He never did the winter though. Strictly April to September.

So just modify ruffgeezers suggestion and find somewhere to pitch at a location somewhere very near the job, buy a 1970's Sprite 400 and it's job jobbed.

Just set off in the morning.

I've been getting to West London at 6.30am which is a 4am start, the M1 is almost pleasant that time of the morning

Must admit when I have to take the lorry down south (anywhere south of the A1 or M1 junctions with the M25) I now leave at around 3-4am. As Reg Balls says roadworks can throw a spanner in occasionally but you can usually plan ahead if you can be arsed. 

At least there's enough matrix signs that you rarely encounter unexpected roadworks, and with a bit of experience and Google Maps you can hop off at one junction and back on. Even in the wee hours that's not unpleasant.

Traffic England (the government agency formally known as the Highways Agency) also have quite a good app, and a really good website that tell you what all the matrix signs say the length of the motorway and what the average speed is between each junction.

The website even lets you view all the CCTV cameras covering the motorway. I was being driven down the motorway last week, kept refreshing the camera until I got a picture of us passing it. FAMOUS.

i got a 2000 w reg mk1 sharan sport tdi 110 non pd engine so may run on veg never tried it though,silver she a bit tatty, 142k 9 months mot, but hasn't moved hardly since i done it, in the last 5k its had new cat, oil and filter, gear oil, coolant flush and new thermostat, welding at the front box section under floor where they all go, its still taxed to get you home, got 6 seats, front fogs, climate air con(i think its cold but can't remember) electric windows, alloys, heated front screen, cd player works but you can't see the display that well, gaffer tape round drivers mirror dent in pass rear door bottom, speaker grills broke seats a bit tatty in front but have covers on, but very reliable, good on fuel etc etc, owned for two years, all for £450 ono

I don't know about you but how are you going to get a decent nights sleep in a car? Then what about getting a wash in the morning or where you going to store your clothes or have a shit or a shave? Commendations on you getting a job but works soon going to tire of you turning up looking like worzel gummidge.

Don't like the sound of a camper stove in a car environment, do they not give off co2?

Safety first young man and what about piss heads coming out the pubs and banging on the roof or windows for a laugh?

Bed is more saferer!

Stoves do give off CO2 but that's not a big problem, it's CO that's the silent killer.  I don't tend to use the stove in the car anyway unless it's well ventilated and I'm outside it, but usually it's on the ground.

I don't know about you but how are you going to get a decent nights sleep in a car? Then what about getting a wash in the morning or where you going to store your clothes or have a shit or a shave? Commendations on you getting a job but works soon going to tire of you turning up looking like worzel gummidge.

I wasn't planning on staying in the car all week, just on the way down or on the way back.